November 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone else short on space for the new baby?

I always envisioned setting up a nursery someday, but only have 3 bedrooms and my two SSs have their own rooms. *Sigh*. Our bedroom is not that big, but decided we'll make the best of it. I have my little office in my side of the closet and we plan to give my youngest SS my office desk and put the baby's dresser in the closet. We plan to buy a crib with a changing table attached and put the crib next to our bed. I may be losing an actual nursery, but at least we can do some rearranging. Any project is fine with me. Baby and I will be sharing closet space. We intend not to buy too much stuff for the first year. Hopefully we'll be able to move to a bigger place or my older SS moves out cause he's old enough now. DH doesn't think it's healthy for the baby to share a bedroom with us for too long. On the bright side I won't have to walk too far to get her in the middle of the night :) How are you guys coping if you're short on space?
BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFruit Ticker image image

Re: Anyone else short on space for the new baby?

• Options
    mb314mb314 member
    edited June 2014

With DS, we were in a tiny rental house, where we could barely fit a small cradle, a changing table and a dresser in our room for DS.  We made do, and it was actually fairly convenient to have DS so close for his first 9 months. 

We're now in a bigger house, but #2 will still be in our room for the first several months for convenience sake.  He and DS will eventually share a room, but it could be a year before we have them both sleeping in there. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I think there is also some convenience in having the baby in our room, just to cut down on the walking to and from the rooms. In one more year we may have extra space. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We only have a 2 bedroom house and DD is in the other room. We are in the process of renovation our house, selling and buying. We have no where else to put the baby otherwise.
  • Options
    Yep! Baby #2 will not get a nursery because DS lives in the other room in our 2 bedroom house.  It really isn't a big deal to me.  When Baby #2 starts sleeping through the night he will share DS's room and we could probably have a third baby in this house before we have to move.  We bedshared with DS till 9 months and will most likely do the same with this one.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options

We are currently in a 3br rental, SS has one room and the other is an office that needs to stay due to DH working from home a lot.  We're hoping to move in the next few months but if nothing becomes available then LO will be in with us for longer than we expected. I'm kind of bummed at the potential of not being able to set up a nursery.  :(

• Options
    We have a tiny home, so we have decided to pass on the nursery this time. We set one up for our daughter and never even used it-- when I did go in there to nurse every once in awhile it seemed weird to be away from my husband and in a room we never really used. We recently converted the little room into a family tv/ storage/ pantry room (I'm a big baker/ crafter and needed more storage). We used our other bedroom as a playroom/ bedroom for our daughter, so that only leaves our bedroom. We used the infant sleeper/ rocker with our daughter until she was about 6 months and that is tiny and compact. We figure we have a few years before we need to worry about creating another bedroom for dd #2 :) (our almost 3 year old is just starting to sleep in her own room)
  • Options
    We are currently in a small place, too.  2 BR... one for us and the baby, the other for my daughter.  We live in a very HCOL city and it is taking a while to get ready to buy a house that is 7 freaking figures.  (But next year we will be buying if all continues to go well.)

We will probably use a snuggle nest for the first few months.  And a crib will fit in our room if we move my dressing table somewhere.  Not ideal, but whatever.  You do what you have to do.  It's worth it to be able to live in this awesome city.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    No nursery for us either.. We live in a 1 BR rental and our lease is up right before the baby is due so no moving for us.  If we wanted a 2BR in our complex before then the idgits consider that breaking our lease so we would have to pay that plus security again on the new place...it's not like they are losing our $$$... so we'll have to move our bedroom around to fit the crib in there...we'll prob wait on that and just have munchkin in a basinett to sleep in at the beginning.  I just told DH we have to move things around to see what we can actually fit furn wise for the baby.
    ~Nov14 Moms November Siggy Challenge: CELEBRATION!! ~

Anniversary

• Options
    We live in a little post-war house that has small rooms, so although baby will have a bedroom I'm more worried about where I'm going to put all the other "stuff". So far I've been registering for all the smaller versions of things that I've found. I found a "slim" high chair and a collapsible bathtub and a swing that doubles as a bouncy seat. I'm also trying to limit the amount of stuff we have so that it doesn't take over. People raised many children in these little post-war houses without all the baby crap we have now so I can do it.
  • Options
    We only have a 2 bedroom, so the baby will be in our room for as long as we can manage. I cleared out some closet space and used a couple 3-drawer plastic storage compartments for baby clothes. We don't have room for a crib, so we will just use the Pack n' Play, which has an attached changing pad. We also have a thicker playard mattress that we will use because the pad that came with the playard is horrible.
  • Options
    I'm in a cramped little one bedroom now but luckily my lease is up in August and I got put first on the waiting list for a two bedroom two bathroom ($150 more a month than my one bedroom/one bath) and small one opened up in the building across from me for the middle of August.  This place was great to move into because they give discounts to teachers and I didn't pay an application fee, deposit, nothing and got 300 off the first months rent . . . so I don't have to re-up anything to move.  Just gotta find the people to help me move!  It will be good for now until I get in a place where I can buy a house (several years from now, lol).
    Connor Graham

