One & Done: Only child
Options

What I'm dealing with trying to hire someone for a position...

I just an awesome employee leave for a deal that I couldn't argue with (her husband got a job out of state making more money than they make together here) and her position posted yesterday. I already have almost 50 resumes and some of the stuff is hilarious:

• Under achievements: "Active blood donor: 4+ gallons."
  • Under "admirable qualities (which is kind of hilarious on a resume in itself)": "Donated to Toys for Tots for at least 5 years"
  • I'm not even through all of them and six of the cover letters are addressed to different companies/organizations

I am surprised by how many people didn't bother with a cover letter (toss). It's a creative position and a large number gave no links to an online portfolio (toss). Two people gave me no way to contact them, other than a home address (toss).

I now have 7 left and came across the first person that I'd actually even consider interviewing-- and I think they only look good because the others are so bad. I miss my awesome employee already.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What I'm dealing with trying to hire someone for a position...

• Options

I mean you have to give that person some credit. 4+ gallons of blood?

=)) At least we had a laugh out of it.

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• Options
    Maybe I should put this under UO, but I don't usually do cover letters...when I was doing hiring, I NEVER read them and always hated that it added to the stack of papers I had to go through. I'm not job hunting now but I guess this is something I should be worried about if I ever find myself in the job market again...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The blood donation mention is super strange!!

• Options
    Maybe I should put this under UO, but I don't usually do cover letters...when I was doing hiring, I NEVER read them and always hated that it added to the stack of papers I had to go through. I'm not job hunting now but I guess this is something I should be worried about if I ever find myself in the job market again...
    Everything's electronic for us so paper isn't a factor. Honestly, I don't read your cover letter unless you have good experience and a good portfolio and then I want to see how you communicate. If you're a terrible writer, use a lot of buzzwords without telling me anything or just reiterate your resume, I'll probably move on. That letter is the only thing that sets you apart from someone else with a similar education or a resume. If I'm between two people and one took the time write a well-thought out, personalized cover letter versus someone who did a crappy one or not at all, the first person is always going to win.

• Options
    I'm also about to hire someone new due to an out of state move, and now I'm bummed that I don't get to see the first round of resumes. Our HR director goes through them first and decides who I'm interviewing.
  • Options
    eyenigheyenigh member
    edited June 2014

kristennd said:
    I'm also about to hire someone new due to an out of state move, and now I'm bummed that I don't get to see the first round of resumes. Our HR director goes through them first and decides who I'm interviewing.
    Lol. You're missing out. You might have blood donors, too!

As an update, I made it through the rest of them (and there were 3 more by the end of the day) and I have one person that I might interview and he's just okay. This was a lot of work to come up with one mediocre contender. I may have to close the posting, let it stew for awhile and try to get a better batch in a couple of months.

• Options
    Oh, man. I wrote this long ass cover letter and I hope no one goes "toss." Job hunting is so damn stressful. There is a job I really really want and I have almost all the qualifications. Send me all your good vibes please!!!!

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Options
    Oh, man. I wrote this long ass cover letter and I hope no one goes "toss." Job hunting is so damn stressful. There is a job I really really want and I have almost all the qualifications. Send me all your good vibes please!!!!
    It really is stressful but I think writing a good, personalized letter shows that you're both interested and making a special effort to stand out-- you've already got an edge. I'm hiring for a creative position so on top of being qualified, you also have to have an aesthetic/style that will work well at this organization so it makes tossing a lot quicker on my part if I know your style doesn't mesh. I'm sure it's different for other fields.

• Options
    I'm late to this discussion but I used to manage an animal hospital. I once had someone send a resume with a picture of himself and a goat. He certainly stood out, lol!
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Deac130 said:
    I'm late to this discussion but I used to manage an animal hospital. I once had someone send a resume with a picture of himself and a goat. He certainly stood out, lol!
    What was he doing with the goat? This could go so many ways...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"