Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Is she sleeping too much (can't believe I'm asking this!)

Hi ladies - 
This might be a silly question, but my 4 week old DD has been passing out fast asleep at every feeding. If I don't wake her, she can sleep for the next hour or so in my arms. Then wake up, eat a tiny bit more (maybe 1/2 to 1 oz) and fall back asleep. Is this normal good baby behavior? Should I pump and give her a bottle so that she gets enough to eat? I'm worried that she's falling into this pattern of not eating enough, being tired and then not eating enough again because she falls asleep. Thanks!
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is she sleeping too much (can't believe I'm asking this!)

• Options
    i'm no pro by any means but it sounds okay to me. my LO would fall asleep at my breast after about 10 minutes initially and i would put her down.  initially i was waking her every 2-3 hours for a feed but have stopped doing that the last 2 weeks and trying to go by cues and on-demand.  

as long as your LO is gaining appropriate weight and having enough wet diapers i wouldn't rush to give her a bottle. if everything else is ok i think baby will wake up and let you know when he's hungry.

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
  • Options
    I agree with the PP. When my DD was that young she did pretty much the same thing. I would run her cheek or her back to wake her enough that she would continue eating but she fell asleep while nursing a lot. And then went to sleep as soon as she was finished.

Like the PP said just keep track of her diapers and weight gain (you can do this at home - just get on the scale with and without her). If she is wetting enough diapers and gaining weight then she is fine. I would not give her a bottle at this point either.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much for sharing, guys! I've got a baby scale, so she is gaining weight and there are plenty of wet/dirty diapers. It sounds like all things are on track, then! I'll bring this up with our pedi next week just in case, but you've definitely put my slight concern at ease.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"