February 2014 Moms
Options

WWF14 do? Family Edition

SiL and BiL are alcoholics and chronic drug abusers. They recently started doing heroin. Both of them have been to rehab multiple times and obviously are not ready to get clean. My heart breaks for their kids who are 15 &18. Two years ago we had the girls come stay with us. They usually had no food or competent adults at home.Seriously, no child should have to come home from school and check to see if mom is still breathing. I had to drive them to and from school every day since they live in a different school district. It was difficult on DH and I to suddenly have two teenage girls living with us in our tiny house but we did our best to make it work. After a few months the girls went to live with MiL/FiL because they had more space for the girls and time to drive them back and forth to school. The girls didn't like living there so they decided to go home. Things are getting worse with BiL/SiL and the older niece is living with her boyfriend but the 15 year old is stuck. I told DH that I want to become her guardian and enroll her in our school system. MiL/FiL said they cannot take her because they are in the process of moving and other "stuff". I just can't sit and watch this poor girl be in an unsafe environment at home. She deserves a safe home life and some positive role models. DH thinks taking her in will be too much on me but my heart hurts for her. We moved into a bigger house and now have a room she can move in to. I know we have a very mixed bag of ladies on F14. So I ask the question... WWF14 do?

Re: WWF14 do? Family Edition

• Options
    Meghan14Meghan14 member
    edited June 2014
    If your MIL & FIL support the idea, I would try to seek guardianship. This is not an OK situation for any child to be in and if your BIL &SIL will not get help, you need to get your niece away from it.  This will likely cause a lot of family issues (which is why I would talk to your MIL &FIL first).  It will be a hard adjustment all around, but likely for the best.  

Maybe this will also be the wake-up BIL & SIL need to get clean. 

15 is the age of the students I taught for the last 7 years.  They may seem able to take care of themselves, but they really need a stable and loving home.  Please feel free to PM me if you need anything.   

ETA: sorry, should have said this first, but "fix the problem" brain took over.  I am so sorry you and the girls are dealing with this. It is not fair that anyone- you or the children- have to face this.  Hugs, thoughts, and prayers for your family.

F'14 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Would your SIL and BIL put up a fight for guardianship?  I couldn't stand by and watch it going on either.  What I've learned from the black sheep in my family is that once you get guardianship, don't ever give it back to them, even if they get clean.  It will be expensive to keep having to fight to get her if they go off the rails again. 

• Options

I took in my baby sister when she first graduated HS and it was the best thing I ever did. I think the impact you'll make for this girl will be huge. But, make sure you listen to your DH concerns. Having my sis with us was really hard on our marriage even though my H was very supportive.

Kudos to you!

I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Options
    I also agree with PPs. If you can make it work and DH is on board with it I'd do it. good luck making this decision! I think it is wonderful that you are trying to help her.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Take her in, for sure. No child should have to witness the thing she's seen, and the sooner you can get her out of that toxic environment, the better.

Question - is she open to this plan? Would she want to come live with you guys? 

• Options
    TessyMessyTessyMessy member
    edited June 2014

Thanks for your input ladies.. First off, I will call her "B", is definitely not a threat to my kids. BiL/SiL do not know where our new house is and I intend to keep it that way to protect everyone. If they want to visit with B they can do so at MiL's house. B spends a lot of time at our house now... usually weekends and I have her stay over nights when I work from home the next day so I can get her to school.  I know she would be comfortable living with us and she prefers the order and rules DH and I set down for her at our house. I am going to talk to DH about this tonight, then B, and call our lawyer.

TBH I don't deserve all the kind words you guys have offered because I feel guilty that I let her go back to that shit hole in the first place. I had two miscarraiges when the girls were living with us last time which DH attributed to the stress of the situation. I don't know if I agree with him but I also did not have them living with us when I was pregnant with LO. I feel terrible even typing this out but all I can do is try to do right by her now and going forward.

@flyingtoast Thank you for sharing your story! I will probably PM you during this process.

• Options
    @TessyMessy‌ It sounds like B is already moving it, just not 'officially.' That is also a great thing to back you up when everything becomes legal.

Don't beat yourself up about 'letting her go back.' You were going through a lot and the girls went to live with their grandparents. You thought the best of them and had hoped that BIL/sil would clean up their game. The problem with accidents is they only clean up when THEY are ready, and not being enabled to hold off on the hard parts.

It was easier for us to get custody because it was physical abuse (see the damage with your eyes, pictures). It's harder when it's emotional abuse, because for many it's less concrete or physical. You seem like you have the 'ducks' in a row
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You do deserve the praise.  You are doing an amazing thing!

@FlyingToast had some great advice and I think getting advice from a lawyer is a good idea.  

F'14 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"