Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

2nd Degree or worse tearing?

Did anyone have 2nd degree or worse tearing? If so, how did you heal? How long did it take? Dr gave me Epifoam, a Peri Bottle and Witch Hazel pads. I put the Epi and A&D ointment on my pads everytime I go to bathroom after squirting w peri bottle and then blotting with tissue and witch hazel pads. I feel like the wounds will never heal. Especially since I can't sit still (it hurts to sit, and I feel pressure when I stand). Showers do seen to make me feel better. DH bought me a Sitz bath today, I think I may try it later but I'm nervous. Do you all have any other tricks for helping to get back to normal down there?

Re: 2nd Degree or worse tearing?

• Options
    My OB sewed for ever on me down there and I had a second degree tear. I just wore the thick pads and lined it with witch hazel pads. I didn't heal 99% of the way till he was 5-6 weeks old and I still have a sore spot!
  • Options
    I had a 2nd degree tear with both my deliveries. 

With DS, I was still not 100% at my 6w PP. My OB thought I had been having intercourse. I definitely was not. I used my peri bottle every time I went to the washroom. I also dried the area with my blow dryer (on warm heat) every time if I didn't have the luxury of laying on my bed, bare bottom, to let myself air dry. I made sure to dry the area completely for the first 3-4w PP. 

With DD, I did the same but I also lined my pads with Tucks pads (witch hazel). Many friends suggested I sit in a sitz bath.

I honestly think that making sure the area was completely dry both times is what made the biggest difference and helped me heal the most. 

I will say that once the tissue has healed, it can still be painful. With DS, I waited a while to have intercourse and it wasn't pain free until about a dozen times (it was less painful each time though). This time, I am finding that it's taking less time for me to feel normal again. Honestly, before having DD, I still had moments where it felt like my incision tore again (particularly when my OB gave me an internal exam at the end of my pg with DD). So there are times where I still feel it.

I'm sorry. I know it sucks, but you WILL get back to a point where you're healed and comfortable again.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    2nd degree with both kids. It took a few dats to feel normal again,a day or two less with #2.
  • Options
    I had a 2nd degree & could feel the doctor stitching. PPs covered anything that I did care wise but it took 5 weeks to sit comfortably, I'm 8 weeks out now & just feel slight bruising when I sit on the toilet. Hang in there! If you are BF, I've found laying on our sides to nurse helps keep me off my undercarriage!
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:
    I had a 3rd degree, bordering on 4th degree and the healing process was worse than the birth or dealing with a newborn! Just give yourself time and know that you WILL heal. It just sucks for a while. Sounds like you have all the necessary supplies so keep using them and hang in there.

+1 to this.  3rd degree tear.  Was far worse than my 4 hours of pushing and 17 dirty diapers a day.  Tomorrow marks 5 weeks since Emily's birth and just in the past couple days I notice I don't have to use the peri bottle and witch hazel every time.  One other thing you might want to try is dermoplast spray.  They sell it in drugstores, and it's a topical spray to help with burning/itching.  I'm not sure it really did much for me but it's something else the hospital sent me home with.  Also, did the hospital give you those really large ice packs?  If not, try putting an ice pack (wrapped up obviously) in your pad for about 20 minutes.  This really helped me the first 5-7 days.

Finally, this is something someone recommended to me on a board and I think it helped:  https://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Sitz-Bath-Spray/dp/B000K2YF1S

Good luck!  It does seem like it's taking forever, but eventually you'll start to feel better.  I still don't feel 100% but at least now I can sit like a normal person. ;)
  • Options
    giggler25 said:
    Nicb13 said:
    I had a 3rd degree, bordering on 4th degree and the healing process was worse than the birth or dealing with a newborn! Just give yourself time and know that you WILL heal. It just sucks for a while. Sounds like you have all the necessary supplies so keep using them and hang in there.

+1 to this.  3rd degree tear.  Was far worse than my 4 hours of pushing and 17 dirty diapers a day.  Tomorrow marks 5 weeks since Emily's birth and just in the past couple days I notice I don't have to use the peri bottle and witch hazel every time.  One other thing you might want to try is dermoplast spray.  They sell it in drugstores, and it's a topical spray to help with burning/itching.  I'm not sure it really did much for me but it's something else the hospital sent me home with.  Also, did the hospital give you those really large ice packs?  If not, try putting an ice pack (wrapped up obviously) in your pad for about 20 minutes.  This really helped me the first 5-7 days.

Finally, this is something someone recommended to me on a board and I think it helped:  https://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Sitz-Bath-Spray/dp/B000K2YF1S

Good luck!  It does seem like it's taking forever, but eventually you'll start to feel better.  I still don't feel 100% but at least now I can sit like a normal person. ;)
    3rd degree tear here. It does get better but it takes a while. I took 2 different pain meds, used the peri bottle and dermaplast spray. I had witch hazel but only used them for BMs.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• Options
    2nd degree tear after a breech vag delivery. It took a good 8 weeks for me to heal. There was a small area in the tear where the skin was still healing and it burned like hell if urine got on it. My doc said not everyone heals in 6 weeks which is why standard mTernity leave should be longer than that. Almost 12 weeks out and my bottom still feels sore sometimes. And every morning my pubic bone hurts!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    4th degree tear here. First few weeks sucked. Recovering from that was so much worse than anything I ever expected. I'm almost 6 weeks pp and feeling better. I still use the peri bottle and sometimes when peeing it stings (also had vaginal tear on the side) but it does get better. I doubt I'll get any clearance at my 6 week pp checkup but I'm totally okay with that!

