Parenting after a Loss

Making baby's food?

So I am thinking about making my daughters food instead of purchasing it.  I will soon be a SAHM and hoping to have enough time and patience to accomplish this goal.  I was just wondering from mom's that are doing it:  How feasible is it?  What tools do you recommend (ie. food processor vs. baby bullet)? Any good recipes?  Insider secrets?  Is it worth it?  I appreciate any help on this.  TIA
BFP#1 02/19/12 missed mc 03/30/12 1st D&C 05/16/12 2nd D&C 08/17/12 
BFP #2 06/26/13 EDD 2/26/14 Hoping for my rainbow baby!
image Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

~~AL Always Welcome~~
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Making baby's food?

• I love making DDs food. We received a baby bullet for our shower so I use that. We are just starting out so I have no fun recipes yet. It is super easy and doesn't take much time or patience. I just boil or steam the fruit or vegetable and then process it in the baby bullet. DD has liked everything we have given so far. We started with sweet potatoes and then did bananas. I have also given her peas, pears and yellow squash. The squash did not freeze well and was thin when I unthawed it, but other than that no issues. I beleive it is worth it because of the cost. I bought one sweet potato for $1.06 and got 12 -2oz servings from it.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• It's so easy to do and doesn't require any special tools. I just use a blender, ice cube tray to freeze portions and use later, and we also use a grater to do individual portions for things like bananas, apples, pears, etc. I think it saves money too because you're not buying the baby food which is really pricey, nor do you get the preservatives.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • kklamb10 said:
    I know this isn't really what you asked but I'd recommended BLW. I had planned on making my own purees but after I did some research I fell in love with the idea of BLWing. It doesn't require any extra work we just make sure whatever we serve Z is cut so he can grab it and we don't salt until we pull off his portion. I love that I don't spend any extra time trying to figure out what to make for "baby food".
    I second this! We are having so much fun with it. Tonight for dinner it's whole wheat spaghetti with meat sauce and pear halves. He pretty much eats whatever we eat or if we're in a hurry I'll make him cheesy toast and fruit. Takes a little while to figure out what he can eat well and what he has trouble with but I like that he can eat with us and we don't have to 'feed' him so we can all eat at the same time.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• We used a good processor and ice cube trays. It was very easy. I also bought reusable/washable food pouches. I could pop 1 or 2 cubes into a pouch and it made travel with homemade food very easy. I even found a spoon that attaches to the pouch.

I never really followed recipes. I just steamed and puréed, using some of the water that the fruit/veggies were steamed in to thin them out if needed.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Thank you ladies. So happy I asked. I think I'll try a little of both. Great advice and feedback
    BFP#1 02/19/12 missed mc 03/30/12 1st D&C 05/16/12 2nd D&C 08/17/12 
    BFP #2 06/26/13 EDD 2/26/14 Hoping for my rainbow baby!
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

~~AL Always Welcome~~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had every intention of making my own baby food, but P would scream and cry every time I turned on the food processor.  I quickly gave up.  Just wanted to give you a heads up to watch out for that :)
  • This LO isn't old enough for this yet, but I used to nanny and I made all of their baby food. Their mom would buy fruits and veggies for the week and I could turn it into baby food during a nap. It's pretty easy and I thought it was fun! Pinterest has tons of recipe ideas! For this LO, I was gifted a Cuisinart blender that steams and blends! So you just stick in your veggies to steam and when it's done, you can purée it right there. One dish to wash! I haven't used it yet but the reviews online said it was amazing. We will see.... Lol.

Also good to freeze in ice cube trays like PPs have said. And the baby bullet sells baby food jars separately for easy refrigerator storing.

Stupid FTM question... What's BLW? I get the gist of it from the posts, but what does it stand for?

BFP #1: 3/23/13, EDD: 11/22/13, MC: 4/2/13
    Convinced it was a boy and missing him every day!
    BFP #2: 10/25/13, EDD: 7/3/14, Grow baby Grow! Anabelle Rose born 6/6/14 

image     image

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic August Siggy Challenge: If Babies Could Talk
  • We used a food processor with DD #1 and stored as ice cubes or in 4oz tupperwares. I found a lot of useful info at https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com. One good thing I took from this website is don't be afraid to use spices ( but I think it was after a certain age). I don't know if it had anything to do with it or not but she's a greateater now and will pretty much eat anything we put in front of her.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our 3 Precious Angels That Left Us Too Soon
    BFP #2-EDD 07/05/13 - Tater and Tot passed at 12w3d. D&C 1/17/13
    BFP #3-EDD 12/19/13 - Peanut passed at 9w1d. D&C 05/31/13

Diagnosed with Hypothyroid 05/20/13 

BFP #4 - 09/22/13 - DD#2 born 05/27/14

All Alers Welcome!

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"