Parenting
Options

How do you work out as a single parent or if DH is traveling?

Sorry my title is weird.

Anyway- DH travels at least 2 weeks out of each month. I really am trying to stay motivated to exercise. I LOVE to run, and don't see how I can do that when he's gone. So I lose motivation.

My neighbor suggested running laps back and forth on the sidewalk in front of my home (like that side of the block). Would that look weird?

What other things do you do?
Blake 04/29/05 Will 06/12/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you work out as a single parent or if DH is traveling?

• Options
    Can you put LO in a jogging stroller and run around the neighborhood? Why are you limited just to the street outside your house? Is there a gym you can join that has childcare while you workout? Lots of Ys have that.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    aglennaglenn member

We invested in a treadmill because the only time I can work out is after the kids are in bed.  It has been a lifesaver.  I alternate running and doing workout videos.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Can you put LO in a jogging stroller and run around the neighborhood?
    **i have 3 kids: 9, 7, 3.5. ;(

Why are you limited just to the street outside your house?
    **because I couldn't leave them sleeping in the house and run, being on our street would keep the house in sight.

Is there a gym you can join that has childcare while you workout? Lots of Ys have that.
    **We looked into that. Unfortunately, with me just starting grad school things are super tight and we don't have the extra funds.

• Options
    @K3am‌ I didn't include that in my first post but I'm a SAHM.

@CTGirl30‌ - maybe. It would need to be on the cheap.
  • Options

I can take DS with me, but I hate having him there right before a meet. He's distracting. MIL will gladly take him most days. 

When those won't work, we have weights at home, or I will do a video. 

What kind of meets do you participate in?

We have weights I'm just weight illiterate :)

• Options
    Thanks everyone for all the good ideas. I really am a routine person and if I work out many days in a row then I love it and need to do it. If I miss a day, forget it.
  • Options

Those that have mentioned jogging strollers - what's the weight on those? I know they vary, but just curious. DD is 3.5 but she is 63lbs. She outgrew our regular stroller about 6-8 months ago because we couldn't close the bar over her lap with her feet up on the footrest.

• Options

Thanks @privacywanted - I'll have to measure DD tomorrow. She's super tall too but I don't know exactly how tall. I"ll have to look into that.

I did find one of those moms running groups in my city too :)

• Options
    I get up early and work out before ds gets up. I do a variety of videos
    image image
  • Options

Do you have a track nearby? Maybe the kids could play in the center grassy area while you loop around them and the youngest could go in a stroller if necessary.
  • Options

Do you have a track nearby? Maybe the kids could play in the center grassy area while you loop around them and the youngest could go in a stroller if necessary.
    Why didn't I think of that?! My boys elementary school (about a mile away) has a blacktop walking track right next to the school playground! :)
  • Options
    We bought a treadmill.  Put a monitor hooked up to a PS3 in front of it (games, Hulu/Netflix/etc).  It's awesomesauce.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am a former single parent, and now have a husband who is gone a lot.  I have always used gym childcare, or do DVD's at home when they are in bed.  

I also have a jogging stroller, and sometimes I'll do jogs with friends but I suck at running.  I'd rather do pilates. 

2 Beautiful Boys 11.7.03 & 4.23.13
  • Options
    I don't have time to go to the gym or space to put a treadmill in. Workout DVDs have been my lifesaver. I work out during lunch at work or after kids are in bed.
  • Options
    i pay a stupid amount of money for a membership to a gym with childcare.

<-actual single parent who probably should cancel that membership

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Options
    If you don't have a jogging stroller, I'd look into a treadmill or other at-home workout routines you can do after LO's bedtime. When DH travels, I rely on that.

• Options
    I'm a single parent.

I do workout videos in my living room. I've got some Yoga, some T25 (and I'm getting the new PiYo workout next week). I've also got some varying sized handweights.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"