LGBT Parenting
Options

A few questions for KD users

My wife and i have been thinking about using her best friend as a known donor... 
This is such an out of the blue question for me to ask but i was wondering if any of you that used a known donor worried about there age? Like to old? I watch to much tv and i saw something that said if a donor is past 36 the chances of things being wrong gets higher. I have no problems having a child that has something wrong but i would hate myself if our ages made it happen. I mean i just turned 32 today so i still have a little while. OLDER BUMPIES PLEASE DONT TAKE OFFENCE TO THAT I DONT BELIEVE ANYONE IS TO OLD TO BE A PARENT. Did you get a full run down of medical history from him and his family? I just need some help figuring our journey. I thought we had picked a donor but she has broken her foot and we cant afford to do it now she says lol
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance 
Jocelyn   

Re: A few questions for KD users

• Options
    I had used a known donor who's four years older than me. I have a beautiful son. For some men, older does increase risks for certain things. Just as for women, an increased risks also with age. I was AMA and had GD during pregnancy with my LO. It is perspection - get a clear medical history from him if you can, which will help you in making the decision. If he isn't comfortable, then look for a different donor.
    Good luck and welcome.
  • Options
    Hello!!! We used a known donor but he is 24. I dont believe 36 is to old as long as he's healthy. And yes have him do all his tests before hand and if your concerned a sperm count perhaps for peace of mind : ) Good luck!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used a KD, but he is late 20s.  I don't think 36 would be considered old for sperm donation though.

Yes, get a full medical history.  Currently std panel, recently physical, stuff like that.  If you are doing at home insemination then you don't have to worry about having the sperm quarantined, but you will have to check our your laws in your area as far as how to handle the legal aspects of a Dr doing the insemination and also parental rights after the baby is born.  It is a lot to consider.
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    Thank you all for your input. I had planned to get the whole medical and std paper work. But i wasnt sure if i should talk to him about his family medical history ( like genetic problems).  You are all so helpful. I have been looking at donor paper work alot lately because we were going to use another friend as a donor but he couldnt for a very sad reason. Im in Texas so who knows about the legal stuff everything is backwards here lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"