January 2013 Moms
Options

Any interracial families on our board?

I'm white and my husband is Indian. We were both born and raised in the Midwest.

DD has my coloring, and when people see the three of us together, there is some staring. We just ignore it, but I've had a ton of people ask me 'what' DD is. I mean, she's a toddler, which is what I say, but I think we all know what they are really asking.

Just wondering if any of you are in the same boat?
Our little Samosa arrives in January!

Re: Any interracial families on our board?

• Options
    I'm as white as they come (English and welsh backgrounds) and my husband is a quarter Chinese, three quarters white. He becomes very dark and almost looks Spanish when he tans and our son is as pale as a ghost we red hair, oh and we have a VERY Chinese last name. Not tonnes of stares but lots of question about our last name. It's confusing to people to see a very white red head with a very Chinese name. I laugh it off really.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We aren't interracial either but DH is Italian and I'm German/polish/Czech so we both have dark hair and get pretty tan. Taylor is the blondest blond (as we were when we were kids) so we always get looks and the question where his hair came from!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm white (very pale, dark hair, hazel eyes) and SO is mixed-black, white, Native American and Puerto Rican. Dark hair, hazel eyes, caramel skin. Our son is blonde and his hair is straight and he's a little darker than me. And had blue eyes. So I'm pretty sure most people don't think he's his. No one asks what he is because he looks white. But he might start looking more like his dad. Either way he's going to have to explain what he is or who his dad is one day :/

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 
  • Options
    DCKateDCKate member
    It's mainly from older people. We had a woman at mass ask, in her nice old lady Midwestern way, 'what,' DD was. Then she looked at my husband. He told her his parents are from India, and she went around introducing him to people as 'Steven from India.' At least she was nice!
  • Options
    DCKateDCKate member
    Thanks @MichieU79‌ ! I totally agree:). Loved all of your little guy's pics on IG today!
  • Options
    not interracial really, but dh's family is spanish(dad)/uruguayan(mom- go uruguay!)...and he is very fair skinned compared to the rest of his family...when i met him i thought he was italian...and dd seemed to have gotten both of our fair skin...but she has blue eyes...we don't have blue eyes

dh's cousin- both parents are from spain and have nice tanish/olive skin- is pale, blonde haired and blue eyed....you would never think she was of spanish decent....and her sister has the same coloring as their parents

genetics is weird

• Options
    DCKateDCKate member
    That is amazing. People are just so funny!

Reading everyone's responses made me think of a client of mine who asked me what color my baby would be while I was pregnant. It was great :)

• Options
    I still don't understand why any of it is anyone's business. Don't we live in 2014?? 

To go a bit further, I know several families who have adopted children from other countries and they discuss this situation a lot. It's really sad because they were unable to have children of their own so they adopted their child/children from orphanages in third world countries and they are being judged or questioned. What's to question, the child/parents are happy and healthy. People just need to shut their mouths.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant. I just am always shocked how strangers act in certain situations. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    DCKateDCKate member
    @jobiann‌ you are so right. My daughter has my exact coloring, and my husband is a lot darker. He gets a lot of stares when he's alone with her. And I do have friends who are married to someone white (they are black, Hispanic, etc) and people assume they are nannies. So offensive on so many levels....
  • Options
    Not technically interracial but DH is Irish and German and I am German, English and Native American. I have dark hair, eyes, and some other features. DD is blond/red with blue eyes and pale pale skin. She looks nothing like me. People have thought I was the nanny before. People often ask where I am from especially when meeting my father (the Native American).
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"