Baby Names

Update RE:Honestly are these MN horrible?

Yeah they are just made up words. Why did I have to marry such a wierdo? DH really wanted Keld to be a first name, regardless of the gender. Some of his other suggestions were: Zimbabwe, a whole host of other stupid gaming names, And Autom (yes, like Autumn but spelled like this so he could call her "Auto"). No offense to anyone with the name, but I absolutely hate it, even though it was the only semi normal name he could come up with.

I prefer Lincoln to Linkin too. But the spelling was DH's choice. I want to name my first boy after my late grandfather, but we're having a girl so I have time to work on the boy name.

I think I'm just going to tell people Tredyn is an old family name. no one but his dorky friends ever has to know that the "family" is made up of online characters. LOL.

Re: Update RE:Honestly are these MN horrible?

• my god.image
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Is he not willing to compromise at all?  Your child is going to have this name for the rest of her life.  If you don't like it now, I'm pretty sure that you won't like it 10 years from now either.
  • Loading the player...
  • Is your DH not thinking of the child itself at all??? Tell him he can f!@$ with his own name all he wants, but he CAN'T do that to a child.
  • Your dh sounds like a real peach. He cares more about being sure to use his video game names then being sure they are names you both agree on. Not to mention the fact that your children will have to live with those names the rest of their lives. Awesome.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You might have to put your foot down with this one. Give DH some alternative choices that go well with Lila and let him choose from the list, that way he still has his say.

• I agree with PP - your husband needs to step away from the game and realize that real life is not whatever game he plays, and he is burdening his future child with a made up name. I would never, ever let dh do that. Then again he wouldn't choose to.

Out of curiousity, is your dh young? 

• Please don't take offense, but the names make it seem like he's a 15 yr. old about to be a father. Don't mention Nevaeh or he might just lock it in for a first name and seal the teenager deal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is he aware that you are giving birth to a living human being and not a gaming character? Tell him to lay off the games for a while!
  • lol. I would have just said, "wow - um, no." and that would have been the end of it. Tell him he can choose a regular name that has a history in gaming. Like Lara - from tomb raider, or something.
  • Since he really favors Keld, what about something like the Irish name Kellen?

Edit to add: Cayden, not exactly my style either, but it kind of mixes between Tredyn and Keld

• okay, seriously - ask your DH if he really thinks these names are appropriate for when the kid gets older and begins a professional career (assuming, of course, that that's what he/she will choose to do). ?could he REALLY see an executive named "linkin" or any of those hideous names he's pushing so stubbornly?

a name is a name, but in many cases it paves the way for making that oh-so-important first impression. ?i know i sure as hell would need some serious convincing to give a candidate named "keld" consideration for a management position.?

• He's 27, and no, he's not quite as mature as he should be for his age in this respect. But everyone has their vices. He's a good husband and he works hard so I try to indulge him in this dumb video game thing.

UGH. Now I'm all stressed out. You ladies make great points. I like original names, but these are just out there and it just embarasses me to have to explain them. At the same time he's so excited about them. He doesn't just like the origin of the names, he loves the way they sound. I don't want to crush him. I want him to have something about his kids name that makes him happy and sounds pleasing to his ear.

Just trying to figure out if I can avoid using them enough to live with them. Thanks for your honesty!

And LMAO at the Nevaeh comment. He wouldn't like it, but I can just imagine the type of person that would go nuts for it.

• I really love some unusual names (I honestly would name my son Badger if my family and DH would let me) but even I think those are all just terrible.  It's important that your DH like's his daughter's name, but it's equally important that his daughter doesn't feel like an outcast because of it.  I would just keep drilling into his head that it's a PERSON you're naming, not a pet fish.  (Because seriously, those are too bad to even use on a dog.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • They don't sound original, they don't sound cute, they sound exactly what they are, made up, and if he can't realize it then that is a problem.

If you don't like them (and I hope you don't) stand up for that. This is something you are giving this baby for life, and they will be horrified when they are old enough to understand what their name means.

• Your girl name isn't as bad as your boy name (which is awful).  The fact that her name will embarrass you says something, though.

What about doing a double middle name?  Sure it's uncommon, but I think that ship has already sailed.  Stick out tongue

My cousin's name is Samantha Elizabeth Principle Lastname.  Principle was at the insistence of the father.

I think a simple "Tredyn is a name that is special to her father" will suffice for an explanation.

• All I'm going to say is that I feel sorry for you and your child.
  • imageJoyGotDots:

Your girl name isn't as bad as your boy name (which is awful).  The fact that her name will embarrass you says something, though.

What about doing a double middle name?  Sure it's uncommon, but I think that ship has already sailed.  Stick out tongue

My cousin's name is Samantha Elizabeth Principle Lastname.  Principle was at the insistence of the father.

I think a simple "Tredyn is a name that is special to her father" will suffice for an explanation.

Hey! Thanks! That is a great idea. Then if she hates Tredyn she can just use the other MN on papers that require her to list it or drop it all together when she get married. You're a genius! ::skips off to find another name::

And I think Tredyn is way worse than Keld. At least Keld sounds like it could be a real name. Well, actually it is a real name in Sweden.

