January 2015 Moms

Travel Systems

So I am really excited and already started researching car seats and travel systems, I personally like the Chicco Cortina Key Fit 30 but I don't like how heavy the stroller that goes in the travel system is.  The stroller shipping weight is roughly 26 lbs.  Obviously you get a discounted price when buying it as the system.  But I like the Chicco Liteway Plus Stroller - it still has the ability to accommodate an infant car seat and although it doesn't have all those extra cup holders and such is 8 lbs lighter.  Has anyone else looked into the Lighter Weight strollers instead of doing the travel system? What are your opinions on the Chicco also?
D14 - Free For All
In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

Re: Travel Systems

• I love the Chicco Key Fit for an infant seat...but do not like the stroller one bit.  We (both the husband and I) love the maneuverability of the Britax B-Agile...and how lightweight it is.  For that reason alone we are leaning towards the Britax B-Safe carseat...if only I could have the KeyFit car seat and the Britax B-agile stroller, I'd be one happy cammper!  But we went test driving all kinds of varieties last weekend...peg perego, city mini, bob...you name it and we still loved the Britax B-Agile the most.  My friends that got the Chicco Key Fit just purchased a "Snap and Go" base for the car seat instead of the travel system...and then bought a different stroller once the baby was in a convertible seat and it worked great for them.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Pips09Pips09 member
    We have the Chicco travel system, and the stroller is pretty heavy and unwieldy. I think that all the travel system strollers are like that. We used it for about a year, and then bought a City Mini GT. I love the City Mini. It's so much easier to use. I plan to use that with an adapter for the infant seat this time around.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • tarynlphillips

I really like this website for reviews and helping me make choices on baby basics:
  • I was really turned off by the travel systems. They all looked so bulky! I have a small car (beetle) so I needed a stroller that would collapse down really compact. I went with a city mini stroller and a graco infant car seat. I had to get an adapter to be able to use the two together, but they worked great. The city mini is great for at the park and on sidewalks, which is mostly where we walk.

When picking a stoller you want to think about where you're going to use it. If you mainly plan on going to the mall, stores, and other smooth areas any stoller will probably do. If you're going to go to the park where there's grass, gravel, paved paths, or bumpy sidewalks you probably want an all terrain stroller. Just something to think about.
    photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • I really like the fact that the Chicco Liteway Plus can still fit the infant seat - I am due January 1 so I think the Liteway would be more convenient for traveling in the summer when I feel like it would be used the most.
    D14 - Free For All

• I have a graco system so I can't comment on Chico.... But, I just wanted to say that I love the extra cup holders. The extra 8lbs is worth it to me... I use it for malls, zoos, museums, city strolling... So I like that dh and DS and I all get to have a cup holder ... So for me the extra bulk is worth it... Will you see yourself using the stroller like this?

I have an umbrella stroller that I rarely use bc I miss the cup holders, and a jogger that is really bulky. My fav of the three is my travel system.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP 1: 9/19/11 , DS born 5/28/12 @ 41 weeks

BFP 2: 11/8/13, NMC 11/27/13 @ 8w4d, we love you sweet baby!
    BFP 3: 5/16/14 Stick, sweet little one!
  • I have no idea, I have a cheap Graco travel system and it sucks. I would strongly suggest, if you can, go to stores and try out everything you can in person. It was SO hard to browse online because I really didn't have a feel for how it would be in person.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • mmookimmooki member

We didn't do a travel system last time and won't this time.  We have a baby trend infant seat that we used with DD and will use again with this one.  I then had a frame stroller that I used with the infant seat.  Very light, could open it and close with one hand. 

I also got a jogging stroller that my infant seat could clip into.  When DD outgrew the infant seat, we used the jogging stroller.

Then last summer we went to Disney and ended up with the Chicco lightaway plus, I think it was...  either way, great stroller! 

BabyFetus Ticker

• This is the Chicco Liteway Plus
    D14 - Free For All

• mom2casemom2case member
    edited June 2014
    I'm not a fan of travel systems.  Choose a stroller you love and choose a car seat you love.  We had a car seat frame stroller for the short time that you want to keep the baby in the car seat for strolls.  The stroller we loved/chose was a Maclaren XLT Techno.  It has a bar so that you can make it in to a travel system but we never did it.  When DD was about 18 months old, I bought a bugaboo on Craigslist and LOVE it.  If you're planning to have more children, I would highly recommend that you get a stroller than can accommodate two kids to begin with.  I lust after the baby jogger city select.  The phil and teds with the jump seat is a good option as well. 
    imageimage

"Beanie" Natural 7w MC 11/21/12

"Nole" stopped growing at 7w3d D&E 2/11/13

Diagnosed with MTHFR and Factor V Leiden on 4/3/13

Due with RAINBOW GIRL 2/10/15

• I agree with PP about not being a fan of travel systems. My favorite stroller (and I've tried many) is hands down the BOB revolution. I am planning to upgrade to a double this time.
    I have a peg perego prima viaggio carseat in paloma which I think is gorgeous. I am more of a baby wearer, so I would rarely lug the carseat around. 
  • I also recommend reading all the amazon reviews before you buy. That way you can anticipate and avoid common problems.
  • I hated my travel system.  Hated it. 

we only used the stroller until LO was able to sit in the stroller normally.  Then we switched to a jogging stroller which we used for a long time.  Then we switched to a nice umbrella stroller (chicco echo), which we still use on occasion.  (It was fantastic at Disney World)

This time around- we will use a car seat with a snap and go I found for cheap on craigslist, then then jogger then then the umbrella. 

