Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Pertussis and new baby

Anyone else hearing all these things about pertussis lately? I have not been vaccinated ( 20 weeks pregnant) but my husband has. Is it wrong for me to ask grandparents and people who will be around the baby a lot to get vaccinated? I feel like it may come across as controlling but my job is to protect my baby

Re: Pertussis and new baby

• Peanutz21Peanutz21 member
    edited June 2014
    the "official" recommendation is those that will be spending a lot of time around LO should be vaccinated.  DH did at his PCP office months before and i got my vaccine during my hospitalization when LO was born.

i asked my parents - they said no.......

DH asked his parents who are a totally different breed: they looked around for it at their doc's office and nearby CVS but was told they didn't have them in stock.  sounds like an ODD story to me... 

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • (lurking) I asked people to get vaxed with our last baby. DH and I were vaccinated, other kids are on schedule, nanny and grandparents were happy to get the shots.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If they are going to be primary caregivers, then I think it's okay to insist. If it's just visitors, I wouldn't be terribly worried. My parents visited for two weeks...I didn't even ask about their vaccination status.
    imageDSC_9275  image

• jenn43jenn43 member
    We asked our parents to get vaccinated, and they were all happy to do it. I take LO to work, and I asked my stff to get vaccinated as well, which they were all fine with. LO's cousins did not receive their MMR, so bases on our pediatrician's recommendation, they will not be around LO until he gets his first MMR
  • fsumomfsumom member
    edited June 2014
    It's recommended pregnant women get vaccinated in the 3rd trimester. I got vaccinated. DH already had the vaccination recently and DD has also had the vaccine. I mentioned it to my parents and they offered to get vaccinated. We didn't mention it to DH's parents as they won't be around DS as much. They probably would have made an excuse to not get the vaccine anyways.
    ~Jessica~ 

• Peanutz21 said:
    the "official" recommendation is those that will be spending a lot of time around LO should be vaccinated.  DH did at his PCP office months before and i got my vaccine during my hospitalization when LO was born.

i asked my parents - they said no.......

DH asked his parents who are a totally different breed: they looked around for it at their doc's office and nearby CVS but was told they didn't have them in stock. sounds like an ODD story to me... 
    The local Health Department should have it and can bill their insurance. But yeah it sounds odd to me too. If those places were out (which can happen) they would most likely have to directed them to other resources……or at least I hope they would.  
  • I told my hubby and the grandparents it wasn't optional if they wanted to hold her before her first vaccinations. I also sent them the link to the cdc recommendations site so they didn't think I was a quack!
    BabyName Tickerimage
  • I don't allow anyone spend a lot of time around my LO with the vaccination. I have been informed there are some serious consequences if they get it.
  • Thanks for all the replies! This makes me feel better about asking people to get it - I've done lots of reading and have heard how differently it affects baby and how serious and potentially deadly it can be to them and I ( like all moms i'm sure) want to do everything I can to protect my baby.
  • I asked both sets of grandparents.. they were happy to do it. Husband of course got it as well. If those that are will be holding her and spending a lot of time with her refuse.. then don't think you can snuggle my LO. 
  • It was not mentioned to me during pregnancy that I needed the shot, and somehow I stayed oblivious to it. (My own fault) but my pediatrician pushed the importance of pregnant women getting it. She said it basically protects LO until they have all three rounds at six months. I wish I had known that so I wouldn't feel as if my baby is so exposed.
  • @Peanutz21‌ , I really had to search a lot to get it for my DH. His doc didn't have it, and our pharmacy didn't have them yet. We ended up at urgent care for another issue, but they had it, so he got it then. My region seemed to have a shortage, at least, which is pretty common when demand rises due to outbreaks.

• Am I missing something here?  People are selfish beasts.  They realize that the shot BENEFITS them right?  Like it means THEY don't get tetanus, pertussis and diphtheria as well? 

• Am I missing something here?  People are selfish beasts.  They realize that the shot BENEFITS them right?  Like it means THEY don't get tetanus, pertussis and diphtheria as well? 
    totally agree. not sure where you live but I am in north/central NJ and also work in the healthcare field.  there are a growing number of outbreaks in this region - most recently measles is on the rise because people have opted to not get vaccinated.  some skip vaccinations because of fear of autism (thanks jenny mccarthy) or whatever reason.   

@nikkipal82 and @mysticl perhaps i will be more forgiving of my in-laws

TTC#2
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"