Secondary IF

IUI and multiples?

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering what your RE's are giving you for statistics on multiples with IUI? My DH is nervous (terrified) about having twins. I think knowing what 1 baby is like makes him scared to have 2 at once! Naturally, we would figure it out and adapt, but I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. We have done 2 rounds of Clomid with timed intercourse, and are now in the 2WW of a round of Clomid with Ovidrel trigger. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: IUI and multiples?

• My RE quoted me 8% chance of twins, 1% chance of triplets. Not with just IUI but with chlomid or letrozle I believe.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

• Thanks! For some reason my husband thinks IUI is a guaranteed twin thing (when obviously it's not).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't even think an iui increased the chance of multiples- isn't it more just the ovulation med?!

My History:
    Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
    Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
    Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
    Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
    Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
    About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.
  • I don't know, that's what I was thinking but I always hear differing results!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes @iheartsippycups‌2... That's what I meant. The meds increase not necessarily the IUI.

@lazfam1120‌ if you are already on the meds your odds are already increased.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

• pettycrockerpettycrocker member
    edited June 2014
    Nothing is a guaranteed twin thing. I've put back 2 embryos for IVF cycles TWICE and got zero babies to show for it- So think about it like that, if you put 2 actually fertilized embryos in your uterus and there is a chance neither one of them stick, the odds of twins for IUI are very low, considering there's much more that needs to be done for them to actually become an embryo. That said, majority of Drs will cancel an IUI with more than 3 mature follies, just because the more mature follicles you have, the higher the chance that more than one will fertilize, you know? 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it also depends what your IF diagnosis is also. I have a severely low AMH so even though I'm getting 2-3 nice looking follicles a cycle it doesn't mean that there was a egg inside. You and DH could probably talk to your RE and say you only want to trigger with 1 follie or cancel the cycle (if DH is that worried).

imageimageimage
    My FF Chart:
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/490dd7
    TTC #3 since June 2013
    BFP #1 7/21/2013--EDD 3/30/14--D&C 9/24/13
    BFP #2 1/28/14--MC 2/7/14

IUI #1 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #2 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #3 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IVF #1, Stimmed for 12 days, ER 8/22/14, 9 retrieved, 7M, 7F!!  Freeze all due to fluid in uterus.
    FET end of October 2014 cancelled due to fluid in uterus due to possible c-scar defect
    Surgery scheduled 12/12/14 to fix possible isthmocele
    3/26/15 transferred one 8 cell grade 4 embryo and one 6 cell grade 3 embryo = slow rising betas for 2+ weeks = ectopic MTX shot 4/29/15
    Repeat c-scar surgery June 2015
    2nd and last IVF cycle August 2015, stimmed for 12 days, 2 egg retrieved, both mature and both fertilized.  Transferred both 8-cell embryos on Day 3, beta 9/5/15 = BFFN
    MOVING TO ADOPTION!  

• Yes, I want to reiterate what your dx is.  I had a friend who had EIGHT mature follies and then went forward with the IUI because her hub's counts were so low and it still failed.  (It was really devastating for her, btw).  But all that to say, it just depends. 
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • Thanks everyone, all things I assumed to be true anyway. My dx is unexplained. I've had HSG, hysterocopy, other labs/ultrasounds and everything loos great. DH had semen analysis and everything was great there too. Which is good, but as you know, so frustrating!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ^hahahhaha

I has no experience but in my opinion I'd rather have 2 babies than none. DH's nervousness is normal, my DH is the same.
    Me: 36, DH: 36
    DH's SA = normal
    1 tube only wonder
    AFC 3-5, AMH 0.30

BFP #1 3/29/11.  EDD 12/4/11... Missed m/c 5/9/11. Cytotec fail. D&C 5/17/11.
    BFP #2   7/5/11.  EDD 3/14/12... Our rainbow Kellen born 3/14/12 via c/s.
    BFP #3 5/30/13.  EDD 2/8/14...  6wk u/s HB 126. 8wk u/s lost HB. D&C 7/12/13.
    BFP #4 2/18/14.  EDD 10/30/14... Ruptured ectopic with L tube removed & D&C 3/7/14.
    BFP #5 7/27/14.  EDD 4/9/15...  m/c @ 5w4d.

IVF #1    Oct 2014 - antagonist protocol: 9R, 7M, 5F. 3dt of 3 Grade 2 embies. BFN. 
    IVF #2    Jan 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.  Converted to IUI #1. BFFN
    IVF #2.1 March 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.

BFP #6  (SUPRISE!) 3/19/15.  EDD 11/30/15...  CP at 4w2d.
    IUI #2:    Clomid + Follistim = 3 follies. BFN.
    IVF #2.2 May 2015 - horrible response to micro lupron flare protocol: 3R, 3M, 3F. 3dt of 2 Grade 3 embies. BFFN. 

BFP #7 (beyond surprised again!) 4/26/16. EDD 1/5/17. beautiful betas!!!! and then near-fatal hemorrhagic corpus luteum. turns out baby was ectopic after all; another lap 5/6 (@24dpo).

the universe can fuck off.

"You are overly paranoid and delusional that every one is out to get you." -lastsliverofhope

all AL welcome. TTC #2 for 43 44 months.
    follow my infertility journey here at timestandsstillblog.com

• We are IUI protocol, and are moving to injectibles this coming cycle. My RE and I are being extremely cautious about multiples because given my history with G it is very unlikely I could carry them even close to term, but also keeping in mind that my sucessful cycle to get G I had three mature follies and one borderline, we went ahead with the IUI and only one took.

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• Alright, I am very new to this, thought have been trying for few years. I had 3 cycles with Clomid and it didnt work. Last month we decided for IUI and didnt work. This month we are trying clomid, the shot trigger, and the IUI and we are praying it will work, like all of us, I am sure.
    Before we started the process with IUI, my doctor really sat down to have a talk with my and DH. She told me that there is 25% chance that we could have twins and 1% of triplets. She told us to think about what would we do if we had multiples, because there was a chance and we needed to be prepared for that. My DH and I thought a lot about it before starting all the process with IUI.
    I would say: true, it is never sure on rather you will have multiples or not, but you do need to think about it and make sure you are on the same page if it does happen. I am learning with this long and frustrating journey that you need to think about all situations and try to prepare as much as you can. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"