Multiples
Options

26 weeks, 6 days. Twins are here!!

This past week has been a whirlwind to say the least. It all started last Sunday with what I thought was the flu. I was admitted early tues morning, with contractions and very high white blood cell count. Things started to calm down and the plan was hospital rest for the next two months. Then thurs night the contractions started up again transitioning into unbearable. Friday at 5:25am my daughter was born, followed by my son at 5:27am.
They are beautiful! So tiny, but ow so precious!

Today I get discharged, and begin the life of traveling to the NICU everyday. I'm scared as hell, but keep in mind to take one day at a time. It's such a helpless feeling to just look at them in their incubators. Every time I walk to their room, I hold my breathe until the nurse gives me news on their progress.
It's going to be a long emotional road, and I'm truely going to try my best to keep it together, pump as much as possible, and patiently wait for the day (prob September) when we can bring them home.

Any words of advice or experience in dealing with a similar situation would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: 26 weeks, 6 days. Twins are here!!

• Options
    No advice as my twins are still on the inside, but your attitude is amazing and ill be praying for as quick of a discharge for your littles as possible. You are so brave!!!
  • Options
    OdebdoOdebdo member
    My twins were born at 33 weeks. My little girl came home after 19 days in the NICU but my little boy is still there, so now I lug baby girl with me everyday to visit him. We most likely will be talking about bringing him home on oxygen this week. My only advice is to adjust your expectations. Celebrate the little milestones. And cry when you need to. It is hard and I know my stay was way different than yours as my babies had more inside time. Will be praying for you. I hope you also have joined the preemie forum...those ladies are wonderful and very helpful
    Me, 36
    DH, 44
    TTC since 2008
    IVF in Oct 2013
    5R, 4F, Only 2 blasts made it, both transferred
    10-31-2013 = BFP
    TWINS!! Due July 11, 2014
    Lillian & Harrison born at 33w1d on May 24, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congratulations on their birth and best wishes for them to thrive and have as brief of a NICU stay as possible! Definitely check out the preemies board.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options
    T&Ps for you and your babies!

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• Options
    Congrats on the birth of your babies! We also had a long NICU stay recently as our babies arrived at 27+2. Take it one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time. Like pp's have said, celebrate the little milestones. If there is a parent group, I recommend going. Our NICU had one and we met some parents IRL going through similar struggles and we still keep in touch with them. Also, check out the preemie board if you haven't already!
    Me: 33 DH: 36 Unexplained IF
    First pregnancy - DS 01-Apr-09;
    3rd cycle Clomid/IUI after 2 years TTC
    TTC #2 since ~June 2010
    IUI #1 & 2 - Clomid/IUI - BFN
    IUI #3 &4 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFN
    IUI #5 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFP!!
    EDD: March 22, 2013
    It's triplets!!

• Options
    e74e74 member
    Congrats! Our twin boys were born at 31 weeks, 3 days following 8 weeks of bed rest. I don't have much to add, accepting help is a big one... My two were in two different NICUs for some time, so I had no choice but to accept help... It is hard admitting you can't do everything! Best wishes...
    DS#1 born 9/23/06 
    Twins DS#2 and 3 born at 31 weeks, 3 days due to a short cervix on 8/2/13.
  • Options
    Congratulations and I hope your NICU stay goes as uneventful as possible.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Options
    Congratulations on your little ones! I'm sorry they came unexpectedly early. I hope they have a short stay. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Wow. . . . Thank u so much for all your kind words. I swear just when I think I'm all dried up, the tears start flowing again.
    Much appreciated advice!!!!!!!
  • Options
    No advice as my twins are still on the inside, but your attitude is amazing and ill be praying for as quick of a discharge for your littles as possible. You are so brave!!!
    I second this!  

************** Siggy Warning************

Married August 2012 -- Me (40 yrs old) My husband (45 yrs. old) 

RE referral from ObGYN in late Jan. 2013 -- Testing Confirms Unexplained IF 

IUI #"s1 - 3 (Femara + IUI) April - June 2013 - all BFN

Decided to do IVF... Began stimming on September 10th!  Egg Retrieval 9/20/13.  19 eggs: 6 to mature to freeze after 6 fertilized with ICSI

3 morula stage embryos transferred on 9/25/13.....Beta #1 on 10/4/13/ = 7.5  Beta #2 on 10/6/13 =  negative

IVF#2 - Lupron plan  (set to begin on 10/28/13)  (Planning on thawing and fertilizing our 6 eggs with ICSI as well as all of the mature eggs they retrieve with this fresh cycle.)

