Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

oh girl, oh girl....oh girl

Yes, I copied DavidStamps. Our girls are here. My wife went into monitoring last Wednesday and they didn't let her go home because of an issue they saw with one of the babies. On Sunday her water broke. They stopped contractions a couple times, but this morning they got to the point where the babies needed to come out. Wife is doing fine. Babies have jaundice and may need a blood exchange. They also have anemia. These issues should be taken care of while in the NICU. They probably have 3 weeks to go before we can bring them home. We were also told another kid would be risky because of my wife's blood. It became RH-sensitized during this pregnancy.

Re: oh girl, oh girl....oh girl

• Options
    Congrats!  Hopefully your daughters' stay in the NICU will be a quick and uneventful one.
  • Options
    Congrats on the good news, hope your daughters get out of NICU quickly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks guys. They're getting a blood transfusion right now to hopefully help with the anemia and jaundice. Wife is still recovering though. I feel bad for her.
  • Options
    Congrats! I hope your girls graduate from NICU quickly and without any problems.

Welcome to the NICU club.
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • Options
    Blood transfusion seems to have gone well. They're both doing really well. NICU has been great to everyone so far.
  • Options
    Congrats and best of luck to your little girls.

• Options
    Congrats!
    I'm glad everyone is doing well. It's a rough and crazy road, but the big picture is so awesome, hang in there! Were 60+ days in the NICU now, patience is definitely a virtue.
  • Options
    Congrats!
    I'm glad everyone is doing well. It's a rough and crazy road, but the big picture is so awesome, hang in there! Were 60+ days in the NICU now, patience is definitely a virtue.

Wow, when is their due date? Is there anything major holding them back or is it typical developmental stuff? We'll be at 4 weeks in the NICU tomorrow. Their due date is August 1st and I'm not even sure if they'll be out before then. My wife became RH-sensitized so they ended up with a bad case of jaundice and anemia. The jaundice was controlled during the first couple weeks, but the anemia is still hanging around. They keep getting blood transfusions  to buy them more time until their bodies take care of it naturally. It's a slow process. If it wasn't for this I think they would be home. One is 7 pounds and the other is 6 pounds and they're eating like tanks.
  • Options
    polooo27 said:
    Congrats!

Wow, when is their due date? Is there anything major holding them back or is it typical developmental stuff? We'll be at 4 weeks in the NICU tomorrow. Their due date is August 1st and I'm not even sure if they'll be out before then. My wife became RH-sensitized so they ended up with a bad case of jaundice and anemia. The jaundice was controlled during the first couple weeks, but the anemia is still hanging around. They keep getting blood transfusions  to buy them more time until their bodies take care of it naturally. It's a slow process. If it wasn't for this I think they would be home. One is 7 pounds and the other is 6 pounds and they're eating like tanks.
    That's awesome, their size alone is amazing. My boys were due on 8/18, scheduled c-section for late July (she delivered before we actually set the date) since my wife's OB didn't want to go past 37 weeks. Today is Week 36, the boys are 2 months old and weighing in at 3.8 and 4.4, but they came out 1.13 and 2.2, the pound or so in weight has been a huge change and improvement. They were considered mico-preemies due to their delivery date and weight, so the NICU was vital to their success. Right now they have to average 5 pounds, eat independently, hold their own body temp and past a sleep 24 hour test. There are a lot of steps, but I'm confident we will get there in time. My youngest will hit most of these marks in the next week or so, around the time when my wife would have had her c-section. Fingers crossed that happens and I know my older twin, who has had a slower recovery, is looking at a few more weeks. 
  • Options

Wow, they were born earlier than I thought. 27 Weeks if I did the math right. 1.13 is so tiny I can't even imagine. It must be encouraging to just see them come as far as they have and it sounds like they are almost ready to come home.

Ours had to pass those steps as well and they've actually been past them for about a week now which would have been week 37. Maybe week 37 will be a good week for you too. Ours would probably be home if it wasn't for the anemia and the spells (holding their breath). The doctors think the spells are related to the anemia. Once the anemia gets taken care of I think the spells will go away and we'll be talking about them coming home.

• Options
    Quick update - Both girls are home now and doing well. Nights haven't been too bad. Since they were in the NICU for a month they came home on a 4-hour eating schedule. I just get up twice in the middle of the night and it takes about an hour to feed and change both of them each time. When they get a little bigger it might get tougher, but right now they just hang out. Crying hasn't really started in this house yet. Our son is doing really well with it too.
  • Options
    Congrats on getting your little girls home and it sounds like everyone is adjusting pretty well.
  • Options

Sorry I didn't mention in my other post.....CONGRATULATIONS!! 

I am quite jealous, we found out we are only having one....I know, I'm weird, but having twins would have been AWESOME!!  :)

• Options

Nothing weird about that. I always thought it would be kind of cool to have twins too. You know, once you get past all the risks and the newborn stage. It's just a special thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"