August 2012 Moms

Nursemaid's elbow

Anyone have any experience here?

We were in for the second time in about 30 days to have her elbow reduced and put back to rights. The first time it happened at daycare when a teacher grabbed for Evie when her foot slipped on the step up to the slide - she grabbed Evie around the waist and also her right arm - no big, these things happen. Today it happened again, and the daycare owner stated her teachers have been extra careful with her since and are not sure what happened to cause it this time. I'm assuming when she was playing with a toy or a kid? 

The first time the doctor set it back in place, the pain was gone instantly and she started using her arm immediately. This time? Not so much. We're home from urgent care (her pediatrician could not see her,) and she is still not using it at all and she cries out when I touch her. The doctor that saw her at daycare said that there are some instances when children have this as an ongoing problem until they are 3 or 4. Awesome, right? 

While I was pregnant, I read an article on gentle parenting that cautioned against certain types of play that could cause this situation, and other joint problems and it put the irrational fear of god in me - I've always been very careful with as a result. I'm a little miffed that this keeps happening at daycare, but I otherwise love them so I'm not sure what to do there.

Anyone else have any china dolls?

(and heyyyy long time no see!)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nursemaid's elbow

• Poor girls. I've heard this is so painful.
    Like @annieluvsjordan‌ said I've also heard once it happens it's more likely to happen again.
    No advice on why she's still hurting. Hope she feels better soon.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Sorry no advice - just wanted to say I am so sorry that happened and I hope it is better soon! I know it is hard on you too!
  • Loading the player...
  • The doctor we saw clearly did not do the maneuver right, since she was in pain the rest of the night. We should have taken her back in, I regret not doing that last night. We had planned to take her to her doctor this morning - rather, my husband had since I couldn't get off work. Before I could call her doctors office to let them know we were coming, he called me to tell me he had FIXED IT HIMSELF. He researched it and looked at videos online and reduced her elbow himself.

I'm married to Superman, I think. Evie was using her arm just fine in a matter of minutes afterwards.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hope Evie is feeling better!

I got a call from my mom, who babysits DD, this afternoon hysterical because she was rough housing with Felicia and all of a sudden she started crying. I left work came and got them and went down to Children's hospital and after some xrays and talking to the doctor she told us she felt DD had nursemaid elbow. She worked her magic and not even 5 minutes after DD was using her arm again. The doctor said its very common at this age because the ligaments are loose since they are still little and growing. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • I had that as achild...scared the h#$l out of my Dad!!! I have had no issues growing up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"