Breastfeeding
Options

I'm at a loss (long)

edited June 2014 in Breastfeeding
Hi ladies.

So I put in a call to my LC but I'm just curious if anyone else has dealt with this.

My LO is 3 weeks old and I had a slight supply issue in the beginning but now that's fine. I was supplementing 1-2oz at night but really not a lot and not every night. I finally figured out his hunger cry from his fussy/tired cry. I think he was just eating the formula to eat it after a nursing session since he usually spit it up. He rarely spits up breast milk. We also cluster feed from 2-5 and again from 9-11

He pees during every nursing session like clock work every two hrs and poops with every diaper change with 3-4 big ones and the rest small ones. He is content after eating and ether stays awake and quietly looks around or goes to sleep.

The pedi says he is very healthy and if it wasn't for the slow weight gain he wouldn't be concerned. I know LO is swallowing I can hear it but the pedi and I are stumped as to why he only gained 2 oz in one week. He is 6.10 lbs. He was 6.03lbs at birth.

Could we have a breastfeeding issue I'm not seeing? His latch is great and doesn't hurt. I'm just so shocked and worried. Anyone else had slow weight gain but no major signs to something being wrong? I don't even know what to fix since I thought we finally were doing amazing.

Re: I'm at a loss (long)

• Options

Have you done any weighed feedings?

Was one weight taken shortly after eating and the next after a big poop?

You know I was thinking that. He had a big poop before he was weighed today but I can't remember if he ate before his last weighing which was 6.08lbs last week. The pedi wants me to pump after nursing and give him what ever I pump but I can't respond to the pump and my breasts feel empty. I'm hoping my LC can have me do a weighted feeding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"