Baby Names

Nicknames for Walter?

DH and I are having a boy (I am 30.5 weeks). We had a 3D ultrasound last night and got a really clear picture of his face. DH kept telling me how much he looked like me (there's no mistaking the nose for anything but mine lol) and everyone always told me that I looked like a female version of my grandfather.

I did some digging and found baby pictures of my grandfather (he's no longer with us). The 3D ultrasound and my grandpa's baby pictures are almost interchangeable. It's amazing how similar they look. I would like to honor my grandfather in some way with the baby's name. My grandfather was Walter Francis.

DH's side has a family tradition of the first born son's MN is the father's first name, which is David. DH thinks Walter sounds "like an old man name."

Any suggestions of nicknames for Walter that aren't Wally or Walt that I could present to DH?
Dave and Kathleen - 09.12.09:
Partially Complex (my blog)

Re: Nicknames for Walter?

• I'm not familiar with any other nn's for Walter aside from Wally and Walt, but what if you used two mns? To honor both your husband and grandfather.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yeah, Wally or Walt is it. (I love this name!) Would your DH maybe go for Francis, NN Frank?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, Wally or Walt is it. (I love this name!) Would your DH maybe go for Francis, NN Frank?

There's a Frank in the family already and we wouldn't want the confusion of him thinking he's named after him.

I've heard Wit or Wat for Walter as well (they are older, like 1940s nns). I don't like those though. Wasn't sure if there was something I was missing (Like how Mack is a nn for William).
    Dave and Kathleen - 09.12.09:
    Partially Complex (my blog)
  • I love both Walter and Francis.

I would not mention it for a while-- let it settle in and then bring it up again (naming your LO Walter).  Sometimes if I do this to my H he has a complete change of heart.  I have even had my H suggest a name to me that HE previoulsy vetoed.

IMO-- you can't get much cuter than a little chubby cheeked toddler named Walt.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• What a great reason to name your baby that. It's such a great story. Walter is a charming, classic name. Handsome but quirky for a young boy.

Wally and Walt are really the only nicknames that come to mind right off the bat.

Perhaps you could semi-name him after your grandfather by starting the name with the uncommon W. Wyatt, Weston, William, Wesley, etc. Personally I love Walter the most and would use Walt as a nickname.

Your husband can come up with a cute nickname all on his own that is unrelated to his name.
  • I also agree to just wait a week or so. Maybe toss the name around when talking to your belly - call him Walt. He will probably warm up.

With a name like Walter, your DH probably just doesn't know anyone with the name and can't imagine it on a baby. Give him a little time and you might be surprised.
  • I love both Walter and Francis.

I would not mention it for a while-- let it settle in and then bring it up again (naming your LO Walter).  Sometimes if I do this to my H he has a complete change of heart.  I have even had my H suggest a name to me that HE previoulsy vetoed.

IMO-- you can't get much cuter than a little chubby cheeked toddler named Walt.

All of this. Wait him out. Walt is sooo cute! 
    Maybe nn Wallace (I know a different name, but still connected)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • What did you go for? I have a 19-month-old baby Walter (Walt) - for similar family reasons but also because we love it - and we have had so many people compliment us on his name. There was another Walt at his nursery, too! Go for it!
  • I have only ever heard of Wally and Walt.
  • I'm with your husband on this one, sorry. I can't imagine calling a baby Walt.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I can understand this, because we have similar thoughts:) I LOVE Walter but personally don't like Walt or Wally at all, and I'm not naive enough to believe that LO wouldn't get one of these NNs. It's tough!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My late father's name is Walter and so is my brother... I am honoring my father by naming my baby Walter more than likely if it is a boy. I am very excited about a little boy rockin' this old fashion, yet strong name. Walt and Wally are perfectly acceptable nicknames. That being said, he may end up with something unique too. My dad was "Gumpy" rarely did anyone call him Walt or Wally!
  • I've known two Walters in my life and they went by Wallabie and Wigger Wigger Walter...I just had to share that lol. I would use Wally or Walt.
  • As a mother of a toddler Walter I will tell you it's an old man name that is adorable on a child. We sometimes call him Walty. We call him Bubba or Walter the most though. And he will be an adult much longer than a child. I say use it!!! But I'm biased.

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Justin + Laura 10.18.08
    TTC #1 09.10/Dx PCOS 12.10/BFP #1 12.29.10/EDD 9.10.11/Missed m/c 2.3.11/D&C 2.15.11
    “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”-Kahlil Gibran
    Cycle #1 4.2.11 + Clomid = BFN/Cycle #2 5.9.11 + Clomid + Trigger Shot = TWINS! 
    Walter Allen and Eleanor Joan 1.15.12
    Another baby on the way! 8.25.14

• PS so far no one calls him Wally because we've corrected anyone who tries. Yes when he gets older he may end up Wally...but really any kid could get a nickname I don't like in the future no matter what his name is.

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Justin + Laura 10.18.08
    TTC #1 09.10/Dx PCOS 12.10/BFP #1 12.29.10/EDD 9.10.11/Missed m/c 2.3.11/D&C 2.15.11
    “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”-Kahlil Gibran
    Cycle #1 4.2.11 + Clomid = BFN/Cycle #2 5.9.11 + Clomid + Trigger Shot = TWINS! 
    Walter Allen and Eleanor Joan 1.15.12
    Another baby on the way! 8.25.14

• LNic5LNic5 member
    Walter is definitely an older name but I think it's sweet to use it to honour your grandfather and it's not common these days so he'd be unique!! You could always make your own nickname since Wally and Walt are pretty much the only known nicknames...maybe something like Walton or Waltz (maybe too weird but thought I'd throw it out there anyway). Hopefully you and your hubby can figure something out
  • I only know of Walt or Wally. I love Walt! So does my DH, but I feel like it's a name people assume is a family name and it's not for either of us :(
    Hoping you get your DH on board!

• When I first read it, I thought, "Ugh, Walter, no!" But reading the comments and picturing a little baby or toddler named Walt...that's pretty freaking cute!

• Heisenberg! Flynn! (Any Breaking Bad fans?) ;)

BabyFruit Ticker

<p align="center"
  • This is an old post from November. I checked her blog, she named the baby Colin David.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Hahaha...oh well!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"