May 2012 Moms

Potty Training - Here We Go

Tomorrow is day 1 of the three day potty training method. Send me all the patient vibes you have! Staying home for three days is going to drive me crazy enough, much less the whole potty training part.

Re: Potty Training - Here We Go

• Day 2 update - Well, it is going okay I guess but worse than I expected. If I put him on the potty he will generally go. I have been doing that before/after sleep. This method says you are supposed to get them to tell you, though, and not just take them at regular intervals. I have had no luck getting him to tell me before he goes. He tells me that he is wet after the fact. I am pretty crummy at catching him in the act too, even though I am watching him. I am still using diapers when he is asleep (contrary to what the method says) but he woke up from his nap dry yesterday and was only wet this morning (he is usually wet and dirty in the morning). I keep telling myself that this takes time but I don't feel like we have made progress in the past 24 hours.
  • Can I ask you what signs he was giving to indicate that he was ready to potty train? I only ask because I hear a lot of people tell me, including my pediatrician, that if they aren't regularly telling you that they need to go potty (before they actually wet themselves) then they probably aren't ready. I'm just curious what signs you saw because I am also trying to decide when to start training for DD.

Hang in there. I hope he gets the hang of things and he will be in big boy underwear soon!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • MrsH11710 said:

Can I ask you what signs he was giving to indicate that he was ready to potty train? I only ask because I hear a lot of people tell me, including my pediatrician, that if they aren't regularly telling you that they need to go potty (before they actually wet themselves) then they probably aren't ready. I'm just curious what signs you saw because I am also trying to decide when to start training for DD.

Hang in there. I hope he gets the hang of things and he will be in big boy underwear soon!

He actually wasn't really giving me many signs. When I bought the potty about a month ago he told me several times he wanted to use it and actually did. He would tell me when he went poopy in his diaper and was mostly right. The three day method lady says any kid over 22 months is ready. I am not sure if he is or not, but thought it was worth a shot. We are expecting #2 in February and I would like to have him well trained before that.
  • While I'm not saying you lo isn't ready I disagree that every child over 22 months is ready and I did the three day with my middle child after a year of messing around with potty training. By day two he was telling me and waking up dry everytime we even went shopping and peed on the potty while out. By day three he was ready to go with gentle reminding if he was busy playing BUT he was a month shy of three.

If they don't know when they need to go and are waking up dry then it will be much much harder, or the parent is trained to take the child every set amount of time.

I'm not saying it's not worth a try just don't be upset if it takes more than three days
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Bellelamb - Thanks for the feedback. I am a FTM and definitely making it up as I go along. Our plan is to see where we are at the end of the three days and if there is zero progress to try again later.

We did have a possible breakthrough this evening, although you may just call it bribery :-). We have been giving him M&M's if he goes in the potty. This evening he went several times just so that he could get his treat. While that is not where we want to be, it means he can control it.
  • Well, we are most of the way through day 3 and we are throwing in the towel (or Clorox wipes :-) ). He hasn't told me once that he needs to go except the couple times yesterday when he wanted a treat. I don't want to give up after devoting three days of my life entirely to this, but we are making no progress and I have got to get out of this house! I guess we will try again in a month or two. I just want him well trained before February because I can't imagine trying to do this with an infant and I don't want him to be new at it and regress with the new baby.
  • ELF4321ELF4321 member
    edited June 2014
    Most of my friends with boys say 3 years is when most of them are ready. Don't feel bad. And don't feel like it's a total loss - at least you've introduced the concepts to him and maybe he'll start to think about it more. If you want to, you could keep "potty time" as part of your pre-nap and pre-bed routines. We did that for DD and I think it helped boost her comfort and confidence level.

• ELF4321 said:
    Most of my friends with boys say 3 years is when most of them are ready. Don't feel bad. And don't feel like it's a total loss - at least you've introduced the concepts to him and maybe he'll start to think about it more. If you want to, you could keep "potty time" as part of your pre-nap and pre-bed routines. We did that for DD and I think it helped boost her comfort and confidence level.
    This!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

• Yeah even February is early honestly around three is so much easier potty training was so easy when the kid was ready. I do think introducing now is great just be careful doing the three day too many times since it will loose the purpose since the idea is to throw out all the diapers and never look back.

Not saying you did any thing wrong just trying to help
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"