Travel systems are a waste IMO.  The average person goes through 3-4 different strollers while their kid is little.   So instead of spending a fortune on a system, get the carseat you want and then fill in with strollers as you need them.    Craigslist is great too.  So if you are hell bent on having a stroller for your carseat, look on there.  You can get one that is practically brand new for a fraction of the price you would pay in the store for a new system.  

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• StargirlbStargirlb member
    edited June 2014
    We have a nice maclaren umbrella stroller that we use for quick trips (after the baby can sit and hold head up) when the big BOB jogger isn't necessary. I will probably get a new one for this baby since having gone through two children mine isn't looking as good as new ;)
  • Yeah, I'm not into the whole travel system thing at all.  I had a big bulky stroller with my first and used it maybe 3 times.  I ended up getting a lightweight stroller that was easier to push, etc.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The Britax B Safe also fits in with a lightweight stroller aside from the Agile (I can't remember the name). A lot of the comments here are making me think about going the lighter route. Hmm.
  • jnedenjneden member
    We went with the Britax Travel System for our daughter and absolutely love it!!! We will reuse it for this baby now. Lighter is probably the way to go because you will take the stroller in and out of the car alot. Make sure its really easy to fold/unfold.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • efujanefujan member
    Another vote against the Chicco travel system.  LOVE the infant seat, but I totally agree that the stroller part is bulky (I can't fit much else in the back of my car when it's in there).  Do keep that in mind if you have a smaller vehicle.  We inherited an Inglesina Zippy stroller from a friend & now that we're out of the infant carrier, we use that one a lot more because it's way lighter & fits in the back of my car without taking up all the space!

If you're set on it, as a stroller, the Cortina does ride OK, it's fine at the zoo & the mall (I do like being able to toss a shopping bag or two underneath, because it does have a decent amount of space below), and I do like having the cupholders, but I have a feeling there are better, more compact strollers out there.

Myles was so pumped about the baby . . . until he figured out he'd have to share all his toys!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker>
  • We have the B safe, but we got the b ready stroller to go with it. I wish we had gone with the city select. We only use it for the mall, zoos, and theme parks. For everything else I wore DS, and he sits in the shopping cart now.
    imageimageimage
  • I don't have a system, I have the Phil and Ted's dash, buy I have to say two things I don't love about it. 1 the break requires two hands to deploy, so if you are holding your baby its impossible to take the brake off, for example if he is being clingy and wants to be held and the brake I'd on, forget it.

Also because the brake is in the handle, you cannot add a cup holder after market. Also I've been trying to adjust the handle height while strolling and deployed the brake, which is annoying.

I just feel fora $600 stroller its not perfect. That being said I only paid $300 (or rather mil did because she gave me the stroller for my birthday after I found a deal on it). It can accommodate two kids and that limited our choices.
  • Some PP commented about looking for these items on craigslist - while I generally do like to check out craigslist for certain items, I would rather go to a store for the infant seats and car seats. I am putting them on my registry and hoping my 3 sisters will chip together and possibly get them.  While they may be a better price through craigslist, I get nervous over how they were stored, if there were re-calls, if they were abused, and when their expiration date is (not many know that car seats do have these).  Sometimes not all wear and tear is visible.  This is just my personal preference.
    D14 - Free For All

• Some PP commented about looking for these items on craigslist - while I generally do like to check out craigslist for certain items, I would rather go to a store for the infant seats and car seats. I am putting them on my registry and hoping my 3 sisters will chip together and possibly get them.  While they may be a better price through craigslist, I get nervous over how they were stored, if there were re-calls, if they were abused, and when their expiration date is (not many know that car seats do have these).  Sometimes not all wear and tear is visible.  This is just my personal preference.

I commented on craigslist about strollers not carseats.  Strollers you can absolutely buy used.  Carseats, no.  Carseats should be bought new.

in my post, I said,get the car seat you want and then fill in with a stroller- which could be from craigslist.  There are beautiful chicco strollers which are basically brand new on craigslist for $50.  Which is a hell of a lot cheaper then buying a brand new system for $350...even when buying a new car seat and base.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I love Chicco, but will never buy a travel system. I had a hand-me-down stroller with the first two kids that worked fine with the different snug rides we had. I'm hoping to find an infant carrier this time that will also transition with any stroller like the click and go
  • I had a baby trend travel system and hated it, the stroller seemed so cheap and didn't maneuver very well. Also, DD hates car seats so she preferred being in the stroller. My friend gave me her Bob and there is just no comparison with the quality. I second pp opinions about finding both a stroller and a car seat you love and getting an adapter.
  • tripletoe said:
    I had a baby trend travel system and hated it, the stroller seemed so cheap and didn't maneuver very well. Also, DD hates car seats so she preferred being in the stroller. My friend gave me her Bob and there is just no comparison with the quality. I second pp opinions about finding both a stroller and a car seat you love and getting an adapter.
    I would love to have a Bob! Way too expensive for how much I want to pay. Especially since we are having to get everything again after finally getting rid of what we had the first time around

