December 2013 Moms
Options

30 minute naps

Is anyone else still dealing with these?! It's brutal! Actually, I'm lucky if I get 30 minutes - usually closer to 25. I know I probably just need to wait for her to consolidate sleep on her own, but it's killing me! The other day she took 6 naps. She is usually happy when she wakes up but needs to go back down after only 1.5 hours, which makes me think it's not enough. I've tried going in and patting her bum, rocking her, keeping her in her crib for a while after she wakes up - nothing works! I want so badly for her to take nice long, restorative naps. Do I just have to wait it out?

Re: 30 minute naps

• Options
    MissyC979MissyC979 member
    edited June 2014
    Yes, he will only take long naps if I'm holding him. Crib naps are typically 20-40 minutes.

ETA: Going back down between 90 to 120 minutes isn't uncommon at this age.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    30 minute naps are my life. We are lucky if she naps 3 times a day. However she is a pretty good night time sleeper, so I'll take the shorter naps during the day.
    This sounds like my DD.  Her naps are usually 20-30 minutes, maybe 2-3 times a day.  But she sleeps like a champ at night so I just try to remind myself that we're really lucky in that respect.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    She only sucks at napping if shes with me, apparently at the babysitters she sleeps for hours. 
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
  • Options
    Yup. 30 minutes at the most and usually only 2 times a day, MAYBE 3 if I'm lucky. Oh, and he's also a really shitty sleeper at night. Fun times.

• Options
    Another 30 minute napper over here.  DS usually naps for 30 minutes 4-5 times per day.  I would kill for a whole hour to take care of things at least once a day!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I am not alone! My LO was napping so well and now it's 2-3 30-45 minute naps if I'm lucky. She sleeps better at night if she naps longer in the afternoon. I've been trying to get her nap while I hold her because she will go longer. She was sleeping 2hrs in her crib. It's like she can't make it past the first sleep cycle.
  • Options
    My LO sucks at napping everywhere, for anyone. 30 min tops and it's a fight to get her asleep. Often whenever the fussing has stopped and I peek in, she's given up and is playing. Sleeping through the night now though, thankfully.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    bty19bty19 member
    edited June 2014
    Have you tried putting down 2 hours after being awake? I've mentioned it before on here but it's done WONDERS for my girl.  Doesn't matter if she is wide awake, seems happy, isn't showing signs of fatigue - 2 hours after last nap they go down.
    I used to only get 30 minuters as well....now they are at least  1- 1.5 hours.

*I can now push it to 2.5 hours of being awake, since we've been doing it for about a month now....after that she gets cranky.

• Options
    K has been a shitty napper from day one. Good night sleeper but I'm lucky if we get 20 minutes twice a day. I guess he's okay with that though BC he's not cranky or tired acting so I just roll with it.
  • Options
    bty19 said:

Have you tried putting down 2 hours after being awake? I've mentioned it before on here but it's done WONDERS for my girl.  Doesn't matter if she is wide awake, seems happy, isn't showing signs of fatigue - 2 hours after last nap they go down.

*I can now push it to 2.5 hours of being awake, since we've been doing it for about a month now....after that she gets cranky.

@bty19‌ I gave it a shot after you mentioned it recently. For this short period, at least, it has made a big difference for DS. This has been especially helpful in light of having to wean and working to get him to do most of his sleeping in the crib. Thanks for sharing your experience!

OP, some naps are an hour, but more often shorter in the last week. We're at 2-3x/day, sometimes 1 more if we also take a walk or are in the car. Nighttime is still brutal.
  • Options
    bty19bty19 member
    CLY80 said:

@bty19‌ I gave it a shot after you mentioned it recently. For this short period, at least, it has made a big difference for DS. This has been especially helpful in light of having to wean and working to get him to do most of his sleeping in the crib. Thanks for sharing your experience! OP, some naps are an hour, but more often shorter in the last week. We're at 2-3x/day, sometimes 1 more if we also take a walk or are in the car. Nighttime is still brutal.
    GOOD!! :)

• Options
    Same. Sometimes on the weekends he will nap better. Not sure why? Maybe because there's two of us to play with him. Lol. Who knows. But normally he has 45 min naps.
  • Options
    For those of you that have cat nappers, do they generally seem well rested after the nap?  LO is a cat napper here - anywhere form 3-5 naps/day from 30-40 minutes each.  I wouldn't mind, except for the fact that he usually wakes up crying and still seems tired.  We do CIO with him at night and have tried the same for naps, but once he's up, he's up.
  • Options
    He's rested. I'm not. Lol
  • Options
    @bty19‌ - she's not really ever up longer than 2 hours but I'll sometimes put her down after an hour or an hour and a half - do you do 2 hours no matter what or earlier if you notice sleepy cues?

Apparently now we've entered some sort of 6 month sleep regression, so that's all kinds of fun.
  • Options
    bty19bty19 member
    eccoogan said:
    @bty19‌ - she's not really ever up longer than 2 hours but I'll sometimes put her down after an hour or an hour and a half - do you do 2 hours no matter what or earlier if you notice sleepy cues? Apparently now we've entered some sort of 6 month sleep regression, so that's all kinds of fun.
    If I notice sleepy cues sooner then yes I put her down. Only happened a few times thought...2 hours is her magic number i think. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"