May 2014 Moms

ravenous 2 week old? how much formula does your LO eat?

DD is 16 days old now and has been on straight formula since 1 week old. When she was nursing she wanted to eat all daylong and now on formula I feel like she eats too much!

She eats 4oz at least every 3 hours, sometimes more often (if it's more frequently, it's usually just another 2 or 3oz). It's been like this since she started on formula at 1 week. DD1 didn't eat like that until 4 months old and they are the same size so far.

She's on gentlease because it was recommended for the switch from BF... does anyone know if it could just be going through her faster since its partially broken down already?

How much formula does/did your LO take at 1-2 weeks?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: ravenous 2 week old? how much formula does your LO eat?

• This is my Lo exactly. I nursed for a week and switched to formula. He eats constantly just like you described. He is 3 weeks and at most sleeps for 3 hour stretches and wakes up so hungry again. It's exhausting!!
  • Yep, this is pretty much exactly how my LO is. About 4oz every 3hrs. As long as she's not spitting up too much you should be okay.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is exactly how DS is. We switched to FF after a little over a week, he eats 4 oz at each feeding, sometimes they are 2 hours apart which seems like so much to me,...but he is hungry so we feed him. He does have one really long stretch each night after his last bottle, usually between 4-5 hours. But during the day, between 2-3 hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• He takes between 2-4 oz every 2-3 hours each day. Pedi said he's doing well and that's what she wants to see. DS is two weeks today.

• I'm also using gentlease, and he is taking 3.5-4.5oz every 3-4hrs. He is a month old (today!) but he has been taking that much since we got home from the hospital.
  • 2-8 oz depending on how she's feeling, if she spits up, etc.
    She's only waking up once at night, which is nice.
    She'll eat smaller meals if she needs a quick fix to get back to napping but if something is REALLY bothering her (like her brother, for instance) she will eat slower and consume more over a longer period of time to help soothe her. I have had to stop her in these "panic feeds" and give her a pacifier to stop her from guzzling, but she'll either indicate if she's still hungry or if the pacifier will suffice pretty quick.

I dunno, I think we all have kids who are learning to appreciate meal times. Hopefully this will keep up into the later years. ;)

• 3, sometimes 4 oz every 2-3 hours. If he eats slow, IE takes an hour to eat 2 oz, he may take another 2-3 oz within an hour or so. I just feed him on demand and if he spits up, he's had too much.
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"