May 2014 Moms
Options

Dumb, buuuut....

Do I need to sterilize equipment after every pumping session?

If I thoroughly rinse the pump after a session, it's good, yes?

Obviously it needs to e sterilized after a few times, and at least once a day, but I'm wearing myself out constantly sterilizing....

Re: Dumb, buuuut....

• Options
    Just rinsing thoroughly most of the time and then washing a couple of times a day with soap and warm water is sufficient. I only sterilize once, maybe twice a week.

As PP said, keeping pump parts in the fridge between uses can extend the time between major cleanings.

But use good judgment. Obviously you want to wash if the parts get noticeably dirty or smell spoiled.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Keeping in the fridge makes a lot of sense.....
  • Options
    XathXath member
    Just to clarify, you're not doing anything to the actual pump, right?
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member
    Like PP said just keep in the fridge between pumps and wash at the end of the day. I only sanatized when I first bought the parts and if LO had anything iffy (thrush, etc.)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Just to clarify, you're not doing anything to the actual pump, right?

Correct- I guess I should have stated the horn and plastic parts.
  • Options
    I have a set of spare parts, I use one set all day, storing in the fridge between, then I switch to the other parts while those are washing. Having an extra set is a lifesaver.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Are you rinsing then putting in the fridge wet? Or do you dry them off? Does it matter?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Are you rinsing then putting in the fridge wet? Or do you dry them off? Does it matter?

I don't rinse, just put then right in the fridge in a plastic bag. Not sure if it matters but that's how I've been doing it for weeks!
  • Options
    I rinse with hot water immediately after use, and wash with mild soap every few uses. I pump occasionally as I'm still mostly BF. I let parts air dry on the rack. I have not sterilized in several uses.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member
    I agree that extra parts are a must. .. and will add if you are going back to work and pumping get a set of spare parts to keep at work. I can't tell you how many times I forgot my pump horns at home, but it only took one time of this to bring an extra set to work.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jmcdyer said:

I rinse with hot water immediately after use, and wash with mild soap every few uses. I pump occasionally as I'm still mostly BF. I let parts air dry on the rack. I have not sterilized in several uses.

Samesies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"