September 2012 Moms

Local Honey for allergies?

Does anyone give their LO local honey for allergies? How do you give it to them? Any tips, or recipes greatly appreciated!

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Local Honey for allergies?

• I always hear people doing this, but I have never tried it.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Colby's allergies are really bad, I figured I would give this a try before resorting to an allergy medicine. It just tastes awful so I'm not sure how to give it to him. I tried pouring it over some plain Cheerios but it never hardened so now it's just a sticky mess

• Loading the player...
  • I haven't given it to the kids, but I eat it sporadically. I haven't noticed a big difference allergy-wise, but maybe I need to eat it every day. I mix it into a smoothie or yogurt with fruit or spread it on toast.

• Your honey tastes bad? Not sweet?

How about some roll-ups. Tortilla, a bit of PB, honey, and a banana.

Plain yogurt with it mixed in

Smoothies

Drizzled over fruit

Most of these will be sticky and messy. That is the life of honey - ha

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Raw honey is bitter haha. my husband did it last spring and said it worked best when he did it every day.

• We eat local honey - both creamed and raw. I've never noticed it to be bitter. We eat it by the spoonful, spread it on English muffins, or mix it in plain yogurt.

I might look into getting your honey somewhere else... :)
  • I have done that for years with no effect. So...I won't.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DH swears it helps him and I'd rather support our (hilarious and very passionate about bees) local beekeeper than buy from Target or wherever.  I wouldn't be opposed to it.  DD already gets honey in a lot of recipes and smoothies and stuff.

FWIW none of our beekeeper's honey is bitter.  He carries several varieties from different fields in the area (apple blossom, clover, "random").
  • I do a spoonful for sore throats never thought of it for allergies but I'll have to try next year (I get the WORST April/May allergies). Our local keepers have several varieties and I've found I like the berry "flavors" the best. To me it just tastes like plain ole honey but the nectar from blackberry flowers is sweeter than say cottonwood blossoms or what have you. You might try a different kind, most farmers markets will let you sample the honey before you buy because there can be such a variance in flavors.
    And might I add, if you're a dork, it really is interesting hearing about the differences and how they maintain the colonies and stuff like that.
  • Before we moved to the PNW I had really bad allergies and my allergist told me to eat a spoonful of local honey every day, it seemed to help quite a bit. Since yours is not sweet maybe try putting it in a smoothie or on something he like to eat already.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"