Pregnant after 35

Today I choose...

Hello ladies.  I have already introduced myself as a 38 year old mom of a 4 year old.  I will be 39 when this baby arrives. 

My first pregnancy was a breeze until the end when I developed pre-e at 33 weeks.  I was put on bed rest and delivered at 37 weeks.  C-section was textbook, but the day after my daughter started having complications and was in the NICU for 10 days.  Once they ruled out all of the horrifying reasons that she was turning blue and not breathing, it was determined that she had reflux and was not getting the suck-swallow-breathe pattern down right.  So, with the help of the nurses and a speech pathologist, we got her on the right medicines and in the right feeding positions, and she had to sleep inclined and on her side.  That freaked me out a bit, but it was doctor ordered.

After finding out this week that we are expecting, I have been a basket case.  I worry about my age and increased risks.  I worry about not being in the shape I wanted to be going in to a pregnancy and how that could affect things (this was not a planned pregnancy - but we are thrilled)  I worry about the cramping or lack there of symptoms.  I worry about losing this baby.  I worry about pre-e and bed rest again with a 4 year old.  I worry about defects and syndromes.  I worry that I don't see my doctor until the 9 week mark...Do you see the pattern here...WORRY!!!

I said to my husband that I was going to be a nervous wreck until I get the all ok from my doc (at the end of July)  And he said "Well, that is your chose.  I am not worried at all.  What is the point worrying?  What will it do?"

HE IS SO RIGHT!!!  What good will it do for me to worry myself to death on the what ifs?  Is it going to change anything?  Why worry until I need to worry?  I have wasted the last 4 days stuck in my head going through all of the possible scenarios.  So, today I choose not to worry.  There is nothing I can do to change the outcome...so I am going to live in today, love on my beautiful daughter, take care of myself, and enjoy my summer instead of worrying it away.

Re: Today I choose...

• CaraHCaraH member
    Good for you! 

We have been trying for a long time for this second pregnancy, and we suffered a loss on the way to it.  So, I've been having a hard time relaxing, too.  (I really think I will after I see the heartbeat.)  My mantra to myself is "today I'm pregnant."  I can't control next week, but today I'm pregnant.

Fingers crossed for both of us!
  • lcwedlcwed member
    That is such a positive outlook. My pregnancy was almost textbook to yours. I got pre-e at 34 weeks and delivered at 38. DD was in the NICU for 20 days due to breathing issues. I worry the same things as you, so I can relate to your feelings at the beginning of the pregnancy. I hope I can develop your outlook. I try to take things bit by bit. Right now I am trying to get to week 7, then 8, then u/s, and so on. Trying to keep busy and continuing to do most of the stuff I did before I got pregnant is helping.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Loading the player...
  • I needed to read this tonight! I have our first ultrasound tomorrow morning. Like so many of us, this second time was a long time coming with a few losses along the way.
    As my daughter would say "let it go, let it go!" And that's what I'm going to do. I can't do a damn thing about what we will see tomorrow. It is what it is.
    Thank you!
  • Good choice!  It is hard, alot can come up and it's someting of a mom tendency to worry a bit... but actively making the choice to not be overwhelmed, is a great start :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Awesome outlook!

To worry is going to happen. It's just a part of being human and a mother. But you can't let it alter your life.

I've been in a position like that. I lost my first pregnancy at 4.5 months. Followed that up with a miscarriage. My 3rd was with DD and I was insane with worry. To the point where I missed out on the good parts of being pregnant with her. It most likely led to me being diagnosed with PPD and again missing out on the first couple months of her life.

I'd like to think I'm wiser and calmer now with this pregnancy. I know that good things can happen in life as well as bad. I can't always prevent the latter from happening so instead focus on what I can control. The good, which is my daughter, husband and the fact that I am pregnant right now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's hard not to worry when you've been through scares or losses (as in my case), but taking everything one week and one appointment at a time has helped me a lot. Each time you get good news, hold onto that. Each time you see/hear that lovely heartbeat, hold onto that. 

Over on the pregnant after a loss board, we also talk a lot about mantras that get you through the hard days. Things like: 
    - Today, I am pregnant. Today, I am happy.
    - Each pregnancy is different. What happened in my last pregnancy (or a friend's pregnancy) doesn't dictate what will happen with this baby.
    - I am healthy and strong and I am providing a safe home for my baby.

Find some comforting words that work well for you and repeat them to yourself when the worry kicks in. 

Also, congrats and welcome!

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• smfdjosmfdjo member
    Awesome outlook.  I know worrying is normal but your husband is right (and so is mine) there is nothing worrying will do. I am a worrier too.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"