Baby Names

husband suggests a possible last minute change of girl name to

Lindy.  What are your thoughts?  I am letting it swirl in my head for a few days.  We have three weeks to go. 

It was going to be Genevieve.

I really named our first daughter.  He just went along with it.  This is the first time he has really showed any part in the naming process.  We are team green FYI and are all set in the boy category and have been for months.
IVF #1 & 2 BFN
New RE
IVF #3 Chemical Pregnancy
FET #1 BFP-first beta 2113  healthy baby girl born 12/22/11
FET #2 BFN
FET #3 BFP first beta 1157
Baby boy 7/7/14
natural pregnancy - miscarriage at 7 weeks
natural pregnancy #2 trisomy 13 and DNC at  14 weeks

Re: husband suggests a possible last minute change of girl name to

• M3L333M3L333 member
    I have a cousin named Lindy...that is the only person I know with the name. I personally like it. But you have to like it. I like names that are a little different.
  • I like it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I prefer Genevieve.  Lindy is okay.  
  • I really prefer Genevieve. Would he like Lynn, Lindsay or Mindy? One of my DH's favorite girl names is Linley, it is hard because he also doesn't have as much interest in names as me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• The two names are miles apart.  I have a DD named Genevieve.  I would never consider using Lindy.  Is he a aviation buff or something?  I think of the dance which I believe was named after Charles Lindbergh...the aviator.

I also have a DH that rarely suggests a name, so I understand wanting to seriously consider anything they come up with.  I'd just pass on this one, personally.

• I'm not a fan of Genevieve at all.
    Lindy seems more nickname-y to me.

We had a similar naming experience I mainly named DD1 and DH just agreed and went along with it. I ate it up then but after I felt a little bad.

With DD2 I really wanted DH to take the lead and make the final decision. We narrowed it down to two names mainly his favorite then another I liked more but he still liked and then he chose.

I would take this opportunity of DH opening up and put Lindy on the list for him. Then suggest similar names to Lindy and even ask him what he imagines the name should be. My DH is really about meaning, so maybe try to find out what he likes in a name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Aww-- my best friend just named her DD Genevieve, so I am really partial to that name. 

Lindy is OK, but if I heard someone with this name I would assume it was a NN.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• This is hard for me because I personally would never use Genevieve. And I like Lindy because of a positive personal association. However I recognize that Genevieve is a full name whereas Lindy is not IMO. What about Lindsey NN Lindy?

I agree with PPs that you should try to find out what he likes about Lindy and try to find some common ground there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickersCafeMom Tickers

• I couldn't think of many formal name suggestions for Lindy besides Lindsey but here are the few I could come up with.

Belinda
    Melinda
    Rosalind

Fwiw though I prefer Genevieve, Lindy is nice too and I understand wanting to incorporate your husband's input when it is so rare. Good luck!
  • I think Lindy is a cute nickname for Belinda. I prefer Genevieve, though.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • nmrdnmrd member
    I like the idea of having Lindy as a nickname. That way when she goes to order a coffee or wait for a table or fill out a resume she can give her name as Belinda, or one of the other suggestions. But she still gets an unusual name.
  • edited June 2014
    I should dislike Lindy, but I don't. I think of the dance, and it just seems fun and sassy to me. It is a bit nicknamey though...Melinda nn Lindy? Linnea nn Lindy?

I know it makes me a bit of an outcast on this board but I cannot stand Genevieve with the American Jenna-veeve pronunciation.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Genevieve is a million times better than Lindy.
    Agreed.  
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    Have to say not a fan of Lindy, all I think of is the Lindy Hop (the dance) I very much prefer Genevieve. It's nice that your husbands showing interest though, maybe he could think of a couple more he likes and see where that goes
  • I like Genevieve more, but Lindy isn't awful. I do think it makes a better nickname than full name though.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I like Lindy way better then Genevieve. Genevieve to me seems like a mouth full.
  • I much prefer Genevieve.
  • I don't like Lindy at all.
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Anniversary
  • Genevieve, no contest. Lindy looks and sounds incomplete.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I like Genevieve better but Lindy isn't awful. Do you have a set middle name already? Genevieve Lindy might work!
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Like the dance? No.

Linda still feels dated to me, but it is better than just Lindy. In Spanish linda means pretty or beautiful, so maybe search for names with a similar meaning? 

Genevieve is very pretty.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Genevieve times a million. So lovely. Lindy is yuck, IMO.
  • I'm not a fan of Lindy.  I just think of the dance, and it doesn't seem like a name that would grow well.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • It's a little too cutesy/nickname-y for my taste.  I really like the above suggestion of Rosalind nn Lindy though. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Definitely Genevieve. I'd do Lindy as a MN.
  • Linda, maybe, but not Liindy.  Lindsay is another close option, not that I'd advocate it.

I prefer Genevieve.
    DS born 12/2012
    Little Squeaker due 6/2015
  • I prefer Genevieve.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"