3rd Trimester

Heart strain medication

My OB referred me to a cardiologist due to shortness of breath, which I just attributed to baby's position. I had to have a 24-hour heart monitor. The results showed heart strain and leg vein problems (not given any more details than this). The cardiologist even said no more pregnancies for me, which isn't a problem, since we already decided no more after this one. The cardiologist prescribed lisinopril and metoprolol succinate. The lisinopril shows side-effects of serious, even fatal harm to unborn babies. The cardiologist knew I am 36 weeks, and I even asked the pharmacist if these were safe in third trimester pregnancy. He said they were. Anyone know about this or have opinions? I don't plan on taking them until I talk to my OB.

Re: Heart strain medication

• jg1011jg1011 member
    I've taken metroprolol but not lisinopril. I was very hesitant but OB said risks outweigh benefits. My DS was fine!
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone. I did talk to my OB. He said no to the lisinopril. He explained that it is contraindicated in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters due to reducing amniotic fluid. He said okay to the metoprolol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"