• Honestly? Yes. They are horrible.
  • imagejustgnat:

UGH. Now I'm all stressed out. You ladies make great points. I like original names, but these are just out there and it just embarasses me to have to explain them. At the same time he's so excited about them. He doesn't just like the origin of the names, he loves the way they sound. I don't want to crush him. I want him to have something about his kids name that makes him happy and sounds pleasing to his ear.

You would really be willing to give your children awful and embarassing names so that you don't hurt his feelings?!?

There has to be some unawful (yeah, I realize that's not a real word) names that he likes the sound of.  Sounds like all he's thinking about is himself. What about you? What about the kid for crying out loud!

I mean you have to lie about the origins of the names. Shouldn't that ring some bells?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It sounds like you married a child.  Tell him to grow up and pick a real name.
  • imagejustgnat:

He doesn't just like the origin of the names, he loves the way they sound. I don't want to crush him. I want him to have something about his kids name that makes him happy and sounds pleasing to his ear.

You said he liked the name Autom (it was actually HARD to even type that name it's so bad) - if he likes the sound, why NOT Autumn?  He can still call her Auto (an odd nn, but nns are nns).  Lila Autumn is actually lovely, though I prefer Autumn Lila.

edit - oops - sorry, just re-read that you hate Autumn. Scratch that then!

Elizabeth

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • I think it's one thing if you don't LOVE the name, and you compromise, but to be embaressed by it has got to say something to you.  DH & I would never settle on a name unless we loved it.  I think I could sway DH to pick a name that I loved if he just liked it, but if he hated it or was embaressed by it, I wouldn't even consider it.  I honestly can't believe your DH would be trying to push names on you after you tell him your embaressed by them.

Either way, good luck.  My advice: agree on his name and when he leaves the room in the hospital, secretly fill out the birth certificate with a name you love.  Ha! Stick out tongue 

BabyFetus Ticker

• We all have interests. ?Some of us are really into our interests to an extreme degree. ?But your daughter will still be special to him if she doesn't have one of his preferred names, and those names will still be special to him if he doesn't use them for your daughter. ?He needs to separate the two ideas. ?Get pets and let him name them all the wacky things that he wants. ?I have been heavily involved in some fandoms in the past...that does not mean that my husband would entertain the idea of me naming our child after any of the characters involved.

I like the idea of saying it's special to him....if you say it's a family name, what is your family going to say?!?!? ?They are going to be the main ones asking, after all. ?I don't think your own families are going to be fooled by that one, and unless your husband is super sneaky about his nerdiness, they will probably figure it out.?

A double middle name is a good compromise if you feel that his spirit will be absolutely and irrevocably crushed (which is its own problem). ?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • imageKimbaleeZay:
    Either way, good luck.  My advice: agree on his name and when he leaves the room in the hospital, secretly fill out the birth certificate with a name you love.  Ha! Stick out tongue 

LOL. I thought of that. But I love him too much to do something that mean. I'm sure we'll figure it out. I think I might have a suggestion he'll go for...fingers crossed.

• cranberry27, that is very well put.
  • Um, Everquest is second only to WOW in players, correct? It's been around forever and isn't likely to let up soon. There is no way in hell your kid will manage to get through 17 years (upon which he can legally change the name) without someone other than daddy's friends knowing where his name came from. "Old family name" isn't going to fly when he gets to school and someone in his class happens to mention that he knows that character from a game.?

My husband also wants to name our son (if it's a boy) after a beloved game character. The difference is, the name he's chosen IS a name. It's not popular, but it in no way sounds made up.?

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

• Yikes.

Decide what you are going to put your foot down on and draw that line in the sand.

Keld sounds too much like "geld" which has something to do with catstrating. Tell your husband that and see what he thinks.

I like Tredyn. That is a cool name.

As a high school teacher I have seen it ALL with names. There is a thin line between unique and weird. Unique is good. Weird causes emotional scaring.
    Good luck. 

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with the other posters. You really need to put your foot down on these and tell your husband you need to go with some normal names.
  • Please, please, for the love of all that is holy, do not give your poor child one of these names. Hurting your husband's feelings is far less important than doing this to an innocent baby. She is the one who has to live with this her entire life, knowing she was named after a video game character. And seriously, THAT'S what's meaningful to him?? Not a family name, not a cherished best friend, a computer game character????
    "I
  • I would seriously buy a book of baby names and say that whatever name you choose must be in there. As in, an actual name. DH loves football but he has yet to suggest we name our child Farve or something. I think it's horrible to consider naming your child something that will be so embarassing, will require explaining and as pp said, that you're embarassed of. I mean, DH and I have slightly different taste in name but none of our DC will have names that embarass either of us. I would try to research name origins and sounds, and come up with some that sound similar or remind your DH of his precious computer games without actually being those words. I also agree at the insanity of placing such importance on gaming that he's willing to overlook his wife and child's interests just to use a silly name.

PS. If you ever name a boy Linkin, there are few people that won't immediatley think "Park?"

• A name should be something you both like and agree on, as tough as that may be.

Hopefully you will come to a compromise that you both feel comfortable with!

• I hope this is mud.  Does he realize that naming a child is serious and important?  It's not like naming a dog.  The child will have the name his or her whole life.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"