Pregnant after 35

Is anyone NOT having tests performed?

I am 38 and this is my 2nd pregnancy. We do not go to our first appt until end of July (will be 9 weeks). I was discussing all of the tests we can have performed with my husband (didn't do any of them with our first-was 34 then). He still doesn't want to have any tests because it will not change anything, only add worry if our risk factors are high. I am on the fence because I want to be prepared. 

With our last pregnancy, our OB assured us that they would be able to tell us any defects at the 20 week anatomy u/s. So that is all we had then. I am trying my hardest to NOT let worry and doubt consume me and I am afraid if I have these tests they will only cause me more stress and anxiety.

Have any of you opted out of the tests?

Re: Is anyone NOT having tests performed?

• Hi, 
    We're opting out of all prenatal testing, I will be 35 when I deliver via repeat c-section. We've opted out on our two previous pregnancies and aside from missing out on unneeded worry we feel confident with our decision because- 
    - Neither side of our family has any history of genetic issues
    - The hospital I will be delivering at again has a level III Nicu and is one of the best in the state. Additionally, we are right outside of Chicago, so anything our hospital might be missing is easily accessible.
    - The outcome of any tests wouldn't change anything about how we handle the pregnancy as a family. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • This is my opinion. Some tests are good, some are bad, IMO.

I do think doing test ahead of time isn't purely due to "will I terminate?"  Some is for mental, financial, preparation. For things like spina bifida, they can actually do surgery in utero for issues, so that is one major pro for knowing ahead of time.

with that said, I think things like the NT Scan, triple screen, quad screen, CAN unnecessarily scare women  (especially older women ) as they are seem to have a ton of "false positives" as they just provide RISK FACTORS, no definitive answers on whether the child has a problem. They use AGE as part of their ratios which automatically means older women are more likely to have scarier risk factors. Although technically true in reality, I think it is more likely to lead to unnecessary fear

I predict within the next 5 years, the NIPT  (i.e. Matern21, Verifiy, Harmony, Panorama) tests will trump some of those other tests because they have much more accuracy and they are non-invasive. They use the free cell DNA to be much more of a predictor.

for me, I went into the NT scan naively, I figured it would "clear me" and it did the opposite. It gave me a scary risk factor number (mainly due to my AGE) that lead me to have a horrible, scary 3 weeks. In the end, my doctor ordered the Panorama test which cleared me. In hindsight, I wish my doctor just did that test first (which I am sure didn't happen due to the cost of it)

I respect women on both sides of the decision. For ME, If I get pregnant in the future, I will decline the NT scan for sure. I will ask for the Panorama test (even if I have to pay out of pocket) because it is much more reliable.

===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• Loading the player...
  • We are opting out as well. Never did any sort of testing with the first 3. And I remember getting extremely nervous with child one wondering about if we should or shouldn't and it just added all this unneeded stress on me and the baby that we just didn't need.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • We are choosing not to do any optional tests. It was a simple and mutual decision for us..
  • I did the Panorama test at 9 weeks. I will be 39 at delivery. Did the test because we have 3 other boys (6,4 and 2) and I felt I needed to be prepared. That way we could prepare the other kids and have any help lined up.
    As it was all my results came back and were fine. That was reassuring.

• My initial decision is to opt out. I didn't do them for my two boys and wasn't really suggested because of age. We don't have family history. I think it is a tough decision, though. I can see both sides of the decision.
  • We did the panorama for several reasons: Information is power and we would want to educate and prepare ourselves. Our OB would monitor us differently if there was an issue. With some disabilities they can intervene and reduce the risk of the child not making it. If the baby needed a nicu we would need to deliver at a different hospital since our town doesn't have one. There are tons of reasons to know ahead aside from termination.

• We opted out last time, same reasoning. Then with a threatened MC, got the bloodwork done. Baby was T21. We unfortunately lost her at 17 weeks, but I was doing research and finding resources and support groups. Which I found very helpful. Also we were able to name our little girl, which I found comforting. I will get the test this go round, so that if we need to prepare I can... and am praying that we just get to bring home 2 little babies :-) but if last time had been uneventful, I would be skipping again. Its just that I am goung to worry anyway this time, so forewarned is forearmed :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kursemkursem member
    We're skipping the tests.  I'm 34 now (will be 35 when i deliver) and there is no family history of anything on either side.  I'm also a worrywart, so we're thinking if we get a false positive i just might make us all stressed/crazy.  We have an excellent NICU here, and it's also reassuring that one of the best children's hospitals in the west is a 10 min helicopter ride away.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• path75path75 member
    I am 38 and skipped the tests. I know knowledge is power but since I dont have family history I saw it personally as undue stress.

• path75path75 member
    I am 38 and skipped the tests. I know knowledge is power but since I dont have family history I saw it personally as undue stress.

• path75path75 member

• path75path75 member

• path75path75 member
    Sorry i am on mobile. Oops.

• Lol.. It's happened to me too path75... Ps, cute pug!! ;)
  • I did the non-invasive screening tests that you can get early on. They all came back low-risk, but either way I probably would've opted out of anything invasive unless it was for a condition that can be treated before birth (spina bifida, etc.). I'm the kind of person that gets more stressed out & neurotic about feeling like I'm not using available info to be as prepared as possible, though I know no test is 100% accurate either way. So I think the decision just depends on your own mindset/point of view of how test results would affect you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"