October 2012 Moms
Options

Reacting to Parents

wesleycrusherwesleycrusher member
edited June 2014 in October 2012 Moms
Does your LO react differently to you vs your spouse when disciplining them?

I SAH so am with DD all day- so most of her behaviors (scratching, tantrums, whatever) are dealt with by me.  I feel like she tunes me out, I stay consistent but it just seems non-stop.  She's a total "daddy's girl" and since DH isn't with her all day overall he disciplines her waaaay less.  So if he does correct a behavior, even just saying "stop" in a firm voice, she'll get really emotional and start to cry (and thus usually stop whatever it was she had been doing).  If I say "stop" it seems to have no effect! Probably because she hears it from me way more often. 

Anyone else dealing with this?

Re: Reacting to Parents

• Options
    He ignores both of us as well

• Options
    She definitely tantrums more for her dad than me. And listens better for me. If I tell her no, she might listen. If dad tells her no, it's tears.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Does your LO react differently to you vs your spouse when disciplining them?

I SAH so am with DD all day- so most of her behaviors (scratching, tantrums, whatever) are dealt with by me.  I feel like she tunes me out, I stay consistent but it just seems non-stop.  She's a total "daddy's girl" and since DH isn't with her all day overall he disciplines her waaaay less.  So if he does correct a behavior, even just saying "stop" in a firm voice, she'll get really emotional and start to cry (and thus usually stop whatever it was she had been doing).  If I say "stop" it seems to have no effect! Probably because she hears it from me way more often. 

Anyone else dealing with this?
    Interesting! It's almost the reverse here - even though I also SAH.

When I discipline DS, he tantrums or cries right away.  Many times it 's not even a "discipline" - my mere suggestion of something he doesn't want to do (eg, change diaper, eat lunch, go inside etc), is enough to elicit a whiny cry or full blown throw-yourself-on-the-ground tantrum.

For DH, when he does the same thing, DS pretty much just ignores him.

I think DS knows that DH is a softie, whereas he knows MAMA means business!  
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    pb_bride said:

I think DS knows that DH is a softie, whereas he knows MAMA means business!  
    My DH is the softie, too, so I think it makes more of an impact on her when he does say/do anything! funny that it's opposite. 
  • Options
    She listens really well when we tell her no for most things. But certain situations where I tried to be really firm (ex. hitting, throwing food on the floor, grabbing the dog's tail)... now she just laughs at me when I tell her no because I think she likes seeing me get mad. Not really sure how to handle that.

Instant tears and running to mommy if Daddy scolds her. Even me going into another room and leaving her with DH doesn't go over well lately though. 
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"