High-Risk Pregnancy

T1 Moms - when did insulin resistance kick in?

I'm almost 19 weeks and it seems the past few days my insulin has been replaced with water.  I've changed my I:C ratio from 1:6 to 1:5 to see if that helps and have bumped up my basal rates a smidge.

Just wondering if this could be the start of insulin resistance? 

Re: T1 Moms - when did insulin resistance kick in?

• I had gradual changes in my basal rate through 2nd trimester, but huge changes to my basal and carb ratios starting around 28 weeks.  You definitely might notice the start of insulin resistance now, but for me, it was 3rd trimester that was a huge change in how much Humalog I needed to take for every bite of food I ate.  Good luck!

<3

• mmookimmooki member
    Last time it was end of second tri
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • starla487 said:
    I'm down to a 1:3.5 for breakfast right now and still seeing spikes. But my corrections still work, so I don't think I've tipped over to the dark side quite yet.
    Breakfast is my trouble spot, it seems.  Grrrrr.

• vmt617vmt617 member
    At almost 22 weeks, I think I'm starting to see some resistance. I've increased my midnight-4am basal rates already and I think they need increased again. I keep jumping 75-100 points over that four hour span. 

My insulin to carb ratios seem to be working for now - I'm noticing the most change (even though still slight) in basal needs. 
    EDD 10/24/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm glad someone posted this!  I was coming to the high risk board looking specifically for this topic!

I'm almost 22 weeks and last week I noticed that my numbers were higher than they should be, especially before and after breakfast.  I changed my morning basal and breakfast bolus from 1:6.6 to 1:5 yesterday and I was still in the 190s before and after breakfast.  I'm frustrated because I was doing so well before.

I guess it's eggs, salad and meat from here on out...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yeah, I'm thinking I need to make some diet changes soon.  Time to google yummy veggie recipes!

• This is good to know, I've always had trouble with breakfast too. I'm 16 weeks and noticing a lot of lows lately, so I'll need to prepare before the resistance kicks in! Thanks for posting this!
  • starla487 said:
    Nacho and Heartwood - have you two tried pre-bolusing for your breakfasts yet? Like maybe dial in your dose about 15-20 minutes ahead of time? I experimented with this for about a week, and it worked a bit too well - I would drop below 60 shortly after eating. So I kinda gave up, realizing it was probably just the food I was eating. But, YDMV.
    I try to pre-bolus for every meal.  In the mornings I'll bolus and then pack my lunch and make breakfast so usually about 10ish minutes passes. 

I'm currently seeing 53 and a SE arrow on my CGM so I'm wondering if my I:C was a little too aggressive.  Yesterday I spiked in the 150s so it seemed to work well then.  Today, notsomuch.  Diabetes = doing the same thing over and over and expecting similar results.

• starla487 said:
    It really is a wonder we're not all clinically insane. :-P
    My coworker jokingly calls me a science experiment, because of all the rate adjusting I do.  I can only laugh, because it's true!

<3

• starla487 said:
    kks4471 said:
    starla487 said:
    It really is a wonder we're not all clinically insane. :-P
    My coworker jokingly calls me a science experiment, because of all the rate adjusting I do.  I can only laugh, because it's true!

Right?? Also, congrats on your new baby @kks4471! :)
    Thank you!  He's perfectly healthy, we're so in love!  Very thankful for no major pregnancy complications.  Now I just have to adjust my rates alllll over again lol.

<3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"