Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Transition in Eating Schedule - Complicated due to diagnosis - Need experienced thoughts =)

Our son Liam was diagnosed with a rare syndrome that affects his muscle tone and causes him to be slightly delayed in meeting his milestones. I have a love/hate relationship with milestones bc it seems to be the 1st thing that comes up in discussion with EVERY new mother but for us, when Liam achieves one, his daddy and I want to throw a party and celebrate!

Alrighty - onto the point of my post. Despite Li's diagnosis, he's doing amazing and has been a champ with his food. He's 21 lbs and 10 months old and really puts it away. I'm trying to transition him to a few SUPER soft finger foods which isn't going over so well. As part of his diagnosis, he has to be supplemented with SOY formula with breastmilk. His body doesn't know how to entirely break down full blown breast milk. So when he turns a year, is there something out there besides cow's milk that we can give him such as a safe soy-based milk for babies? Also, can you all help us by giving an example of what a 1 year old's meal plan looks like throughout the day?? We are SO used to the bottle and pureed babyfood routine!

I know that's a lot. Sorry! Thanks in advance for the advice!

Mrs. Lotz

Re: Transition in Eating Schedule - Complicated due to diagnosis - Need experienced thoughts =)

• Options
    KellyScott04KellyScott04 member
    edited June 2014

So in Liam's case, breast milk  or any milk is not easier for him to digest. His digestive system has issues breaking down the proteins/sugars. It's not completely harmful to him and our Dr said to give him BM for the nutrion but supplement with soy formula. It's just what works for him due to his diagnosis. So I was wondering if there is a comparison to soy formula at the 12 month mark. I.e BF babies go from BM to whole milk so my DS would go from soy formula to......?

Also, he can eat almost any food. There's no issues there as of yet. So what I was looking for was a breakdown in a 1 year old's food schedule to include solid foods. How much and when? Portion size? How much milk?

Mrs. Lotz
  • Options
    My one year old is on all table food and milk.  If he wakes up starving he gets milk right away.  Otherwise he gets milk with his breakfast.  He'll eat eggs & sausage, waffles with fruit, yogurt, cereal, pancakes.  He has a sippy with milk or water with a snack - fruit, hummus, crackers, etc.  Lunch is so varied - quesadillas, grilled cheese, pasta, fish sticks, sandwiches (with milk).  Another snack in the PM same as the morning.  Dinner is milk again and whatever we're having with the addition of some other veggies/fruit depending on how his day has gone, foodwise.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kids eat what we eat when we eat it. If they would like a snack there's a variety of cut up fruits, veggies and cheeses in the fridge to pull out. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member
    Here's a sample day for our LO who is 12.5 months old:

-Breakfast: Blueberry whole-wheat pancakes with two strawberries
    -Snack: 1/2 pear
    -Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, fresh peaches 
    (I would like to have a veggie here too, but he usually only eats hot veggies, which doesn't really work at daycare.)
    -Snack: cubed cheese
    -Dinner: Chicken cacciatore (chicken, peppers, onions, tomato sauce) and linguine

He also drinks 16-24 ounces of whole cow's milk, usually with his meals, as well as water throughout the day.
  • Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member

So what I was looking for was a breakdown in a 1 year old's food schedule to include solid foods. How much and when? Portion size? How much milk?

Three meals and two snacks.  

We typically do breakfast around 7, lunch around 12, and dinner around 5 or 6. The snacks are sometime between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner.

Portion size--start out small and add more if the baby still seems hungry.  The baby will let you know when he or she is full by turning away from his/her food, throwing it on the ground, and/or squirming/whining to get out of the high chair.  You will quickly learn how much your baby typically eats.

Milk--most pedis recommend no less than 16 ounces and no more than 24 ounces.
  • Options
    DS has an appointment with an allergist on Monday. I'm hoping they can help me with what I can/cannot feed him and what he can drink when he weans from breastmilk. He is MSPI and appears to have a nut allergy that includes coconut, oat and egg allergy. That only leaves rice milk. I would think that if you give soy formula you could wean with soy milk. My DN was weaned to soy milk. But I would certainly ask your pedi.  good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"