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    Are you taking your pain meds? Advil might help make you more comfortable. Witch hazel pads helped me a lot and the peri bottle. The dermoplast burned so I never used it. I felt much better after 2 weeks.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @luvmybundle‌ @Jcrewgirl85‌ - I had a 3rd degree tear and have been noticing a new stinging when I pee sometimes but just recently. I am 5wks pp and was mostly feeling better before i noticed the new stinging. I was afraid it might be a UTI but this explanation makes much more sense! Thank you!!
  • Options
    I had a fourth degree tear and it might sound weird, but I've been wearing tight spanx during the day and it has really helped having something tight down there to hold in my pads and other various products. It has just helped things stay put. I am a little over two weeks pp and I'm still irritated, but at least it doesn't feel like I'm shitting glass anymore.....
  • Options
    3rd degree tear. I felt good around 3-4 weeks. Just got the clear at my 6 week appointment the other day. A sitz bath will feel really nice, even if it's for a minute or two. I took motrin, and that seemed to help. They gave me an Rx for percocet, but never used it. I felt like I would never heal, and sitting was the worst. But it will get better before you know it!
    May 14 Jan Siggy Challenge New Years resolutions I will not keep: Saving Money
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:

This. Yeah it seems like the healing process is worse than labor and delivery! I think what makes it harder is knowing that I can't do all the things I would normally do effortlessly (ie cleaning, using the bathroom). Aggggh I'll be glad when this is over with!
  • Options
    giggler25 said:

Nicb13 said:

Thank you! I'm going to store to find the dermoplast spray ASAP! I've been itching like hell down there!
  • Options

2nd degree tear after a breech vag delivery. It took a good 8 weeks for me to heal. There was a small area in the tear where the skin was still healing and it burned like hell if urine got on it. My doc said not everyone heals in 6 weeks which is why standard mTernity leave should be longer than that. Almost 12 weeks out and my bottom still feels sore sometimes. And every morning my pubic bone hurts!

Omg that sounds horrible! :-( yes I agree that maternity leave should be longer than 6 weeks. And paid. Wow re: your pubic bone. So what are you using for relief for that?
  • Options
    roo1oo said:

Are you taking your pain meds? Advil might help make you more comfortable. Witch hazel pads helped me a lot and the peri bottle. The dermoplast burned so I never used it. I felt much better after 2 weeks.

I stopped taking the ibuprofen after I left the hospital. The pain has gotten much more bearable, but it's just discomfort and itching now that's killing me. Like discomfort when I sit, feeling pressure (like everything is going to fall out from the bottom) when I stand, burning a bit when I pee if I don't use peri bottle, and burning a bit when I apply witch hazel pads. I'm guessing this is all part of the healing process and not much I can do about it?
  • Options
    fsumomfsumom member
    edited July 2014
    I had a 2nd degree tear that my midwife actually thought was a 4th degree tear at first. My OB had to be paged to do the repair which took an hour and a half! He said he'd never seen a tear like it....eeek. I also had tears aligning the wall of my vagina and an episiotomy. I'm 4 weeks pp and am still healing. I can't walk for too long or I start hurting.
    ~Jessica~ 

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    I had a 2nd degree tear and honestly I didn't have much pain from it. I'm 11 weeks pp now and it still hurts when I have sex but that's really all it ever bothered me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    I had a really bad 3rd degree with my older son and a 2nd degree with time. I can't believe the difference between the two, it is like night and day.

If you stopped using pain meds when you left the hospital and you are just experiencing some burning and pressure, I'd say you are healing really well though I'm not sure how many days/weeks pp you are. Sitz baths or even regular bath waist down with warm water really help your healing so if you can fit some in, do it. I just use everything they give me, meds, peri bottle, witch hazel, dermaplast, etc. and even last time after my more severe experience, I was good to go at my 6 week pp appointment. First time(s) you do have sex again, plan on lots of lube and a condom; less friction in this case the better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    erinmserinms member
    I had a 4th with my first and a 3rd with my second. Honestly, the3rd degree was a cakewalk in comparison but I also think that is first delivery vs second. My big advice: rest, rest, rest! I walked about a week after delivery (just into target, not even around the store) and tore a stitch. Omg I about wanted to die. So don't push it. Give yourself a long chanceto heal.
  • Options
    Thanks @cookieinva‌ duly noted! Although I can't imagine even the THOUGHT of having sex right now. Maybe at 6 weeks it'll be a different story. Lol
  • Options
    @erinms‌ yeah this is really good advice. I think I was trying to do too much (it's really hard for me to not do anything when there's so much to do!). But I'm learning to really relax all that I can. The stitches are much better now and DS will be 3 weeks tmrw. I think only the ones toward the back are left to heal.
  • Options
    @hordol‌ oh wow it still hurts 11weeks pp to have sex? Yikes! That scares me! I wonder how long it takes for it to feel normal again.
  • Options
    I had a 2nd degree and felt better after 4 weeks. I'm now 7 weeks pp and haven't attempted intercourse yet. Kinda scared! Try taking your boppy/nursing pillow and sitting on it. It may help take some pressure off your bottom. Also warm baths in the bathtub and the dermablast spray as mentioned in pp. feel better! I know it's rough!
  • Options
    Just wanted to update. I'm now almost 8 weeks pp and feel 100% normal. I felt 90% at my 6 week pp. We still haven't had sex yet but mostly because I'm not mentally ready. I promise it does get better!

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• Options
    I had a 2nd degree tear with my first son. I used the peri bottle and dermoplast every time I used the restroom. Also, if it started to hurt I would use the witch hazel pads. Definitely try the sitz bath, it was a lifesaver for me.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Options

Just wanted to update. I'm now almost 8 weeks pp and feel 100% normal. I felt 90% at my 6 week pp. We still haven't had sex yet but mostly because I'm not mentally ready. I promise it does get better!

@Jcrewgirl85‌ thanks for the update! There's hope!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"