October 2013 Moms

Breathing problems...please help. long.

I have been struggling with this for a while now and I'm beyond frustrated and worried. Evan had bronchiolitis (severe enough to be hospitalized overnight) when he was 4 and a half months old. He has had wheezing and breathing problems on and off ever since, but it got really bad at the end of April. Since then, he has literally been wheezing every single day, all day long. I have been to the doctor multiple times, they keep telling me it's probably just leftover bronchiolitis, we have been prescribed a nebulizer, and have gone from doing treatments once a day to 2-3 times a day, and it just isn't helping. They finally referred us to Children's Hospital Pulmonology, but the first available appointment isn't until July 22 and they keep telling me just to call back and check for cancellations. His breathing continues to get worse every day and I just don't know what to do. I feel like no one will help me and everyone keeps telling me "it will be fine" or "he's okay" when I know that it's not normal for him to be wheezing every day for almost 2 months now. Any suggestions? Do I take him to the ER? Anyone else have to deal with anything like this? 

Sorry this was long, thanks for helping a sad, stressed, and worried momma. 
Lilypie - (z9ZY)

Re: Breathing problems...please help. long.

• Is there another pulmonologist you could see?  I wouldn't want to wait another month to have answers. I'd call around and see if there is somewhere else to be seen sooner. 

I haven't been happy with the answers I've gotten and how dd's cough was handled by her doctors either.  I don't know if it's because she's my kid and no one is going to care as much about her cough as I am or because her doctors have become desensitized.  I'm not sure.  I know if it was something as serious as your LOs breathing I'd be concerned and probably try to get in sooner or seek a second opinion.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• is there another childeren's hospital around you? what about *not* around you? if you're really worried, it's worth the drive to the next state (for example) to get an earlier appointment.

• Loading the player...
  • Definitely call around to find another place or call daily to check for cancelations and if your LO seems to be in respiratory distress don't hesitate to go to the ER. I had horrible asthma as a child and had my first full blown asthma attack at 9 months.
  • SdeuxSdeux member
    Awe poor boy! We have just gone thru the Bronchiolitis thing. DS was Rx'd a nebulizer 4x a day for 10 days. Then his pedi put him on 2 puffers for 7 days and then again as needed. So far so good on this end. But it's terrible having to use the nebulizer, poor babes don't understand and having to force the mask in them is heartbreaking. Did you DS have a chest X-ray done? Is it possible for babies to have asthma? I've been told that sometimes going thru things like this can lead to asthma in the future. But I could be completely wrong. What about seeing the on call pedi in ER? When my DS was coughing like crazy I took him to our family doc, his pedi was on holidays. He immediately sent us to the hospital for a chest X-ray and to see the on call pedi. Then when DS pedi was back from holidays we seen her and she put him in puffers. So far it's cleared things up. Good luck I hope he is getting the help he needs soon. I can't believe they are kind of rubbing it off like it's no big deal. I would be worried about pneumonia etc.
  • huntjulhuntjul member
    edited June 2014
    1. Call the pulmonologist's office again and relate the absolute medical necessity and urgency of the situation.
    2. If Mama Bear doesn't work, call the referring doctor, explain the situation, and have them call the pulmonologist to explain that an earlier appointment is needed and have them make the appt.
    3. If neither of these works, find a new pulmonologist.

ETA and at any time if you feel like the breathing is very poor and he needs to be seen urgently, the ER is the place to go.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • I don't know if you believe in essential oils, but I do! They have helped my little family tremendously. There's a couple that I think would be of great help. Let me know if guy want more info.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is it possible to take him to the ER at that hospital, so the Pulmonologist has to see him?  I know that kind of seems like "cutting the line", but if it has been going on this long and getting worse, I wouldn't really feel bad about doing it.
    photo 2465-1_zps83b1ff09.jpg
    Married 6/26/10  TTC 1/13  BFP 1/31/13   Wills born 10/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"