Late October 2013 - ectopic pregnancy - methotrexate injection....benched 3 months

CD1 - 12/5/13...Lupron set to start on 12/26/13; CD1 - 1/2/14....Baseline 1/3/14....begin follistim tonight and continue with lupron.  (Got my calendar today!  IVF#2 is a go!)

ER = 1/14/14  (11 eggs....9 were mature. 9 fertilized.  Of the 6 mature eggs we thawed, only 4 fertilized.  At this time, we have 13 eggs fertilized and growing.  Waiting for news about a 3-day or 5-day transfer.)

ET = 1/19/14  (5dt).....3 blastocysts transferred!   (All nine embryos didn't make it to freeze.  =(  )

Beta #1 = 1/28/14   (2 weeks after ER)  BFP! 209 (9dp5dt)   EDD 10/7/14

Beta #2 - 1/30/14  (11 dp5dt) 302

Beta #3 - 2/3/14  (15 dp5dt)  1222 

Ultrasound set for 2/17/14......TWINS!        Twin A - HR 124 bpm; Twin B - HR 126 bpm

Final Ultrasound with RE 3/10/14 - Twin A - HR 176 bpm; Twin B - HR 177 bpm.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome! 

imageimage 

imageimageimage

• Options
    I hope that all goes well. Breathe and celebrate their arrival. It is hard but will be worth it
  • Options
    TRS48TRS48 member
    Just wanted to send you my T&Ps! Congrats on your sweet little ones and best wishes for an uneventful NICU stay! :) What strong little troopers you've got! They are inspiring! :)

• Options
    Congratulations! I hope the babies make fast progress in the NICU and get to come home soon. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    No advice, but wanted you to know I will be keeping you and your precious babies in my thoughts. Best wishes for a short NICU stay and that you have them home soon.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm a NICU nurse and a twin mom, so my perspective is a bit unique. I agree with getting to know the nurses and doctors and keeping a notebook/journal with what people tell you, what is discussed during rounds, and the twins progress and questions you might have. It winds up being a great reference for you, even if its just to help remember dates! I also would suggest getting a routine for yourself and taking care of yourself. You can't be there for your babies if you aren't 100%. Just take it day by day and expect a bit of a roller coaster. Congrats on your littles and I hope you have an uneventful stay!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Many thoughts and prayers for you and your babies!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Options
    Congratulations.  My twins spent some time in the NICU.  Take it one day at a time.  And make sure to take care of yourself as well. 
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • Options
    Congrats and many thoughts and prayers. Mine were in the NICU for 3 weeks. It was tough. Take care of yourself and spend as much time with them as you can, that's my biggest regret! If your SO gets time off work don't waste it all while they are in the hospital, save some for when they get home :) Mine were born at 33 weeks, so Im not sure how this will differ in your case but I would fight for skin to skin. They refused at first with my boy baby since he was on oxygen and told me he wasn't strong enough. I fought for 4 days and finally one night nurse gave me the go ahead! The very next morning he was off of oxygen! It may have been coincidence but I think he really needed the comfort of familiarity!! good luck with those sweet babies
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

• Options
    Wow! Congrats and welcome to your LOs. I'd definitely suggest making a home of the Preemie message board -- it's a wonderful community of women who have been there, done that. The NICU journey is HARD and will change you forever -- in good ways, and some you'd probably rather do without. But, at the end of the day, taking those LOs home will make it all worth it. 

My ladies were born at 29w3d, and we spent 81 long days in the NICU. Here's to hoping your stay is as boring as they come!
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
  • Options
    JenyB6JenyB6 member
    Congrats! Prayers for an uneventful NICU stay.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Congratulations! I second the advise on getting a routine down, it has been the only thing keeping me sane and functioning.

Best wishes for an uneventful stay!
  • Options
    Again thank you for all you T&P/kind words. It's a roller coaster to say the least, but those moments of watching them both sleep peacefully or their eyes wide open looking in my direction; make me SO GRATEFUL that I have my lil miracles.
  • Options
    We're in the same boat, congrats! 
    Our twins were born on 5/19 at 27 weeks and have been in the NICU for a month now. The trek back and forth is tough, especially since we have a 21 month old who cannot go, so we need sitters or have to juggle switching off. BUT hang in there! We see babies go home a lot and its encouraging AND our babies (just like yours) are getting stronger and are in good hands.

CONGRATS again!
  • Options
    Congratulations and lots of growing and strong thoughts sent to your babies!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"