Adoption

We had our first DCF home visit yesterday! (nd go figure this happens in the middle of it...)

The DCF worker came to our house yesterday to tour the house and conduct the initial interview, which ended up being really high level. She basically just asked us about our finances, if we own or rent our home, how long we've been married, etc. Nothing too deep. She told us our background checks came up with absolutely nothing, not even a traffic violation and I said, "You seem surprised by that." She told us it's extremely rare that absolutely nothing comes up on either applicant's background check and that the bulk of her interviews are usually spent asking questions about results. Needless to say, the interview was really short! 

Anyway, we're in the middle (or the end, as we found out afterwards) of the interview and I happen to notice, out of the corner of my eye, a black dog running in my yard. I leaped out of my chair while exclaiming, "Oh my god, is that my dog?! Oh my god, my dogs are loose! I'm so sorry, excuse me!" and went running out of the house, soon followed by my two kids... and then my husband! So, he just left her in our house all alone!

Luckily, my dog Lucy is a homebody and she was in the garage when I got outside and ran into the backyard as soon as she saw me, but our dog Maddy was nowhere to be seen. I called her name a few times and she came happily bounding out of our neighbor's backyard and came right home. I was relieved that she came home so quickly, but I was so embarrassed. I went running back into the house, apologizing profusely to the woman and she assured me that it was okay and that she'd finished asking all the questions she needed to ask us. Then she complimented how good my dogs are and that her dog would not have come back so quickly. LOL

Aside from the doggy drama, it went well, and now we wait to be invited to attend the next class when it starts up, which she said would be August or September. It's nice to feel like the process is finally starting, even though I know it's going to be a while before we're actually licensed.
Happily married Mom to 2 beautiful little girls, 2 dogs and 2 cats (all rescues), 2 fish and one 29 year-old firebelly newt.
~ Hoping to add to our family by adoption via Connecticut DCF. Application submitted on 2/4/14. First home visit on 6/23/14. Started class 11/17/14.~

Re: We had our first DCF home visit yesterday! (nd go figure this happens in the middle of it...)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"