August 2012 Moms

Leaving DD for a week

Hi everyone!  My DD is a pro at staying with either set of grandparents - we have left her for overnights so we can attend weddings or other special events, and we went out of town twice last summer for two or three nights.  She has done a great job whether she stays at my parents' house or has DH's dad stay here with her.

Next week, we are going to Colorado without her for eight days.  Yikes!  We spent a lot of time going back and forth about taking her on the trip because there are some things she might enjoy, but ultimately decided against it.  She is going to stay with my parents and will go to daycare every day as usual, which I think is very positive.

I'm wondering if I should put together anything special for her - like a "countdown to mommy and daddy coming home" sticker chart or a special price for each day - or if I should just treat it like a normal week.  I have started talking to her about how she gets to sleep at grandpa and grandma's house for a lot of nights and that mommy and daddy won't be there.  She seems pretty excited, actually.

Have any of you left your LO recently for this long?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Re: Leaving DD for a week

• I just left her for 6 days a few weeks ago, but she stayed with my husband. He said she was more cranky than usual the second day, then was fine, other than saying my name a lot. She was really clingy for a few days when I got back. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary before I left, like telling her I was going or anything. We Facetimed a couple of times a day. I think the time apart was way harder on me than it was on her. Enjoy your trip!
  • Thanks @Becc77!  I definitely expect clinginess upon return.  She did that last summer when we went out of town for a wedding for two days.

The Facetime thing is a good idea.  My dad and I both have iPads and we'll be staying in an apartment with WiFi, so we could definitely work that out.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are leaving Jax with DH's parents for the first week of July. They are so excited and she will be camping with them for any days that are good. I know she will be clingy when we come back, but she's been with them for multiple days and nights before, and she has done great.

I'm going,to miss her like crazy because I will just be working and such. I'm hoping to get a lot of organizing and cleaning,done while I don't have a tiny human with me.

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"