Adoption

Unknown Birth Father??

Hey everyone!  Sorry I've been MIA for a while - it has just been easier to not log in everyday because we're still in the waiting process.

We were just asked tonight if we were open to a situation where the father is Unknown - sounds perhaps like a one night stand/met at a bar, etc.  The BM is not interested in going to court over it.  I asked our SW about what it means for us and she said "Nothing just longer to finalize and you will have to advertise/probably an extra $800".

Has anyone had to do this?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Hope everyone is well! 

J&B // Married 9/19/09
J: 28 // B: 32 

TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)
November 2013: Applied & Accepted by the Agency
January 2014: Home Study, education class, Profiles
February 2014: "Officially Waiting"

Re: Unknown Birth Father??

• edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • From our experience it's state-specific as to how big a deal it is. In the state where we adopted DD, they have to practically move to heaven and earth to ID the birthfather. In others it's a different process. I'd just be clear on what your state laws are and see if you're comfortable with it. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • With DD1, we knew the name of BF, but didn't know where he was. We had to serve papers at the last known address, publish in the newspaper of the last known address and the newspaper of where the act occurred. I want to say it had to run for two weeks (I really don't remember!), then the courts could terminate BF rights. We had to hire an attorney to represent BF and show what had been done to contact him.
    I became a mother because of adoption. She is the absolute love of my life. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker formerly known as sw_in_kc
  • Thanks everyone!  I am hoping we hear back (either way) sometime next week.  Fingers crossed! 

J&B // Married 9/19/09
    J: 28 // B: 32 

TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)
    November 2013: Applied & Accepted by the Agency
    January 2014: Home Study, education class, Profiles
    February 2014: "Officially Waiting"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"