• Options
    I also was wondering why your ss's can't share a room. Obviously I don't know your situation, but my SILs shared a room always and they were 6 years apart. I don't want to judge your situation, I'm legitimately curious.

We live in a 2 bed, 1 (jack and jill) bath 1100 sq ft house. Had dd in a 700 sq ft apartment with a nook for a nursery. I'm more nervous for #2 that we really don't have much storage so hopefully we will use our spaces wisely. I would love a third bedroom, but I know we don't need it.

Also, I have a friend who has 4 kids in a 2 bedroom home about the same size as mine. It's never been ideal but they make it work. She now has a surprise 5th on the way (she thought she was starting menopause at 30 she was so convinced she wasn't pregnant) and they are renovating the house to add a third bedroom. If they can make it work, any of us can too.
  • Options
    With DS, I had a nursery. ...and he never used it. He was in a cradle next to our bed until he didn't fit in it anymore and I was forced to use his crib in the nursery (at which point we slept on a futon next to his crib for a few weeks as well...I know, I know. ....first baby syndrome I guess). This time we'll be putting the crib in our room for probably the first 8 months - year and after that we will transition him into his room.
  • Options
    We have a one bedroom apartment so we will also be short on space. Baby will be in our room and hopefully we will move next spring! I've been going through our stuff to get rid of and/or consolidate as much as possible, but all of our storage areas are already overflowing. It will be interesting!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Would love if SS's could share a room, but they are 10 years apart and I doubt the oldest would love the transition. With a new baby on the way I would hate to start drama by suggesting such a change. later, I'm sure the oldest will eventually move and we'll have space for the baby when he/she is older. I don't mind siblings sharing rooms (I had to) but only if the situation were different.
  • Options
    Yep and it's a headache! Will have 4 kids and us in a small 2 bedroom house. 1 bathroom as well!!!! Me and DH are in basement boys are in 1 room. Girl in other. Won't know till next week what we are having. I'm not freaking out yet though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options

We live in a little post-war house that has small rooms, so although baby will have a bedroom I'm more worried about where I'm going to put all the other "stuff". So far I've been registering for all the smaller versions of things that I've found. I found a "slim" high chair and a collapsible bathtub and a swing that doubles as a bouncy seat. I'm also trying to limit the amount of stuff we have so that it doesn't take over. People raised many children in these little post-war houses without all the baby crap we have now so I can do it.

@AnnieRoo13‌ out of curiosity, what swing/bouncer did you pick? I'm torn on these as I've heard some babies hate them and I don't want anything to just sit and be a waste of money.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @AnnieRoo13‌ out of curiosity, what swing/bouncer did you pick? I'm torn on these as I've heard some babies hate them and I don't want anything to just sit and be a waste of money.

I was torn on this too. I know some babies love the swing and some hate it, but I figured that having this swing/bouncer combo would be a safer bet as the baby has to like either the swing or the bouncer, right??? 

I picked this one: https://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=28424706&fromRegistryNumber=61157222&product_skn=703726&prodFindSrc=registry

It's the Graco Glider Elite Gliding Swing- Brompton in case the link doesn't work (I'm in Canada). I also like the fact that it uses batteries or it plugs into the wall.

• Options
    Thanks! I'll have to check it out!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    aa98aa98 member
    We have a small 2 bed apartment in a city with NO closet/storage space and tiny rooms so DH and I are pretty cramped as it is  (most of our clothes are in under bed storage and in the 2nd bedroom closet) with that room being used as an office with futon for guests.  I think we'll move the futon out into the main room (which is already cramped-don't even have a breakfast table) and try to fit a small crib and dresser/changing table combo in the office.  I would love to share our room with the little one, but DH and I can barely walk in there now!  We have a lot of cleaning out to do.  

@moroccojade-we are in the same situation, we want to buy a bigger 2 Br condo, but it's 7 figures..sigh... still we don't want to make the move to the 'burbs... 

