February 2015 Moms

corn dogs?

Yes most of my posts r food related I am a foodie and not ashamed! I'm going to an outdoor fest tomorrow and I was wondering are corn dogs safe??? I've seen mixed reviews
Married: 9.29.12 
BFP: 6.8.14
EDD: 2.20.15
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: corn dogs?

• Since they are cooked, they are safe. Healthy is a different story;)
  • cls78cls78 member
    I now want a corn dog!!!
    TTC since May/June 2012 
    Sept 2013 testing:
    SA #1 Low motility (17%) 
    SA #2 Lower sperm count, but much higher motility
    CD 3 Bloodwork and ultrasound - Normal HSG - Clear tubes 
    Oct/Nov 2013 Cycle 1 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN  
    Nov/Dec 2013 Cycle 2 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    Jan/Feb 2014 Cycle 3 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    2/20/14 Follow up consult RE recommends IVF with ICSI 
    3/10/14 New patient consult with RMA NJ 
    3/11/14 AMH and other Bloodwork to prep for IVF with ICSI at RMA NJ
    3/28/14 Saline Sonogram - All good
    March/April 2014 IVF #1 Antagonist Protocol
    BCP/Bravelle/Menopur/Ganirelix
    4/16/14 ER 26 Retrieved!!!
    4/17/14 Fert Report 22 Mature 21 Fertilized w/ ICSI
    4/22/14 Report #2 15 BLASTS
    5/24/14 FET!!!  (Transferring 2 snowflakes)
    6/2/14 Beta #1 575!!! :)
    6/4/14 Beta #2 2060!!! :)
    6/11/14 1st Ultrasound...Saw 2 Gestational Sacs!!  Beta #3 34,312!!! 
    6/18/14 2nd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 112bpm Baby B 117bmp <3 Beta #4 172,080!!!
    6/25/14 3rd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 150bpm Baby B 158bpm <3 Beta #5 232,134!!! 
    7/3/14 4th Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 173bpm Baby B 162bpm <3 Beta #6 269,228!!!
    Graduated from RMA!!  First appt with OB 7/8/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Corn dogs have the same concerns as hotdogs, lunchmeat, unpasteurized anything, etc.  Chance of listeria.  Pregnant women are more susceptible to listeria than non pregnant people, something like 20x's more likely to become infected.  I personally would eat one but this is coming from someone living in Germany (eat bratwurst or go hungry:)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @animalcrckr The chance of listeria is only in unheated hotdogs and lunchmeat.  If you heat the lunchmeat or hot dog before eating it, the heat kills any listeria that might be on the product.  Again though, hot dogs and lunchmeat aren't exactly the healthiest meat choice, but that is a different issue/concern.  Most people don't eat hot dogs right out of the fridge before heating them first. 
  • @animalcrckr The chance of listeria is only in unheated hotdogs and lunchmeat.  If you heat the lunchmeat or hot dog before eating it, the heat kills any listeria that might be on the product.  Again though, hot dogs and lunchmeat aren't exactly the healthiest meat choice, but that is a different issue/concern.  Most people don't eat hot dogs right out of the fridge before heating them first. 
    Yeah, but at a public place you are not the one heating it up.  If it has been done improperly or has sat out long enough to allow bacteria more time to grow you could still be taking a risk.  Lunch meat and hotdogs must be heated to steaming/160F.  The only reason I know this is because we were at a World Cup fest last night and my only dinner option was either bratwurst or curry wurst.  A GI doc friend gave me the info.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Yeah, but at a public place you are not the one heating it up.  If it has been done improperly or has sat out long enough to allow bacteria more time to grow you could still be taking a risk.  Lunch meat and hotdogs must be heated to steaming/160F.  The only reason I know this is because we were at a World Cup fest last night and my only dinner option was either bratwurst or curry wurst.  A GI doc friend gave me the info.
    arent corn dogs deep fried?  that would probably heat them up way over the save zone
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've bend wondering about hotdogs but from everything I've read it seems that as long as it's heated you're fine :-)

• Now I want to go to a fair or something and get a corn dog and funnel cake! Too bad there's no fair near here til the end of summer. :(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Last pregnancy I drove around my entire town to all the different grocery stores stalking Girl Scouts to buy some cookies.  And now thanks to reading all this I MUST... FIND... FAIR!
    Need Funnel Cake! 
    =P~

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If you are in doubt just ask for a fresh corn dog. Id assume that hot oil would kill anything..... And now i want fried cheese on a stick
    -------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
  • It's also a nitrate issue with hotdogs, bacon etc. but I'm of the mind set that a little "cheat" now and then never hurts. And honestly, ain't no way in hell I'm not eating bacon for 9 months!
  • I wish there was a fair for all of us pregnant ladies and everything we talked abput in this thread was there
    Married: 9.29.12 
    BFP: 6.8.14
    EDD: 2.20.15
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"