Working Moms
Options

Nwmr and tmi-IUDs

So I'm just doubling up and letting it all hang out! Not board related and this really is TMI. I'm getting an IUD later this week. Starting to get nervous. Anyone have any tips for me? It's the Mirena, if that matters. It seems hilarious that I had 2babies naturally but I'm scared an IUD insertion will hurt.

Re: Nwmr and tmi-IUDs

• Options
    Thanks, guys! The one person I know who's gotten one is the "pass out at a blood draw" type (literally, passes out if she looks when they're drawing her blood or if they don't warn her before the stick), and she made it sound like one step shy of torture.
  • Options
    loufusloufus member
    FYI - I was told that it is less painful to have the IUD inserted if your cervix has ever been dilated.  Being that you've had two babies, it shouldn't be too bad for you.  I had one after my VBAC and it was unpleasant for a brief moment.  I did not have any pain afterwards.  Prior to the procedure, I did take two advil in preparation.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had one before baby and it was moderately painful. I got another (paragard) after and it wasn't bad at all
  • Options
    I got my first Mirena after I had my first baby- insertion was a breeze, loved having it.  Got another about 2 months ago after this LO and I fainted during insertion.  However, it turns out my tear wasn't totally healed up and the thing they use to hold you open (my mind is drawing a blank) pinched my tear and it was excruciating ;)  Otherwise it would have been totally fine and I'm still loving having it!
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I thought getting my Mirena inserted was less painful than cervical checks during labor. I had some mild cramping and spotting for a couple of days afterward.

I love my Mirena. Unfortunately, I am one of the unlucky percentage that continues to get a period, but it's not a big deal. Overall, I am very happy with it.
  • Options
    I got my Mirena (after having 3 babies) about 6-7 months ago.  It felt like a period cramp during insertion, but it was really NBD.  My cycle was super weird for awhile, like I would have one day of bleeding, then it would stop for a few days, then come back for several days.  This last cycle I had one day of needing to use a tampon and that was it, so maybe my body is finally adjusting.

It really is super convenient in that you don't have to think about it at all.  This may be TMI, but my husband does say he can feel it in certain positions.  It hasn't hindered us or anything, just something to get used to.  I might make an appointment to make sure the positioning isn't off or anything.

All that to say, I think you will really like it!
  • Options
    loufusloufus member
    @virgo17 - my husband said he could feel it at times, too.  My doctor was able to trim the strings shorter and that did the trick.  It was no big deal and took about 2 minutes.
  • Options
    loufus said:
    @virgo17 - my husband said he could feel it at times, too.  My doctor was able to trim the strings shorter and that did the trick.  It was no big deal and took about 2 minutes.
    Okay!  I'll have to make an appointment and see if that's the issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"