Detroit Babies
Options

Question re: Cord Blood Banking at Beaumont

I will be delivering at Beaumont in Royal Oak in late April / early May. Do they provide you with information about banking your LO's cord blood for future use should you need it, or should I come prepared with my own information about what bank I want to use? TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question re: Cord Blood Banking at Beaumont

• Options
    I delivered at Troy Beaumont and didn't bank cord blood, but my OB did provide me with information and said she would handle it if we had wanted to do so.
    Come chat with other moms: www.metrodetroitmommy.com!
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure you need to know what company you want to use before you get to the hospital.  We didn't do it, but I think I remember my OB saying I would have to handle it myself, the OB/hospital just sends it off to the bank.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You need to come prepared with all your info for that!  RO does not take care or do anything to help in banking. So make sure you have all the details for what to do or they will not know what to do. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We just finished our childbirth class and she said that if you want your cord blood banked for you that you need to contact them and bring the collection kit with you as RO Beaumont doesn't have anything on hand. She said most people go with CBR or ViaCord.

RO Beaumont also has a thing called the BioBank that you can donate your cord blood to research there but it isn't saved for you at all it is just donated.

FINALLY! My Reviews

• Options
    imagewpw08:

We just finished our childbirth class and she said that if you want your cord blood banked for you that you need to contact them and bring the collection kit with you as RO Beaumont doesn't have anything on hand. She said most people go with CBR or ViaCord.

RO Beaumont also has a thing called the BioBank that you can donate your cord blood to research there but it isn't saved for you at all it is just donated.

This. We delivered at RO Beaumont in Dec. and we banked with ViaCord. ViaCord is involved in ongoing/continuing research involving cord blood in addition to just storing it which is why we liked them. We contacted ViaCord I think at least a month in advance to sign up and get our collection kit sent to us (it didn't take a month to come though). It all comes packaged in a box and you just take that to the hospital with you so your OB has all the necessary equipment when he/she goes to collect it. Then you contact the cord bank and let them know you delivered and they will actually have someone come pick it up from the hospital. 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    edited June 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"