3rd Trimester
Options

Melting Pot Safe While Pregnant?

A group of friends want to take me to the Melting Pot, but majority of the cheese fondues have alcohol based (beer or wine) broths and/or made with cheeses that are semi-soft. The entrees are also cooked in broth, but you run the risk of under cooking... Is it safe to indulge at a restaurant like this while pregnant.. I am very skeptical and want to be sure I am safe for my baby at 28 weeks. Thanks in advance!

Re: Melting Pot Safe While Pregnant?

• Options
    Any cheese served in a restaurant has to be pasteurized by law. Any time you cook with wine or beer, the alcohol cooks out. You will be fine.

image    image    

• Options
    They do have salads and a vegetarian option (I believe). Like PP's have said, the alcohol cooks out.
    If you are super worried, just eat the delicious desserts :D
    x
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • Options
    If you are still concerned about the cheese, you can request boullion to cook meats and vegetables, instead of oil.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I ate at the melting pot when i was about 10 weeks pregnant...it never once occurred to me that it would be unsafe...I've had numerous ultrasounds since (growth scans) and baby is fine.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    Damasked said:
    Melting Pot is a pregnant lady's paradise. Treat yo self!
    THIS! I have been twice. Would love to go just one more time before the baby gets here. You are definitely fine. Just make sure your meats are cooked if you are worried about it. If I was unsure I asked H and he told me I was good.

• Options
    Joy2611 said:
    mysticl said:
    Any cheese served in a restaurant has to be pasteurized by law. Any time you cook with wine or beer, the alcohol cooks out. You will be fine.
    This is not true. Some cooks off but not all of it.  

It's okay to drink a glass of wine while pregnant, so the amount of ethanol left in a dish being served to four people is really nothing to even remotely be worried about.
    But the statement that the alcohol cooks out is not true and people should be aware of that so that they can make their own decision.  Also, my OB says to avoid all alcohol including any medications that contain alcohol.  
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    Joy2611 said:
    mysticl said:
    This is not true. Some cooks off but not all of it.  

It's okay to drink a glass of wine while pregnant, so the amount of ethanol left in a dish being served to four people is really nothing to even remotely be worried about.
    But the statement that the alcohol cooks out is not true and people should be aware of that so that they can make their own decision.  Also, my OB says to avoid all alcohol including any medications that contain alcohol.  
    Holy overreaction by your OB. That's completely unnecessary. 
    Well it's in line with the recommendations of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists so it's exactly what they should be recommending.  And it makes sense.  I can't find anything that definitively says how much alcohol is safe.  So doctors just say "none" rather than risk a child being born with FAS because it turns out that amount they told mom wasn't safe, mom interpreted words like "few" or "occasional" differently than the doctor, or mom goes "one more can't be that bad" only it wasn't just one more once, it was one more every week or even every day.  
  • Options
    The chocolate peanut butter was amazing as well. Yum!

image              image
  • Options
    Well heck, now I have to go eat at The Melting Pot. When my husband asks why, I'm blaming you ladies. ;-)
  • Options
    noodles84 said:
    I was there a month ago. Mmmm. Now I want the desserts!

I was there for Mother's Day, maybe I can talk H into taking me one last time before the baby comes.

I want it all.

• Options
    We are having my shower at The Melting Pot just so I can have a pot of chocolate to myself.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Envy1328Envy1328 member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks again ladies!! Sorry to bring on the cravings LOL ;) this is my first trip to the melting pot and I am very excited!! I heard I can order the cheddar fondue and request broth base instead of beer/wine. I know of many people who have had occasional drinks during pregnancy, but my doctor advised she was not aware of any amount of Alcohol that as safe, therefore I have abstained from it throughout the pregnancy and will continue to do so... But to each their own! :) Thanks again and best of luck to all of you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"