North Carolina Babies

Cloth Diapers

I am starting to research and learn more about cloth diapers.  We might just be able to stick with them for night time and weekend use, but I'd still like try them out.  Our baby might be staying in an in-home daycare so I am thinking about checking with her to see if she'd be willing to use CDs.

I am currently reading the Jillian's Drawers website to learn more.  It's very informative.  I will definitely be working (not sure how many days a week yet) after my maternity leave so I'll be rushed and busy.  I need something that's quick and efficient or I'm afraid DH and I will get frustrated.

I was just wondering which type of CD working moms like the best (fastest and easiest to take care of, etc.)? 

Also, DH might be watching her one day a week so I need something that's simple for him to learn.  I'll probably have to talk him into trying CDs. 

I'm not real sure where to start?  Do I just pick which type of diaper to go with and just order a few of those and see how it goes?  

Does anyone have the mini-shower?  

There's so many to choose from (prefolds, fitteds, etc.) that my mind is spinning right now.  Sorry for all the questions.  But you ladies are so knowledgeable about CDs!  This is probably just the beginning of my CD questions I feel like I'm just a the beginning of this CD adventure.  : )  TIA.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cloth Diapers

• It is overwhelming at first, but you're on the right track!  I'm a working mom, and Eli's daycare will not accept CDs.  But with an in-home center, you might get lucky. 

We use pockets.  For us, they seemed the easiest to use and the most mindless.  We also like that you can easily adjust the absorbancy, and they wash and dry quickly.  I like the idea of fitteds/covers, but they seemed like they'd be harder to keep up with as a working mom (ie, keeping up with the fitteds & covers, making sure DH was doing it right, wiping out covers, etc).  And of course AIOs are easy, but they are more expensive, take longer to dry, and aren't as easy to make extra absorbent.  But we do have a few on hand.  I think for us pockets are just what you said:  quick, easy, and efficient.  We use BG3.0s.

I did alot of research and just bought a few and started there.  Or you can do the diaper trial.  Whichever you're most comfortable with.  I felt pretty certain we were going to like the BGs, so I was ok with buying first.  But if you're unsure, I would suggest a trial.  Regardless, don't just up and buy your entire stash at once.  We started with 3 and continued using disposables as we built up our stash.  It wasn't a big deal since I had to buy disposables for daycare anyway.

By mini-shower are you talking about a diaper sprayer for the toilet?  We never used one.  I dump out what I can and the rest goes in the wash.  But alot of people have them and like them.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • AIOs are definitely the easiest to use, but the downsides are they are the most expensive and most take a while to dry (although I will say that my Nana's bottoms don't take any longer to dry than my other diapers).

I personally think fitteds are the easiest thing to use, but maybe that's just b/c I'm at home where I always have access to all of my dipes and covers. I hated stuffing pockets, but I know that pocket diapers are the number one choice for a lot (if not most) people.

If I were you, I think I'd use fitted and covers for night time and when I'm at home, and AIOs for daycare. But that's just me :).

ETA: we don't use a mini shower either. Right now I just toss everything in the wash and it's fine. Once she starts solids, I plan on using liners until her poop firms up a bit, and after that I'll toss what I can in the toilet and wash the rest.

• Loading the player...
  • Yea!  Where do you live?  I'll be teaching a CD workshop in the Triangle in the next month or so.

