Baby Names
Options

Marley or Maya?

Maya is the name we have loved for years, while Marley is the new name that has crept up on us that we also love!  On one hand, Maya is the prefect name because its sounds so beautiful and has many beautiful meanings, but on the other hand the popularity of the name is growing consistently which we are not too happy about but hey, what can you do.  Marley is different, no where near as popular, and pretty cool if you ask me.

Which one would you guys choose and why? Thanks ladies!Smile

Re: Marley or Maya?

• Options
    I like them both, but I think Maya may serve her better as an adult.  Marley is cute on a little girl, but might be too cutesy on a grown woman.
  • Options
    Marley, and I can't say why I don't like Maya, I just don't!  Marley is cute and sassy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I say Maya because Marley will now be associated with a dog.
  • Options

When I hear Marley I think of either a dog or the dead man from A Christmas Carol. Neither one is an image that, personally, I would want associated with my daughter.

Maya is beautiful, though.  

"I
  • Options
  • Options
    I love Maya!  For Marley, I think the association with Marley and Me will probably be strong for a while.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Maya... You rarely hear that - and it's beautiful and unique... Marley is just like that movie and I can see it getting very popular.
  • Options
    Maya. I think Marley is too cutsie.
  • Options
    I like Maya best!
  • Options

Maya- beautiful name and also happens to be Uma Thurman's dd name.

Marley- a big yellow lab.

• Options

Maya- beautiful!

Marley- I now think of a dog's name and it seems masculine to me, or the name of a really ugly woman, sorry!

• Options
    Marley will forever be associated with Marley and Me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetalltalltrees:

When I hear Marley I think of either a dog or the dead man from A Christmas Carol. Neither one is an image that, personally, I would want associated with my daughter.

Maya is beautiful, though.  

The first thing I think of is also A Christmas Carol.  I think it was Jacob Marley.  In my opinion it just doesn't sound pretty for a girl.  I like Maya. 

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    I think Marley is really unfeminine and I just don't like it at all.
  • Options
    I think Maya is beautiful
  • Options

imagesherron and troy:
    I say Maya because Marley will now be associated with a dog.

ditto.

• Options
    Sorry but both are NMS.
  • Options
    I <3 them both, and I think the Marley & Me association will die down really fast.
    border=
    DD 10/31/09 - BFP 3/22/11 M/C confirmed 4/9/11 at 8w4d - BFP 10/5/11 EDD 06/16/11 BabyFruit Tickerimageimageimage

*Vote on our Baby names*
  • Options
    I prefer Maya.
  • Options
    I think Marley is more popular than you think.?
    I like Maya better.
  • Options

I really like the name Maya. 

I didn't think of the movie Marley and me (probably because I haven't seen it, only trailers) when I heard the name Marley, but I did think of Jacob Marley from A Christmas Carol.  I don't think the name is terrible, though, I just like Maya a lot better.

• Options
    I like Maya a lot, but it is getting very popular That is what I am naming my baby girl. But who cares it is a beautiful name. I think of Marly as a cool girl  name, kind of boho. I pitcure her friends with Zoie Kravitz or a nicole richie type girls ( minus the drugs of course LOL).
  • Options
    I like Maya.  I think Marley sounds more like a boy's name (or a dog's), as pps have pointed out. 
  • Options
    I would never choose a very popular name for my child.  But, I love the name Maya.  I think that Marley is an awesome name, and so cool.  But, I think that because of the movie and book a lot of people will relate the name to a dog, which I would hate.
  • Options

Maya, sounds like a girls' name

Marley sounds like a boys name.

I love Maya!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageTess12:
    I like them both, but I think Maya may serve her better as an adult.  Marley is cute on a little girl, but might be too cutesy on a grown woman.

Ditto. And Marley reminds me too much of Bob Marley, so I don't think it sounds feminine at all.

• Options

Maya - beautiful, feminine name.

Marley - masculine, dog's name.

• Options
    definetly Maya!!
    VOTE on my Name List Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely Maya.  To me, Marley is the dog in Marley and Me.  Stick with your original intent!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Options

Maya - classy, people can spell and pronounce it, would grow well with a child.  

Associations:  Maya Angelou, ancient pre-Colombian civilization

Marley - a little girl's name, trendy, will forever be "Ooh, she was born in the late 2000s, early 2010s"  Kind of like Mindy for the 80s. 

Assocations: a dog, a reggae singer, an old dude from a Christmas Carol

Of course, these are just my opinions.  Name your baby whatever you want!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I had a Marley in a grade 8 class.  She was a little whippersnapper and her name really suited her.  She is the only Marley I have ever met.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"