October 2012 Moms
Options

Quitting your job on or after leave?

Hey ladies! I'm going to be actively searching for another job starting pretty soon, but I am unsure of the etiquette regarding quitting your job while on leave. How is it possible to do this and give the standard two-week notice? Granted, it's unlikely I'll find a job that soon, but just wondering what you think about quitting on leave or very soon upon returning to work. The job I have now is shitty, but it's my only post-college job so I really can't afford to lose the potential good professional reference.

Also, please send me some good vibes, because I am not terribly optimistic about finding a better-paying job in my teensy town...and I had a mini panic attack when I realized I'd be paying for TWO young kids in daycare starting in just a couple months. Ugh.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Quitting your job on or after leave?

• Options
    Good luck with the job hunt! Fingers crossed and I hope you are able to find something that you enjoy doing. 

I have no experience with quitting while on leave or shortly after but if you are unhappy and find something even better I think you should do it. Do you have a HR dept that you can call and talk with about your options?

• Options
    I spoke with my boss about a month before my maternity leave was over and let her know I wouldn't be returning. I made it official with HR once my leave was over so that I received all my paychecks from the state.
    image                 image
    Lilypie - (52Ft)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found a job on maternity leave and gave my two week notice my first day back. It felt so effing good as I had hated that job for YEARS. lol. :)

It probably doesn't matter when you quit unless you are collecting benefits, as I was (STD to be clear, not paid maternity leave). Just keep it business like and you'll be fine. 

Good luck to you.
    DD 9/15/12
  • Options
    @StefanieM522‌, no real HR dept to speak of. Our standing HR guy is my supervisor, so I wouldn't want to tip my hand.

@mbm1983‌, I've been there for seven years. My relationship with my boss is probably fine if you ask him, but I am not a fan of his. And recently we have had a few spats at work, but overall we are fine. He would most likely give me a good reference professionally but might tell someone in a less formal setting that I've got a strong personality (and he wouldn't mean that as a compliment — he's really religious and sexist...he definitely thinks women have a certain place in life). I would just want to make sure I did what was necessary to ensure I was re-hireable.

• Options
    CnAnACnAnA member
    I worked for a large credit union, and my boss was fantastic. When she called me about a month before I was due to come back to work to find out my exact return date, I told her I wasn't returning. She helped me work with HR and they let me keep all my benefits until the day I was supposed to come back.

If you think your company will screw you over, I would give your notice the day you come back to work just to be safe.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    I guess your collective experience with this is telling me that if I needed to quit amd start a new job before my return date, I would not need to actually come in and *work* at my current job for two weeks. My concern is that they might want me to train a replacement (which would mean I'd need to physically come into work), but now that I think about it, there's no way they could get someone in to train by the time my two weeks would be up. But it seems this kind of thing isn't altogether unusual, so it sounds like I'll be fine! Thanks for the input, everyone!

• Options
    it's pretty common to do that IMHO

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"