Really, all CDs are great, and don't worry too much about which kinds.  But I totally understand that there's so much out there that you need to begin someplace and prioritize!  Personally I recommend prefolds and fitteds because they're so adaptable.  You can put anything you want over them --- PUL covers, wool, or fleece.  With no cover, or with wool or fleece, they're breathable which helps prevent diaper rash.  (Kira's still on the tube of diaper cream I bought before she was born!)  We also use some AIOs for when we need a real quick change, but we admittedly don't use them often.  The nice thing about prefolds, fitteds, and AIOs is that they are (or can be) made of all natural materials.  (Pockets have a stay dry liner behind which you put the absorbent insert.  You can always add a stay dry liner to other diapers if you're using cream or are expecting a big poop so that they don't stain the diaper itself.)  Also, you can add extra absorbency to any type of CD.  Prefolds are cheap so I always recommend those first and foremost.  But I love our adorable fitteds, and they're much easier to use on a squirmy baby than prefolds are, and/or for daycares to use.  (Pockets and AIOs are equally easy to put on.)  AIOs can take longer to dry than the others, FYI, and there are a few additional "rules" for washing pockets, but overall they're equally easy to care for.  I respectfully disagree with mrsmikey in that I don't any are harder to learn to use, with the possible exception of prefolds because you have to learn to put them on.  (Fitteds give you more flexibility because you have your choice of fabric and cover, but it's not confusing, I promise. :))  I especially recommend fitteds for overnight because they're so absorbent and allow your baby to breathe.  We don't own a diaper sprayer (mini-shower) but those I know who have them love them and I'm tempted.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of helpful answers here!

I'll look for my CD 101 link again for you too if you haven't seen that!

ENJOY, and congrats!  You'll love them!!! Big Smile

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Thanks ladies!

Alchris-I have CD 101 & 102.  I haven't finished reading 102 yet.  It's on the ever growing "to read" list for all things baby.  Thanks so much for your help.  I live in SC.  Not very close to the triangle at all.  If you have another triad one, I'll come if I can.  I can always just visit my parents (who are about 30 min from WS) for the weekend and come for the workshop.  I've thought about that b/f if you have another one. 

• imagestarz080:

Thanks ladies!

Alchris-I have CD 101 & 102.  I haven't finished reading 102 yet.  It's on the ever growing "to read" list for all things baby.  Thanks so much for your help.  I live in SC.  Not very close to the triangle at all.  If you have another triad one, I'll come if I can.  I can always just visit my parents (who are about 30 min from WS) for the weekend and come for the workshop.  I've thought about that b/f if you have another one. 

Great!!!  Yea, that's kinda far away. Smile  We just had a huge list of women wanting one there and I couldn't remember if you were one of them!  Would March be too late for you to take a class?  Less time to buy can be a very good thing!  It doesn't take long to buy unless you want to buy everything used; I bought everything used and it took about a month. Stick out tongue

imageimageimage

• I think March might be a little late.  I was going to try not to travel then.  Oh well, this is when I get sad that I don't live in NC!  I'll just have to keep posting all my questions on the board!  : )  You're the CD expert on here!  I love the fact that there are so many CD moms on the board.  It's so helpful.

BTW, where should I look for used CDs?  Do sites like jillian's drawer's sell them or are they only new?  I think I'll probably go with used to save $.  Thanks!

• Diaper Swappers is the best place for used diapers.

• Starz, maybe next time I'm in G'ville visiting my parents you can come see my stash Big Smile.
  • imagestarz080:

I think March might be a little late.  I was going to try not to travel then.  Oh well, this is when I get sad that I don't live in NC!  I'll just have to keep posting all my questions on the board!  : )  You're the CD expert on here!  I love the fact that there are so many CD moms on the board.  It's so helpful.

BTW, where should I look for used CDs?  Do sites like jillian's drawer's sell them or are they only new?  I think I'll probably go with used to save $.  Thanks!

If I do the Triangle one in January I'll also do one in February but I'm not sure where, but I'll keep you posted!  Do you mind letting me know your e-mail address?

I highly recommend DiaperSwappers!  I've had nearly all great experiences there.  There's a FSOT (for sale or trade) section which is where you'll look for goodies.  Most prices are listed with shipping included (ppd = postage paid) and you can send Paypal and usually get the diapers in just a few days.  The PM (private message) and feedback systems are great -- don't be afraid to ask questions.  I bought Kira's *entire* newborn stash used -- I highly recommend that route, especially when you're first beginning!!! :)

imageimageimage

• I LOVE Diaper Swappers. A little too much. In fact, it's one of my NY resolutions to stay off that site! I'm a sucker for a good deal, even if she doesn't really need that diaper :).

