Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Head butting?

My son is 20 months or so old and he has been head butting every time he gets mad. It doesnt matter where he is, he will head butt the dogs, my leg, the couch, or even more recently he has started to hit himself in the head. Is this normal? I literally have no idea how he learned this, or why he does it other than to protest..
.Became a mama to my sweet little boy after 3 years of waiting and praying in October '12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarried twins from our first IUI cycle. D&C on August 14th, 2014
Second IUI cycle: BFP
Beta #1 (13dpiui): 74 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 505 Beta #3 (18dpiui): 1205
First Ultrasound- 6w2d 110BPM! Our baby has a heartbeat!!
BabyFruit Ticker
imageimage

Re: Head butting?

• DD does this sometimes when frustrated. She doesn't headbutt- she pulls her own hair or smacks her  head. I just tell her not to hit herself and to use her words.
  • Our LO does this a few times a week - always when he's frustrated. I think they just don't know how to express it and it comes out like that. I just try not to react to it because I feel like a big reaction will give him more incentive to keep doing it. So I just try to redirect his attention elsewhere. I've also been trying to name what he's doing by saying, "Mad! You're so mad!" so eventually he'll be able to use words instead of the head butt. I think that's from Happiest Toddler on the Block? So far, it's not really helping, but I think we'll get there eventually.
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • My DS will be 2 this week and he does this.  Like you said, he will do it to anything.  Usually my legs or the couch.  He definitely does it when frustrated, but he also does it when his teeth are bugging him. 
    Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Litgirl77 that is a GREAT idea. Help him acknowledge his emotion without making it into a huge deal. Doesnt help that my FIL thinks its hilarious and laughs when he is around and does it...

.Became a mama to my sweet little boy after 3 years of waiting and praying in October '12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • I never thought to connect it to teething but that would make sense! We are also waiting on 3 more canines. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"