Toddlers: 24 Months+

Transition from a Lovie

Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to transition a child from a Lovie... My son had a blanket that he dragged everywhere till he was 1yr then I found this great Lovie that was less cumbersome than the blanket and he has brought it everywhere since. <br>He is now 3yrs old and I think he lost his lovie. I dont think I should be replacing it at this point (he'll be 4yrs old in two weeks) but dont know if NOT having it would cause more isssues than it would solve.  <br>

<br> Also, since he hasnt been able to find his Lovie he has reverted back to the blanket, which is the main reason I am thinking maybe replacing it is NOT such a bad idea but really at what point is this not really ok to be carting around a blanket or a Lovie?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Baby #1 7/16/10
Baby #2 11/14/12 
Baby #3 12/11/14
Baby #4  3/30/17
Baby #5 2/28/19 
Baby #6 Miscarriage
Baby #7 7/3/22
Naturally with PCOS

Re: Transition from a Lovie

• I don't know that I would replace it but I would certainly let him have the blanket.  Our kids have blankets that are their loveys and they are only allowed to have them in bed (or the car for long trips).  Even my 6 year old still sleeps with the same blanket he did when he was 2.  I'm not concerned and not planning to take it away from him.  

My advice would be to encourage him to leave it in the bed instead of carting it around.  That way, it can't get lost or dirty but he can still have his comfort item when he sleeps.  
  • I have tried the only in the house... But they dont just use it for sleep, it's how both my kids manage their emotions, through the tactile sensation of rubbing it on thier faces. It stops tears, makes car rides enjoyable, helps if mad from school or from me picking them up from Nana's, lol. So I have a hard time enforcing not bringing it out the house, cuz I never know when they might need it lol. They have a second one at Nana's and at school in their cubbies so I have tried to limite the places they take them to some degree. But its the inbetweens that worry me (mainly with my son my daughter doesnt take hers out a lot). I love that they are able to work through whatever is bothering them with the lovies but now I worry, is that a dependancy, can they manage without? (My daughter is 1 though and hasnt lost her's so not SO much of a worry at the moment). I think you are right maybe replacing it isnt the best idea but letting him work with the blanket at this point and maybe I can point out it cant leave the house b/c its to big might work now that he is older.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• Loading the player...
  • I would be fine with the bed and the car.  In the house, instead of letting them have it out and around, if they're upset or angry, tell them that they may go in their room and calm down with their blanket but then, once they're calm, blanket goes back in the bed.  Sometimes we all need a time out to calm down and collect ourselves and that would still allow them to use their comfort item.  I bet they grow out of it in time...my 6 year old only likes it to cuddle with when he sleeps now and it was just a natural progression out of needing it when he was upset or scared, etc.  
  • I agree with @JENandJEH that it's easier to stick with it. My DD is 5 and is still just as attached, probably more so, to her blankie than she was a 1. If she is tired or upset, that is what she wants. We have worked with her since about the time she was 3 to not bring it everywhere. She is allowed to have it at home, car, and daycare (because she still naps), but we don't bring it into stores or the library or whatever. She is just fine with that.

I don't think it's ever really necessary to take a security object away (other than the paci). I actually did take my teddy bear to college with me, and I remember all of my roommates along those years having some sort of special item too. It's not uncommon or weird, it just is what makes us feel safe.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"