Single Parents

question about mediation (XP-Blended Families)

Hi Ladies!  I have a friend who could use your help.  She has been on your board, but stepped back due to pending custody issues.  Currently she and BD do not have a CO.  They are working on one (with lawyers), but aren’t able to agree on the terms.  Lo is about 1 year old (in case that affects your answers).  Her lawyer is suggesting private mediation, but she’s unsure what that means and entails.  Do the lawyers do the talking or is it her and BD?  Are lawyers present, and if not, how do issues get resolved if she and BD can’t come to an agreement?  She and BD have already tried counseling, and it did not help at all.  How is mediation more effective (if it is)?

Thank you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: question about mediation (XP-Blended Families)

• My county does mediation for all parties to try to work it out in their own. I'm not sure but I don't think lawyers are present. I could not partake with my stbxh bc I have a restraining order against him or else I would have. I did mediation with another family member on a related issue and it went great. This is what they do - they are experienced in this very field - so she should absolutely try. Know what she would like going into it. And give it a shot. Worst case, they go back to court. Best case, they save a ton of money. What does her lawyer say?
  • @MrsLynnyD  Her lawyer thinks it's a good idea and worth a try.  I don't think she has a lot of hope of mediation working, but I think she's going to give it a try.  It can't hurt, right.  Thank you for the information.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"