Jillians Drawers has a gently used section, and you might not get quite as good of a deal, but I think the prices are pretty reasonable and I've heard that the quality is great.

• I find AIOs to be the easiest, and this is currently what we use for the daytime, and fitteds and covers at night.  I am with Jenhum in that I hated stuffing pockets!  But I know there are many who really love their pockets.  As we move from size M to L, I may buy more fitteds to use with fleece covers for around the house to let his bum breathe.  I haven't tried wool since I've always found it to be itchy on me, and DS has such sensitive skin, I'm afraid he would be irritated too.

Alchris - looking forward to your Triangle area workshop in January! :)

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will definitely check out diaper swappers!  Thanks for the rec.

Jenhum~We should definitely do that the next time you visit.  We were in Greenville the other night and went to USA Baby.  Super cute stuff.  We're actually making quite a few trips there these days for baby related items.  It's only about 30 min or so.

Alchris~ Just e-mail me at nestiestarz00@yahoo.com 

• I know I'm late on this, but I thought I'd still chime in. I LOVE pockets & AIOs b/c they are easy. J is VERY patient during diaper changes, so I stuff the pocket while he is on the changing table playing with his feet. I'm sure this will not last that long, but I'm enjoying it while it does. AIOs are so easy and Nana's Bottoms are great! I also really like Thirsties. Fitteds are OK, but not my fav b/c I hate covers...just too bulky. I also have a ton of outfits/clothes for J, so I prefer not to use longies, etc. I do have some & occasionally use them if we're just hanging around the house. Prefolds are the WORST if you're using them alone, but I don't think it's be too bad to use to stuff pockets if you needed to...I'm looking into some hemp prefolds & inserts for nights b/c J pees A LOT!!?

I did the Jillians Drawers trial & really liked it b/c I got to figure out what worked best for us. The used diapers from the trial are great I hear - they only have 3 weeks worth of use at most, so they have to be pretty good. I have bought a couple of dipes from Diaper Swappers & had a good experience.

I may come at this from a slightly different angle than most b/c I don't CD for the environmentally friendly aspect (nice bonus I guess, but honestly we rarely even recycle...no flames please). I had no intention of using CD, but J had serious issues with diaper rash. J had diaper rash basically from birth until we started CD - now no rashes unless I go back to disposables for a few days (mistake I made by not taking CD with me to my mom's one weekend). ?I'm also hoping they will be more economical in the long run (which they probably would be if they weren't so darn addicting! DH told me I need a CD intervention!)?

OK...that got long (sorry!), but I wanted to add my .02...?

• Reading Back's post made me think of something else.  It seems to me, and this is only from my personal observations, that most moms that use fitteds/covers are mom's of girls.  I think it's because they're so cute, and they fit well under dresses or with baby legs or longies or nothing at all.  It's harder with boys when you're dealing with the extra bulk and you're trying to get them in pants.  I realize boys can go without pants or wear baby legs too, but when you're a working mom, you usually dress your baby for daycare.  I just thought I'd throw that out there as a thought to ponder.  To me the fitted/cover world just works better for girls, and you'll find the styles and prints reflect that too.

• I totally agree with what Mikey says about Fitteds/Covers for girls - they are cute & so are babylegs. I can only imagine what my husband would say if I got J a pair of babylegs...hehehe
  • That's very true!  I was actually shocked when DH said I could get Liam some babylegs the other day!  I wouldn't have even thought to ask.  But Liam is sooo sensitive and prone to rash even in CDs that I want to put him in a fitted with fleece soaker around the house more often to let his bum breathe, and like Mikey said, pants wouldn't go over that, so I'd like to use babylegs to keep his legs warm.
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"