@AeandJb-I was going to order some decals off amazon to decorate.  The "nursery" will be a combined space so we are going to get a small area rug and do 2 of the walls in decals to define the space so no repainting when we move.   Maybe that could work as a compromise for you?

BabyFruit Ticker

Our first!!!

• Options

@moroccojade-we are in the same situation, we want to buy a bigger 2 Br condo, but it's 7 figures..sigh... still we don't want to make the move to the 'burbs... 

@aa98 - yeah.  I am not so interested in living too far out of the city, either.  Although we will have to move a bit further out as we can't afford $2.8M++. 

Fortunately, we can still get condos here for under a million.  But you end up paying a lot in strata fees.  I would rather take that money and put it toward our mortgage on an actual detached house.  So hence...  we wait another year.
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    aa98aa98 member

@aa98 - yeah.  I am not so interested in living too far out of the city, either.  Although we will have to move a bit further out as we can't afford $2.8M++. 

Fortunately, we can still get condos here for under a million.  But you end up paying a lot in strata fees.  I would rather take that money and put it toward our mortgage on an actual detached house.  So hence...  we wait another year.
    @moroccojade-Yeah, I have a feeling once the LO is here and we are in the reality of the situation, our views will change.  Totally agree about the condo/strata fees, for some of these places it's $1500/mo!  That's like a mortgage all on its own (and you get no equity!).  Good luck with the hunt, I hope you have more luck than we did :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Our first!!!

• Options
    @aa98

We lived right downtown when our daughter was born. (Just renting, but 5 minutes to the beach, and the same to shopping, restaurants, etc, etc.)  It was great....  until she started walking!  lol.  

We moved to a residential area a 10 minute drive from downtown when she was 20 months.  It got her into an amazing school...   but yeah.  That is where houses (fixer uppers and tear downs) start at close to $3M.  Not going to happen.  So yes, we are going to have to move a bit further out to buy a house that is in our price range.  I would hate to take her out of her school, but she agrees that buying our own house would be nice. 

Enjoy where you live for as long as you can!  But yes - space, safety and schools might factor into your future considerations....  ;)
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    Would love if SS's could share a room, but they are 10 years apart and I doubt the oldest would love the transition. With a new baby on the way I would hate to start drama by suggesting such a change. later, I'm sure the oldest will eventually move and we'll have space for the baby when he/she is older. I don't mind siblings sharing rooms (I had to) but only if the situation were different.
    I think he needs to suck it up and deal, personally. I shared a room with my brother (11 years younger) for a year because it had to be done. If he's so concerned with privacy and wanting his own space he can get an apartment. Until then, he can sleep wherever you let him since he doesn't pay the mortgage.
    That's what I keep thinking to myself. We really don't need to move because our home is nice and we're in the process of fixing up and rearranging. SS-1 is going to be 20 years old and frankly it would be nice if he got more ambitious and worked harder to move out, but he's scared of changes and still think he's too young to be working hard. *Sigh* (that's a whole other story). The baby will be sleeping with us and hopefully in another year he/she can have her own room.
  • Options
    jlove253jlove253 member
    edited June 2014

I think he needs to suck it up and deal, personally. I shared a room with my brother (11 years younger) for a year because it had to be done.
    If he's so concerned with privacy and wanting his own space he can get an apartment. Until then, he can sleep wherever you let him since he doesn't pay the mortgage.

That's what I keep thinking to myself. We really don't need to move because our home is nice and we're in the process of fixing up and rearranging. SS-1 is going to be 20 years old and frankly it would be nice if he got more ambitious and worked harder to move out, but he's scared of changes and still think he's too young to be working hard. *Sigh* (that's a whole other story). The baby will be sleeping with us and hopefully in another year he/she can have her own room.

------------quote fail------------
    You do what is best for your family, but SS1 can definitely deal with the consequences. I understand the fine line you walk as a step mom though (I have a great one). That being said I also had to share a room with my little brother when I was 18 and he was 12. It wasn't fun in the sense that I didn't have as much privacy as I would like, but it was actually a good bonding year for us.
  • Options
    20 years old, lives at home, doesn't work hard. Definitely does NOT get a say in the matter. If he doesn't like the situation, he can move out.

That said, I've read docs are recommending babies stay with parents for at least a few months. So you could give him his "one-year warning" - in 12 months (or however long it would be - I was estimating), he needs to be moved out or he gets to share a room. I think that's more than fair. And dad should be the one to tell him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"