Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Potty Training ?

Okay, just curious when did or are you planning to put out a potty for your toddler.   Do you think it would be helpful to have it out early just to get your child interested in it?  Or not till you officially start training or they show they are ready?  Thoughts...

Re: Potty Training ?

• Options
    We bought a kid's seat for our toilet when DS started really following us into the bathroom and showing interest.  We haven't "officially" started PT and are following his lead for now, but he does sometimes play with his diaper and look like he might need to go, so we ask him if he needs to go to the potty.  He'll walk into the bathroom and try and pull down his pants and we'll get him on the toilet and then nothing.  He'll usually go once we get a diaper back on him, but again, we're not really working on it yet.

He did actually pee in the toilet on Sunday which was pretty unexpected and exciting.  He'd practically pulled his diaper off on his own for that one.

I'm honestly not to worried about it.  There's a mom on here who will come in talking about how she's had her kids PT at really early ages and what not.  That works for her and her family.  For us, we're ok with how it's going (or not) so far.
  • Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    DS sees his sister sit on the potty and go, so of course he wants a turn. Sometimes I stick him up on the potty ring fully clothed, and I always let him sit up there naked right before his bath. Sometimes he pees, other times not, but we sing a little potty song and he thinks he's hot stuff. I figure we will keep going with that method until he's older and can communicate more.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS has always shown interest in the bathroom, following me in, helping flush etc. I bought both a stand alone potty and the insert about 2 months ago. He will sit on both (the insert for longer since he can't get down by himself). We use the stand alone potty for naked time in between diaper changes and twice he has went to and hovered over it to go #2. He was kinda freaked out about the whole thing - but he knew to go to it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe when she turns 2, but we haven't given it much thought yet.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker

• Options
    We probably won't start introducing it till he is closer to 2. Although, yesterday I was super excited when right after he pooped he walked up to me and said, "mama I pooped" even though it sounds more like "ooopped" than "poop". Then I asked him if he needed a new diaper and he said yes and ran to his room to get his diaper changed. That was the first time he truly communicated it to me---so we will see if there is a pattern. As much as I want him to be potty trained---I recognize that it does take time and I don't see a need to rush it at the moment. I have also heard of people who introduce it too early who see major regression with it a few months later. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"