North Carolina Babies

Outerbanks?

Please help an Ohio nestie....We are looking to rent a house in the outer banks next May...we have it narrowed down to a few houses and they are all in differant cities.  the cities are Corolla, Duck, and Kill Devil Hills....anyone have any thoughts on these or recs?  TIA

Re: Outerbanks?

• Hey - just wanted to say hi b/c I'm from OH (Cleveland) - woot woot for OSU!

I've never been to the OB but have friends who've stayed in all 3 places you listed.  You might want to check out the chamber of commerce or websites for those places to see which would be the best fit for you.

• They are all great places and we are actually going to Kill Devil Hills tonight.  For a house though, I would probably go with Corolla of the three. 

The houses in Kill Devil Hills aren't quite as nice and are not as beachy because they are all very close to each other and it is more like a little city.  Still a great area, but not my preference if renting. 

From what I have seen of Duck it is more woodsy rather than beachy and I like beachy. Unless you are looking at ocean front in the area, in which case it a really good area with still a lot of touristy stuff.  The houses are usually very nice in this area.

Corolla is where it starts to thin out and you get more of a real beach experience IMO.  The houses are also usually really nice as well. 

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Kill Devil Hills is a more crowded, touristy area with lots of shopping and activities. If you are looking for something more quiet and out of the way, go with Duck or Corolla. They are up North and don't get as much traffic through as Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head area. HTH!

• M&M where about in Cleveland, I went to CSU and live about 30 min west of it.
  • I grew up in Newburgh Heights but moved to Seven Hills in high school.  I went to Kent State for college and after, moved down to NC to escape the cooooold!  =)
  • Out of the 3, I would stay in KDH.  Duck and Corolla are nice, but there are SO many people in SUCH a small area, and there's only 1 road.  We stayed in Corolla last summer, and I swore I'd never stay there again.  It's just too crowded, and took forever to get anywhere.  We have friends that live in KDH, and yes, it is more touristy and popular, but I'd rather deal with that then sit in traffic for an hour just to get to the store or go to eat.  And, unless your house is directly on the beach or has private beach access, it's a PITA to go out on the beach in Corolla. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Actually, Mikey has a great point as far as access to the cities.  We always go during off season times so we have never ran into any traffic, ever, but I hear that in the summer when you would be going it can be a nightmare.  That is definitely something to consider!
    My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAngelPack:
    Actually, Mikey has a great point as far as access to the cities.  We always go during off season times so we have never ran into any traffic, ever, but I hear that in the summer when you would be going it can be a nightmare.  That is definitely something to consider!

Exactly.  Corolla and Duck are very nice places to stay, and I would stay there again in the off season.  But, you'll be in KDH 2 hours sooner if you stay there in the summer.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd choose KDH too.... I'm an "old school" OBX vacationer (my parents grew up near there, and we've vacationed there yearly since I was born), and I just prefer the "main" beaches--KDH, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk. There's just more to do, and it is more my style. Corolla, Duck and the other northern beaches are nice, but I find them kind of pretentious and less of the "beachy" feel I like..It's true that the houses there are beautiful--there are a lot of huge, multi family houses, while I like the "beach cottage" feel of the other beaches (not that you don't find those huge homes there too, especially now)..

I dunno..A lot of my preference is just my own personal nostalgia, probably, but the northern beaches have never really been my style. Lots of fancy boutiques and expensive restaurants, versus the casual, cool places I like to shop/eat at. I also like the proximity to Manteo and the southern beaches (Hatteras, Ocracoke--though it's still an hour away), in Nags Head and KDH.  And while traffic is bad everywhere down there, it's terrible in Corolla and Duck in the summer, as there is only one main road.. 

GL!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Like Hughes, I've been going to the OBX every summer since I was born and I love it there. We go to Duck, and I really like it there because there are trails along the main road and through the neighborhoods, which make walking and biking easier. There are some nice shops and restaurants there, and since you are going in May it is not likely to be very crowded yet. Depending on where your house is in Duck, you may actually be able to walk to the shops and restaurants. Any of the three would be nice, and they are all pretty close to each other (they are basically consecutive towns, with Kill Devil Hills being the most southern of the towns that you listed and Corolla being the most northern.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"