Stay at Home Moms

Tell me your laundry secrets

We have a couple laundry issues going on. One issue is stains, especially in DD2's shirts as she's a pro bib taker-offer. How do you get rid of stains? I just pulled out one of my favorite onesies for her and it's stained with watermelon. (That stains?!) I generally use Arm & hammer soap and oxy clean spray if I notice a stain going in. What do you do for stains?
Second issue is overall fading, which I am not sure if it's a reflection of the quality of clothes I buy, temp of the dryer, my soap, etc, but I would love to keep our clothes looking newer longer! Any tips?

DD1: Maya 05/10
DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13

Re: Tell me your laundry secrets

• pevilapevila member
    I use liquid detergent and apply it directly to stains. I use something similar to oxy clean, too. But some things do stain and there's nothing I can do to remedy it. 
  • Fels Naptha Soap for stains - Under $1 a bar.  My MIL introduced it to me a few years ago.
  • Loading the player...
  • For tough stains, I soak in oxyclean 30min to an hour.   I also use Resolve dual power.  Some times, if a stain is really set in, I will let it sit in oxyclean over night.  Things do fade a little if I do the over night thing, but at least the stain is gone.  I dry everything on low heat.

~Mama to two daughters and baby #3 coming soon~
  • I keep a bottle of tide in the laundry room for DD's stained clothes. I'll apply it directly to stains and let it pre-treat for at least an hour or two. Also, the sooner you treat a (potential) stain, the better it works.

Side note: Next to the bottle of Tide, I have a bottle of hair spray for when DH gets pen on his clothes. It works great for ball point pen, as long as you notice and treat it before its next wash. Miss it the first time around, though, and the stain sets and ruins the clothes. Booooo.
  • I use Stain stick by Shout on stains and it works pretty well.  When I get something new, I generally soak in in about 1/4 salt.  This is supposed to help set the color better.  I do think it helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use oxyclean stain stick . So far it works
  • I pretty never never buy anything white. I hate white and it hates me.

We also try and line dry everything and I think that helps things last longer.

And rather than bibs, I have a handful of shirts I make the kids wear when we're having messy stain inducing meals (spaghetti, pizza, guacamole, etc.). We call them "pasta shirts" and I store them in the drawer with the kitchen towels.

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Adding some baking soda takes out stains. As for fading I think that's the quality if clothes you buy. I've noticed the cheaper brands or brands from other countries fade a lot.
  • @DC2London
    No. My kids have eaten things naked if I want their cute CD to stay clean! (In which case, I throw a rag under them in the high chair, just in case.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My kid won't let me push long sleeves up and it is too cold to eat naked most of the year so, my first step is sleeved bibs. We use Bumkins or the ikea ones, worth every penny. For stains I use Dr. bronners liquid soap and an old toothbrush. I've yet to find a stain it can't get rid of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I spray with the Oxi Clean spray and that stuff works miracles for me. TAkes out strawberry, spaghetti sauce, chocolate, whatever, with no further effort beyond spraying and letting it sit a bit before washing.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    edited June 2014

My laundry room is "Stain removal central" ...  Here is what you need to remove just about any stain that you aren't already using (Arm & Hammer w/ Oxy clean)...

1) Biz

2) Borax

3) Stain removal spray (My two fav's have become "Dirty Jobs" spray - yes, has Mike Rowe's mug on it - found it at Walmart - the stuff is PHENOMENAL!...  and "Goof Off Spray")...

4) Acetone (pure)

5) Hairspray

6) Clear vinegar

7) Ammonia

8) Dish soap

9) Rubbing Alcohol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Biz works so well. I had a white shirt with a mustard stain that dd loved. It had already been washed and dried. I left it in the sink to soak with biz then washed like normal. Totally gone!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"