Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Any experience with Roseola?

DD has been at the doctors office three times this week. started off with goopy eyes and tugging ears so we went in and she had ear infection and pink eye. Got antibiotics and started those. About 36 hours later she started getting a fever, totally lethargic, bad cough , vomiting and diarrhea We went back in and they gave us breathig treatment for the cough and we started Motrin. dr said come back if not better in 4 days, it wasn't so we went back. The fever kept getting higher and I was worried about her not eating and getting dehydrated. The dr ran blood test and said it was a virus along with the ear infection. So just last night the fever went away and she started acting like herself again ( plus a cough). Then this morning I noticed a small rash on her belly. Over the day it has spread to her chest. Small pink dots. Doesn't seen to bother her. I've googled rash after fever and round Roseola. Plan to call dr on Monday but since her fever is gone and she's acting more like herself I'm not super worried. However my mom is freakng out.
Anyone with similar experince or does this sound like Roseola for those that have had it?

Tia!

Xposted

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any experience with Roseola?

• My daughter had it. We went to pediatrician because she wasn't acting like herself for a few days and had a fever. She was tugging her ear so I thought she may have had an ear infection. Her ears were clear but he did some bloodwork that showed she had a virus but we didn't know what kind of virus. He only did the blood test to make sure it wasn't bacterial and would need antibiotics. Sent us home, no meds (we prefer not to medicate unless necessary and he didn't think they were necessary.) Her fever broke night and the next day the rash appeared. The rash started around her neck and moved to her face and stomach, then legs, then it was gone within 24 hours and she was fine. 

I did copy this from the Dr. Sears website, where he says most rashes are not urgent except petechiae or purpura: 

This rash is called petechiae or purpura. It is caused by ruptured blood vessels under the skin. Petechiae appear as tiny, red, pinpoint, flat spots. They look as if someone used a fine-tip red ink pen to put little dots on the skin. Purpura is similar, but is larger and can be more purple or blue in color. The two most important signs that you can use to distinguish these spots from other rashes are:

• They don’t blanch when you press on them. Many other kinds of spots, when pressed, will turn white or skin colored for 1 or 2 seconds, and then turn red again. Petechiae and purpura will stay red or purple. They won’t blanch at all when pressed.
    • They are completely flat. Because they occur under the skin, you won’t be able to feel any bump.

There is one situation where petechiae are not urgent. If your child has a very bad cough or is vomiting, the pressure in the head can cause little blood vessels in the skin of the face and neck to rupture and form petechiae. THESE PETECHIAE ARE OK. THEY ARE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

PETECHIAE OR PURPURA FOUND ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE BODY BESIDES THE FACE AND NECK COULD BE A SIGN OF A BLEEDING PROBLEM OR A SERIOUS INFECTION. IF YOU SUSPECT THIS RASH YOU SHOULD SEE YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY, OR BE EVALUATED IN AN ER AFTER HOURS.

• DD1 had it a couple of years ago. The worst of it is the fever- so she should definitely be on the med now! 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"