• 4roed4roed member
    I got the chicco keyfit carseat and liteway plus stroller for my son this past October. I did like the stroller and still love the car seat but I found my BOB stroller to be much easier to maneuver. However, for quick trips into stores I loved the liteway and the fact that I could click the car seat right on to it.
  • LittleMsLewisLittleMsLewis member
    edited June 2014
    I had the Chico cortina for DD, I'm 4'9" and had no problems maneuvering it or getting it in and out of my trunk! I also loved that the handle height was easily adjustable for dh and me. Travel systems have come a long way, even in the past 3 years. There are a LOT of new ones out there with shorter wheel bases (more compact), lightweight, and good quality. Even graco has finally come out of the dark ages and ditched their awkward, heavy designs. Something else I liked about the chicco, the padding felt much better than others we looked at. In particular, the side parts by the head and legs. For me that was most important!
    BFP 01/17/2014, Due 10/05/2014, MMC, we said goodbye 03/07/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • What I've always heard is buy the car seat and stroller separately, because the travel system stroller usually sucks.
  • I had the Chico cortina for DD, I'm 4'9" and had no problems maneuvering it or getting it in and out of my trunk! I also loved that the handle height was easily adjustable for dh and me. Travel systems have come a long way, even in the past 3 years. There are a LOT of new ones out there with shorter wheel bases (more compact), lightweight, and good quality. Even graco has finally come out of the dark ages and ditched their awkward, heavy designs. Something else I liked about the chicco, the padding felt much better than others we looked at. In particular, the side parts by the head and legs. For me that was most important!
    Height is a good point. My friends and I like different stroller because some are much easier to maneuver if you are shorter. I'm 5'11" and have a hard time finding ones with tall enough handles so I don't have to bend over to push them. (It's usually the more expensive ones)

• tripletoe said:

I had a baby trend travel system and hated it, the stroller seemed so cheap and didn't maneuver very well. Also, DD hates car seats so she preferred being in the stroller. My friend gave me her Bob and there is just no comparison with the quality. I second pp opinions about finding both a stroller and a car seat you love and getting an adapter.

I would love to have a Bob! Way too expensive for how much I want to pay. Especially since we are having to get everything again after finally getting rid of what we had the first time around

Have you considered a used on? I know I see lots in great condition on our local swap and shop sites. I think I will be looking into a used double Bob, if that's what I decide I want.
  • tripletoe said:

tripletoe said:

Have you considered a used on? I know I see lots in great condition on our local swap and shop sites. I think I will be looking into a used double Bob, if that's what I decide I want.

I am all for used, but the people around here either hang on to them or don't buy that nice of ones. I have yet to see a bob or phil&ted stroller at any of the shops within an hour of us. (That includes not being preggo and still looking "just in case" lol)
  • I did go look at Target at the Liteway Plus this weekend - I pulled it down off the shelf (it was way lighter than I expected).  The Target employee then helped me attach the infant seat and it was VERY easy. I was kind of excited.  The only down fall as I looked at the travel system is that it does have the tray for snacks or a sippy cup.  But I am probably going to go with these two options over the travel system.  I do realize it is more money doing them separately, but I am still naive enough to put them on my registry and hopefully use the coupon they send out if it doesn't get purchased off the registry.

D14 - Free For All

• kursemkursem member
    i swear by the book/website Baby Bargains, and chicco keyfit was their highest rated infant carseat, so we decided to go with that (we had graco last time and it was good too).  I found a Mom on a local facebook group who is selling a gently used one (seat, base, and stroller) for 100 bucks...and it doesn't expire until 2016.  So i'm going that route.  We want a Bob stroller, so that's going to be a big hit.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Love the infant seat!  But we didn't do the stroller.  We bought the Baby Jogger City Elite and got the attachment that allowed me to put the carseat on.  But honestly,  I'd go back and save that extra money.  I barely kept her in the infant seat while out.  I'm a big baby wearer and would highly recommend it to all new moms.  SO much easier than lugging a carseat around andplusalso, we are having winter babies, so this way you don't have to worry about the baby being warm enough in the seat; they'll have your body heat :)  We are probably upgrading to the Baby Jogger City Select for the double!   OH and for everyone talking about height, Baby Jogger handle bars can move… it's pretty awesome because DH is 6ft1in and I'm 5ft6in and we like our handle bars different!! 
                BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have only briefly looked at them at the Babies R Us near us. I think we are going to go with a more durable set. I got rid of the travel system stroller much too soon last time, and I won't be making that mistake this time. Those strollers are the bomb! LOL. We are pretty much waiting till we know if it's a boy or a girl to make any big purchases.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10 (born August 2004)
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2
    BFP: 05/17/2014 EDD: 1/25/15 MMC: 06/30/2014
    BFP: 01/31/15 MMC: 02/25/15 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"