March 2013 Moms

Biting

Hey ladies, I mainly lurk but I was hoping you could help me!

My DD will be 16 mths on the 5th. She has horrible biting habit. She mainly bites me but will occasionally bite my husband. She bit my leg so hard today she immediately drew blood and left a huge bruise.

I don't know what to do. I have tried ignoring it (which is hard because it hurts!). I have set her down and walked away. I put her in "timeout" by herself. I firmly tell her we don't bite we give kisses. I also tried vinegar in her mouth which didn't phase her either.

Sorry for the long post but do you ladies have any suggestions? I am at my wits end! Thanks!!

Re: Biting

• My DS got all 4 molars at once which is when the biting started. It was very hard to deal with but we tried to prevent the bites if possible but giving him wash cloths with ice cubes in them, letting him have things to chomp. If we saw a bite coming we would sub in a stuffed animal instead.
  • My DS also bites when he is teething. When she bites, is she frustrated by something or does she think it's funny or a game? Is it a sign that she's hungry? I read that it can also be a sign of affection, you could try teaching her to hug and kiss instead.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the advice! I wish it was due to teething, but she has had all her teeth except 2 yr molars for awhile now. She does seem to do it more when shes frustrated but yesterday she was just doing it out of the blue. I will definitely try to have her bite a toy instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"