Working Moms
Options

Any moms in grad school/university here?

Hello,

I am wondering if there are any grad students here that also work part-time or not.  My husband and I are thinking about ttc after the 2nd year of my MA (when intense course work is done).  What were the challenges you faced?  Would you recommend it?  If there aren't any mommy's here do you know which board I should be on?  I am very organized and work tremendously hard.  I know that I would take a leave for a term at least or do my practicum part time; obviously lighten my load and take my time.  I will be moving forward onto my PhD which is not as strenuous as the MA program for my area of study.  My DH works full-time and we don't have any CC debt and only one loan.  What do you think?  I guess i've heard it's doable but difficult.  Just wonding if any of you have advice to share.

Thanks! 

Re: Any moms in grad school/university here?

• Options

I'm not in grad school, but I'm hoping to start someday soon. 

I was a single mom while doing my undergrad though.  It was definitely challenging at times...writing a paper in between bottle feedings, waiting until he went to bed to study for that mid-term.  I only did a part-time semester for the latter part of my pregnancy, and took off two weeks from classes to recover.  For me, that was the easy part.  It was just finding the time and motivation for studying that was the hardest challenge.  But it can definitely be done.  Good luck :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just completed my PhD, and we'll be TTC soon. But I must say, if I could have had kids during grad school, I would have loved it! You have SO much flexibility with your time and schedule. Imho, it's the best time to be pregnant and have a baby. We weren't able to though b/c we're both in school and thus, not enough $ then! Now we have the money, but no time!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a single mom and am still school for my Master's degree. I work full time for a daycare chain and they pay for my schooling. Life is hectic, but my flexible scheduling in both jobs (I'm the manager, so no set classroom  schedule for me to maintain) allows me to do both as well as be a great mother to my son. Good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

I wasn't..........but I had classmates that had to drop out of my program because it became too much to juggle.

It seems like doing this would be making your life a lot harder than it has to be unnecessarily.  I try not to do that.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I work FT, and just graduated with my MBA.  It was a two year program (actual classes not online).  I was pregnant about midway through. I took off one semester after having the baby.  I took one class while actually being a mom.  It was difficult.  I was gone 4-5 nights a week until 9pm after working all day. 

If it is something you want to do, then you will figure it out.  Make sure you go into it with your DH knowing that he will have to help out.  DH basically raised DD from 4 - 6 months without me.

• Options

Hi, Im new to the board but I can relate. I had my first child while in undergrad. It was hard work and I made it. Now that I am in my graduate program I am expecting my second child. I work full time, and am a part time student. I made it work by finding a program that was during the day on Tuesdays only, and working out a schedule with my job where i just work a few more hours on the days I am there. Sometimes it is stressful but I am making it work. If it is something you really want just evaluate the situation and make sure your family is supporting you.

Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

i gave birth during the summer between the two years i completed my masters, so the second year, i was in school and worked FT and was a new mommy.

it was a very busy year. DH did more than his fare share of things. We hired someone to clean 2x a month. I didn't have much of a social life, but everyone in my program really bonded. My family cooked for us and stocked my fridge and freezer often so it would be one less thing i had to worry about.

my boss was very understanding because she knew i also commuted nearly 4 hours a day and that a baby and homework kept me up all night. i was often late, but worked thru lunch and she never said a word to me in all the months it took me to get on a better schedule. i carefully used my vacation time to complete assignments and write papers - i just couldn't manage it all during the week and my classes were all day Saturday (I'd be gone from 7am - 5pm).

i had the support i needed to succeed everywhere.

• Options
    Thanks for all the advice!  My DH is very supportive and my parents live fairly near by.  I know my father would be able to come over at least 3 days a week and my mom might also be completing her PhD at the same university so she will be around too.  I think having a supportive family and a husband that's a team player can really make it possible (and ofcourse excellent time management!).  I won't be working fulltime, although I'll have some part time practicum and internship.  I appreciate your comments:)
  • Options
    I work full-time and I'm working on my Master's half time (our Masters is long - 60 credits). I finished all the painful core classes already, so now I just have to finish my electives and do a studio (3 semesters left). I took the fall semester off and I go back next semester. I was lucky to flex my time at work so I will take one class from 4-6:30 one day a week and take one class in executive format (only 1 full week of class the whole semester). It is going to be really hard, but like you I am very organized and a hard worker, so I know I can do it. Honestly I just want to hurry up and finish so I can move ahead with my career, life, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"